Will only show the DVD welcome screen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-08-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After recording a few shows on my DMREH50 at a friends place I dubbed them as usual and brought the disks upstairs to a different DVD player to test them out. They didn't work. Well, they kinda' worked. Here's what's going on.

When you turn on any DVD player first you see some sort of screen that says 'Sony or Panasonic (or whatever brand) DVD' most often with a DVD graphic. Basically what you see if the DVD player is on but there is no disk in it.

After I put in any of the disks I'd made, the machine would read them but not get rid of this welcome screen. The DVD top menu would be on the screen you just couldn't see it! I know it was there because when I moved the menu cursor around the yellow box appeared (superimposed on this welcome screen)and moved to where another thumbnail would be. Pressing play started playing the title but still this screen would not go away. You would hear the program while watching the DVD welcome screen. Fun eh?

This was the case with all the formats I tried +/- R/RW. Luckily I also had another homemade DVD, made on another system, to test it with. Lo and behold this other disk plays just fine. It's only disks from my Panny that do this. My disks play in many other machines including my first gen. PS2.

When you're into this DVD stuff you have to accept some level of incompatibility (we all have). But this sounds strange to me.

To me this sounds like a media compatibility issue for this particular machine. As it did play a Fuji DVD-RW(from other system) but not a Maxell DVD-RW(my Panny). Is this common? Or does Panasonic do something different?
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page