DVR without subscription? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do they make a DVR that does not require a monthly subscription or lifetime subscription? I'd be happy with something that worked like a VCR.

Do they make the above type of unit that can record HDTV and has an HDTV tuner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2006, 08:52 PM

there are quire a few DVD-RW devices out there that also have DVR capabilities built in, Toshiba, Panasonic are just 2 of them, and there is always the option of Microsoft Media Center
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

IIRC, Sony makes a line of DVR's (though they may only be HD-DVR's) that have 250gig and 500gig Hard Drives...I saw them at Tweeter and the Salesman said they use the free TVG service...no subscription...I have heard that the TVG service is pretty bare bones and although it does give start/end/total run times, that is about it...

Hitachi CMP-4202U Pro 42" HD Plasma
Samsung LN-S2338W 23" Flat Panel LCD
Sony SVR-3000 460 Hour Network DVR w/Tivo
Tivo Series Two 40 Hour
Sony RDR-GX-7
Sony RDR-GX-300
Sony RDR GX-315
post #4 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I wouldn't call TV Guide on Screen "bare bones". It does a lot more than just the things you mention and can be very useful. Check out the HDTV Recorders and the DVD Recorders threads to learn more about it and the DVR's.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by boconnor55
IIRC, Sony makes a line of DVR's (though they may only be HD-DVR's) that have 250gig and 500gig Hard Drives...I saw them at Tweeter
I think Sony has discontinued both their DVRs. They're no longer on the Sonystyle site either (unless they moved them to where i can no longer find them).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
My local Tweeter had the 500 in stock when I was there the other night (didn't ask about the 250). Might wanna check there website or stores.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There may be an easy solution, but let me double check before you take the chance.
I bought a Tivo a free months ago, activated it with my credit card (made a one year commitment). They said I could cancel the one year subscription within 30 days. Well, I decided I didn't like the PQ and a few other annoyances enough to justify paying the monthly fee, so after 3 weeks, I cancelled the subscription.
My Tivo no longer had access to programming info (like what's on, what time, a description etc) but I found that it now acted like a simple digital VCR. I could program it record a certain time, certain channel, certain quality setting, one, weekly, everyday etc. Just like a standard VCR. This was about 3 weeks after I cancelled.
That was probably2-3 months ago, so I double anything has changed. I'll check and see if it's still in that state, and if so I'll give you model/firmware number of the Tivo.
Its a simple solution, and only costs as much as a regular Tivo (but you can't use that big rebate they are usually offering.)
The other non-subscription DRVs cost 3 times as much, and Tivo with lifetime subscription costs 2 and half times as much as the standard 40 hour Tivo, so this is a cheap way out for a digital VCR.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page