Comcast DVR Activation Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-30-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got Comcast HDTV - when the installer came out he said that they gave him the wrong HDTV cable box and he installed a Motorola HDTV Box with the Dual Tuner DVR . He said it wasn't worth his time to return with a different box and that the DVR should work fine - I wish i had asked him to test it . Only problem is that if I hit Record on the remote it says it is going to record but I can't seem to get access to watch anything that has been recorded. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work without contacting Comcast ?

Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD207
I just got Comcast HDTV - when the installer came out he said that they gave him the wrong HDTV cable box and he installed a Motorola HDTV Box with the Dual Tuner DVR . He said it wasn't worth his time to return with a different box and that the DVR should work fine - I wish i had asked him to test it . Only problem is that if I hit Record on the remote it says it is going to record but I can't seem to get access to watch anything that has been recorded. Anyone have any idea how I can get this to work without contacting Comcast ?
There's no way you can get it to record on your own since you're not subscribed to the DVR service (which is the ability to record) so right now the DVR is functioning merely as a cable box. The ability to record has to be activated by the cable company. Have you tried to create a Manual Recording?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2006, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi Randy

I have called Comcast but the CSR person refused to believe I had a box with the DVR !

I have tried recording some shows and when I hit record on the remote I get a message that the program is now being recorded . If I tried changing channels a message would appear on my tv's screen that I am recording a program and do I want to stop recording to change channels. I have recorded a couple of programs but have not been able to access them.

I'm not really sure how to create a manual recording if it's different from what I have described above.

Thanks,
Bob
post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD207
Hi Randy

I have called Comcast but the CSR person refused to believe I had a box with the DVR !

I have tried recording some shows and when I hit record on the remote I get a message that the program is now being recorded . If I tried changing channels a message would appear on my tv's screen that I am recording a program and do I want to stop recording to change channels. I have recorded a couple of programs but have not been able to access them.

I'm not really sure how to create a manual recording if it's different from what I have described above.
Hmmm, it must be an account setting. Comcast's DVR is a dual-tuner unit, so you should be able to record AND watch another channel at the same time. The interface is TERRIBLE, especially compared to a TiVo...but TiVo doesn't have a unit for HDTV, yet, so there you are.

For my unit, pressing the MY DVR button brings up a list of recorded shows. You can set recordings by either manually hitting the record button (although sometimes it doesn't work on my device) or by picking a program on the Guide and pressing the enter button (and then selecting Record from that menu).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page