Do all DVR's display a TV signal at a lesser quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my first DVR tonight and hooked it up. I have cable and every channel is considerably less quality than normal. I assume that the DVR is just recording at the lowest quality. There is no way to change the quality on my Motorola Mediacom DVR though. Why is there no option to change the quality?

I may switch to Tivo. Can you Tivo users tell me if the quality is the same as it would be with the cable plugged directly into the TV when on the highest quality level?

I've never heard of this drawback of DVR's. If they are all less quality even on highest quality level, there is no way I am switching. Why would someone want to degrade their picture quality just to pause live TV and record digitally? I wouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If the DVR is integrated into your DIGITAL cable or satellite receiver, directly receiving and recording the MPEG-2 stream, there is no loss of quality. If the DVR is hooked into the cable or satellite boxes OUTPUT. be it composite, S-video or component, these are analog decodes, and the signal must be re- encoded into MPEG-2 for recording. Hence loss of quality is inevitable with external DVRs, be it TiVo or otherwise.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a separate cable box. I had the coax cable plugged directly into the TV before to recieve the cable channels. Now that I have bought the DVR I have the coax plugged directly into it, and then composite cables outputting from it to the TV.

When I switch over to the High Definition channels (through the DVR) they look fine, but the normal cable channels are all compressed and fuzzy and look much worse than if the coax were directly plugged into the TV.

I read a few places that the Motorola DVR that I have records at 3 different settings based on what channel you are watching (worst for normal, middle for digital, and best for high definition). But I don't think there is any way to change it. Why would they not allow you to change it. Shouldn't it be my choice whether I want to record at a higher quality or not?

Is Tivo like this too?
post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 AM

The moto DVR boxes are known to have problems with analog channels (usually the channels below 100). Just hope your area moves to all digital soon.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2006, 04:48 PM

All DVRs lose quality on analog channels. Some are worse than others.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed a 5-1000 MHz, 3-5dB, 2-way splitter at the wall just before the cable box. When I wish to watch content that's still analog, below channel 100, I use the direct cable link. When I wish to watch the digital tier, I switch to my component inputs from the cable box.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page