How do I sell my TiVo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all:

I have a 140-hour TiVo that I want to sell, since I'm getting a Comcast DVR and I already have another TiVo with a lifetime subscription. I have two questions:

1) It doesn't look like TiVo is manufacturing these units anymore, so I'm not sure what price I should aim for on eBay and craigslist, and I received this particular unit for free from TiVo (by getting them 5 new subscribers during a crazy promotion last fall). The more important question though, is does anyone know why TiVo stopped making this unit? I want to be prepared for questions, etc., from potential buyers...

2) Aside from the basic resetting of the TiVo, do I have to worry about any personal information being retained on the unit when I hand it off to a stranger?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM

first off just throw it on ebay or craigs list, put the model number and someone will be interested. If it has a lifetime subscription on it youll get more, of not you wont get much.

As far as clearing all data, in the menu there is an option for reseting to factory that will erase everything and put it back in setup mode jsut like when you took it out of the box for the first time.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What Should I Do If I Sell or Give Away My DVR?

09-50-01 Search Reference Number

If you sell or give away your TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR), you will need to perform the following steps:

Step one: If you have monthly service, you should cancel your TiVo service. Remember that Product Lifetime service accompanies the DVR, not the person, so it cannot be cancelled. For information on canceling or transferring TiVo service, go to How Do I Transfer My TiVo Service to a New Owner?

Step two: You may want to clear and delete all recordings and preferences; this will clear all Season Passes, Wish Lists, and settings, and will return the DVR to its out-of-box state. For information on clearing your DVR, go to How Do I Delete or Clear All Recordings and Preferences?

How Do I Transfer My TiVo Service to a New Owner?

09-06-09 Search Reference Number

Choose the type of TiVo service you want to transfer:

* Monthly service – You must first cancel your monthly service: to do so, please contact TiVo Customer Support at 877-367-8486 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM PST. The new owner of the TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR) must then activate service on the DVR. To activate TiVo service, go to tivo.com/activate .

* Product Lifetime service – Remember that Product Lifetime service accompanies the DVR, not the person. For more information on Product Lifetime service, see Product Lifetime Service. To transfer your Product Lifetime service to a new owner, either you or the new owner must call TiVo Customer Support at 877-367-8486 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM PST. If you call, please have the contact information available for the new owner.

:cool: On a side note what model Tivo is it? I might be intrested... ;)

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhdvrod
first off just throw it on ebay or craigs list, put the model number and someone will be interested. If it has a lifetime subscription on it youll get more, of not you wont get much.

As far as clearing all data, in the menu there is an option for reseting to factory that will erase everything and put it back in setup mode jsut like when you took it out of the box for the first time.
Thanks for the tip guys!
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page