Help! Can't get vid/Svid from SA 8000HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-01-2006, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I am trying to use the Video or S-Video outputs from an SA Explorer 8000HD to record programs to a DVD recorder. The Component output works fine, but I don't have a Philips recorder!

I tried setting the only allowable resolution to 480i, I tried unplugging the component cables and rebooting. I couldn't find a menu option or a switch specifically to enable composite outputs. I called the cable company and they said it should default to video/Svideo mode.

While the box is rebooting, a boot screen comes up on the S-Video output, but no video appears after that. So the connection is good.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is something wrong with my box?

thank you!
--Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-03-2006, 04:31 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavisloop
Hello,
I am trying to use the Video or S-Video outputs from an SA Explorer 8000HD to record programs to a DVD recorder. The Component output works fine, but I don't have a Philips recorder!

I tried setting the only allowable resolution to 480i, I tried unplugging the component cables and rebooting. I couldn't find a menu option or a switch specifically to enable composite outputs. I called the cable company and they said it should default to video/Svideo mode.

While the box is rebooting, a boot screen comes up on the S-Video output, but no video appears after that. So the connection is good.

Am I missing something obvious? Or is something wrong with my box?
On the SA8000HD, the default is HD mode and in this mode only the Component outputs are active, and all other outputs are disabled. Setting it to output only 480i won't activate the S-Vid output, it'll simply send 480i out over the Component connection but the other outputs remain inactive.

You didn't say if your box is running SARA or Passport software but with Passport you can manually put the DVR into "SD Mode" which activates the S-Video output and disables Component. I've done this and recorded some shows onto my DVD recorder but sent them at 480i over S-Video.

If it's running Passport software, to put it into SD Mode: simultaneously press the Vol- and Channel+ keys ON THE BOX then release them and hopefully the front display will show "SD". I usually have try it more than a few times before it will stick in SD mode but persistence pays off. Do the same procedure to switch back to HD mode when you're done.

If your box has SARA software then i don't know if this trick works or not. If you can turn your 8000HD in for an 8300HD then that one has all outputs active so you don't have to go through the manual procedure.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page