Panasonic DMREH50S "Problem" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have had a Panasonic DMREH50S since last July, and have been very pleased with it in all respects. However, now we are having a "problem" and I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. Perhaps it is something obvious which I am overlooking, but I don't think so.

For the last few months, my wife has had the DVR record "Young & Restless" on Channel 2 each weekday at 12:30-1:30 PM and it has worked fine.

However, since sometime during the week preceding Christmas (I don't know exactly when since we were out of town for the week) it appears to have stopped automatically making the recording each day. The schedule entry was, as far as I can tell, unchanged from what had been working fine or at least that is how it appears to me. I tried deleting it and adding it again (totally manually, using VCR Plus, using TV Guide, whatever) but no luck.....12:30 PM would arrive but recording wouldn't start.

Did some further experimenting, and this is what appears to be the case: scheduled recordings on any channel but 2 (I tried several others) seem to work entirely as intended. However, if you schedule a recording from Channel 2 and the machine's power is off when the start time arrives, it never goes into record. If you happen to be standing there and manually turn the power on during the desired show, it starts recording from that point. On the other hand, recordings of programs on Channel 2 automatically begin just fine **if** the DVR's power has been left on.

Does this sound familiar to anyone ???

Thank you in advance ! Will watch this forum for replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 07:47 PM

We have recently been experiencing a similar problem. We no longer seem to be able to record Ebert and Roper on Sat or Sunday evening.

Based on what you said I am going to experiment with recording something on a different channel right before it to see if it will "wake it up". I haven't noticed whether the show would have been recorded if the set had been on, but if I turn the set on in the middle of when it should have been recording it doesn't start at that point. This is Channel "7" for us. We have a DMR95.

I'll keep you posted.

Judy
Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your message, Judy. I'd be interested in what you find out.

Meanwhile, the original problem taping Y&R from our Channel 2 each weekday from 12:30-1:30 PM no longer appears to be there. Once again, I emphasize that I didn't change a thing (as near as I can determine, anyhow) and it has been working fine for the last week......automatically powering up at the correct time & capturing the show.

My wife hopes it stays that way, but more importantly I would like to understand what happened during the month or so in which the unit acted incorrectly.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I happened across some discussion in a somewhat-unrelated mailing list which may give some insight into what we've been experiencing with our DVRs failing to record programs for no apparent reason.

I had forgotten that there is a "copy protection" flag in the NTSC vertical interval ..... more details, for example, can be found at Wikipedia under "CGMS-A"

Anyhow the observation was made that he too had encountered problems recording one of his favorite shows, and had traced it back to one of the networks and/or affiliates mucking about with the CGMS and setting it differently .... coincidentally around the time that they began offering episodes for $$ "on demand". Once the flag was set properly again, then everything seemed to work OK.

So I wonder if that is what we've been experiencing.....when a regularly scheduled recording which has been made "like clockwork" in the past suddenly fails to happen --- and then just as mysteriously begins working again a few days or weeks later.

Does anyone know if the Panasonic DVRs (particularly the DMREH50S, but I suspect that they probably all act alike) honor the wishes of the CGMS-A bits ? All that the Wikipedia article says is that "some DVD recorders" comply.

If this indeed were the case, would it explain the symptoms of a missed recording which leaves no clue behind ?

Will watch for any & all replies.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back.

I tried 2 experiments.

One was recording a show on a different station right before recording Ebert and Roper. That didn't work.

The other was recording a show on a different station that ended 1/2 hour before recording Ebert and Roper. That works.

Seems like there is nothing else I record on E&R's station, so I never noticed that the machine won't "wake up" to record that station. I've gotten all the shows successfully now for a month. Go figure! Thanks for the input.

Judy