TimeWarner DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2006, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With a TimeWarner DVR system, which has its own tuners, is it necessary/advisable to use a flat screen plasma HDTV (e.g. Panasonic TH-42PX50U) that also has tuners, or would a simple monitor (with speakers) suffice? With the DVR (with tuners) connected to the HDTV monitor (without tuners), can one record on one channel while still watching another? I haven’t purchased either yet, but question whether tuners are necessary with the HDTV if the DVR is in line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2006, 06:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwroth
With a TimeWarner DVR system, which has its own tuners, is it necessary/advisable to use a flat screen plasma HDTV (e.g. Panasonic TH-42PX50U) that also has tuners, or would a simple monitor (with speakers) suffice? With the DVR (with tuners) connected to the HDTV monitor (without tuners), can one record on one channel while still watching another? I haven’t purchased either yet, but question whether tuners are necessary with the HDTV if the DVR is in line.
You didn't say which DVR your TWC division is using, but my area uses the SA8300HD and it does have two tuners so it can record two channels at the same time and it doesn't matter what kind of TV is connected to it. You can record one channel while watching another, or you can record two channels while watching a previously recorded program from your hard drive.

With the TH-42PX50U (which is the one i have) i use the TV's tuner solely for Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts to get the local HD channels that TWC does not offer, but otherwise i watch EVERYTHING through the DVR. I actually have two DVRs connect to this TV (see my setup link below). They work great with my plasma.

If you get a plasma without a tuner the DVR will function exactly the same, but i like having the tuner built in to the TV for the extra OTA channels and for the rare times when the cable goes out for a few hours.

By the way - you can't purchase a TWC DVR anywhere - you have to rent it from them. Do NOT buy one off EBay because it will not work on TWC's system (or anyone else's system for that matter).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 4 Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Randy. You confirm what I suspected. Since I only watch cable TV from TW, I plan to use the tuners in their digital cable box and upgrade to a 42" HDTV plasma without tuners but with speakers. So far, however, I have not found such a Panasonic set - only a monitor without either tuner or speaker (TH-42PM50U). Hatichi lists such a HDTV (42HDM12) but I haven't found a source (local dealer or onsite) for it yet.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwroth
Thanks, Randy. You confirm what I suspected. Since I only watch cable TV from TW, I plan to use the tuners in their digital cable box and upgrade to a 42" HDTV plasma without tuners but with speakers. So far, however, I have not found such a Panasonic set - only a monitor without either tuner or speaker (TH-42PM50U). Hatichi lists such a HDTV (42HDM12) but I haven't found a source (local dealer or onsite) for it yet.
Actually the Panny TH-42PM50U does have speakers, but it does not have any sort of tuner. It's also an ED model, not HD. This model is sold only at Costco and BJs as far as i know.

I think you might be thinking about the Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK which is their Commercial model. It does not have a tuner or speakers, but you can easily connect a pair of inexpensive bookshelf speakers to the speaker outputs if you're not using an H/T reciever.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page