Archiving possible now or in future? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not own a DVR and I am interested in them only if they enable me to archive as much material as I want. I have stolen enough media via napster 1.0 in my life, and have the money to buy what I want now, so getting it for free or sharing the media really isn't an attraction for me. I do, however want to be able to store anything I pay the cable company for onto a hard drive for future viewing. Is there now, or do you see in the future, some protected means of expanding the hard drives on the DVRs? 200 Gigs just won't cut it for long with HD content.

To look upon our world as it truly exists, see through the eye, and not with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Depending on how much you wish to archive, even 2000 gigs won'y be enough for long because HD content is 10 gigs per hour!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r
I do, however want to be able to store anything I pay the cable company for onto a hard drive for future viewing. Is there now, or do you see in the future, some protected means of expanding the hard drives on the DVRs?
Well, there are cable DVRs out now that allow adding an external SATA hard drive (Scientific Atlanta hardware with SARA firmware) ... and there are the new Motorola DVRs with external SATA connection that would seem to allow the same thing at some point in the future (although I don't think anyone has reported success yet).

So ... expanding the hard drive seems a very realistic possibility ...

I would even expect more "flexible" possibilities in the future (like transferring via DTCP-IP or DTCP-1394 to a Windows Media Center, networked drive, portable device, etc) ...
post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2006, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good to hear. I was hoping that additional archiving capacity had not been Banished by the HDCP Gods. That withstanding, I have to believe dt_dc is seeing this clearly and that demand will bring about some more options in the near future. I appreciate the speedy reply, and even over the holidays!

To look upon our world as it truly exists, see through the eye, and not with it.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2006, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby3r
Good to hear. I was hoping that additional archiving capacity had not been Banished by the HDCP Gods. That withstanding, I have to believe dt_dc is seeing this clearly and that demand will bring about some more options in the near future. I appreciate the speedy reply, and even over the holidays!
There are several people, including myself who archive massive amount of HD material in uncompressed...full rez state. Just get a DVR with firewire out ...use a computer or DVHS...and your set to archive.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page