Options?...PVR for DirecTV + over the air analog TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are my options for PVR both DirecTV and Over-The-Air analog?

I live in the middle of nowhere (rural midwestern USA). I currently get most of my "cable" TV channels via DirecTV and I get all of my local network channels via over the air analog TV. I have two DirecTV receivers, one has the built-in Tivo PVR and the other is just a regular receiver. Currently I tune local TV stations on my TVs by switching the TV's input from AV to Antenna and entering the channel number. To record I have to use VHS tapes.

I would like to have one PVR for recording both DirecTV and my local stations. Here are the problems: My local stations are not available from DirecTV or DishNetwork, I have to get them via OTA. Only one of my local stations broadcasts in digital, the rest are still analog and are fighting the FCC because of the low population, so for at least the next year only my CBS station will be digital

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-29-2005, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

why not go with the directv hr10-250 hd tivo, laserjet?

it has 2 hd tuners and 2 ota tuners.

Just say no to cable.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

One problem I see with the HR10-250 I think it will only record the local digital broadcasts, not analog. Since you only have one channel in digital, that is the only one you will be able to record. (But in 2009 they will have to switch! (until they push back the date again...)) Any stand alone replay or tivo will do what you want, I personally like my replays.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM

I have only DTV since it does carry my local channels. I have two DirectTiVos and just bought a Pioneer DVR-633H because I want to archive some of the sat-stuff, plus archiving some camcorder stuff. It seems to me that the Pioneer would be a better choice than a stand-alone TiVo - sorry, no advice about Replay.

But assuming you don't have a compelling need for HiDef recording, here's why I think Pioneer might be a good choice for you:
1. It's basically cheap! If you don't need firewire, get the DVR-531H from Walmart at $298.
2. it will serve as PVR for your OTA channels
3. Although its built-in TV Guide has many problems, you can still use it for timer recordings, just like a VCR.
4. It provides archiving to DVD of everything you're watching, DTV or TiVo or OTA
5. If you ever need to archive camcorder stuff, that's available too.
6. It's control features are very sophisticated, 4 speeds forward & reverse, plus SlowMotion in 4 different speeds.

Regarding this last item, transport control, I thought TiVo's 30-skip was great until I hooked up the Pioneer a few weeks ago. It has hyperscan x1.33 with voice, meaning you can record news programs or sports, then watch AND listen in hyperspeed. I've taken to making copies of TiVo recording to the Pio's hard drive so I can use this feature. And instead of clicking x6 to get thru a 3-min commercial, it can jump forward by half, 1, 2, 3, 5 or 10 mins.

Other DVRs are available out there - Pana, Toshiba, others - But the impression I got by reading here, the Pioneer has equal or better video quality. Considering the $300 price, including an 80gig drive PLUS dual-layer DVD recording .... I just don't see anything comparable.

~ (sv_chamelea is my sailboat).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page