SA8300HD - Subscription are odd...? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2006, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I swear, it cannot be this silly. Has anyone tried setting up recordings on this box? I had a tivo but with a new HD TV, I figured it was time to upgrade. So I opened up the box and got started trying to replicate all my subscriptions in the new DVR. But I am completely confounded by the interface.

1) I search by title
2) I only find half the shows because for some reason the programming on several of the channels is blank once you get more than 18 hours in the future.
3) I find a title...I hit record. Nothing happens. I hit select...It dumps me to the channel that the program will be on in 10 hours.

What the heck is going on? Is it really true that the only way to set up a "season pass" for a show is to find it on the Guide and record from there? Or is there some other way to do it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 03:48 PM

search for the title, when u find it hit the record button on the remote it will bring up dialog box where u can choose record one-episode or all episodes. Select all episodes and press the A in a triangle button (or whatever it tells u too press, I'm using comcast might be different buttons) Anyway after u press that, it will ask u if you want to "record all eps. on this chan. in this time slot" "all episodes on this chan. in any timeslot" and "All first-run episodes on this chan." Select which one u want hit the button to confirm and there ya go.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, for me when I tell it to record, it just dumps me to the channel that the title is on...I then have to enter the guide and scroll foreward to get to the show and record from there.

Gawd this interface sucks. Today I wanted to record the Grammy's. Of course this conflicts with the two shows I've already scheduled to record, and so have to pick one. On Tivo, you just tell it which show to record. On the SA8300, you have to actually cancel the subscription to the show. So in order to record a one time event, I have to cancel my subscription to a show, and just hope that I remember to set it up later. That is really stupid.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2006, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbramlet
yeah, for me when I tell it to record, it just dumps me to the channel that the title is on...I then have to enter the guide and scroll foreward to get to the show and record from there.

Gawd this interface sucks. Today I wanted to record the Grammy's. Of course this conflicts with the two shows I've already scheduled to record, and so have to pick one. On Tivo, you just tell it which show to record. On the SA8300, you have to actually cancel the subscription to the show. So in order to record a one time event, I have to cancel my subscription to a show, and just hope that I remember to set it up later. That is really stupid.
Ditto for me too. I just came from Dish and the "press" record and get dumped to the channel you are watching is really freaking annoying.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ditto for me too. I just came from Dish and the "press" record and get dumped to the channel you are watching is really freaking annoying.
Yup. My friend went through this 6 months ago. I thought he was crazy when he returned his SA8300 and plunked down ~$800 for a Tivo Dish PVR with lifetime subscription. Who would ever think that a little UI wierdness was worth that much money?

Well then I started using the device. I'm not sure that it is ~$800-bad, but if I had a windfall of cash, I could imagine going for the Tivo interface. It is just SO MUCH BETTER!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
First determine which software you have on the 8300HD by using the following post in the Scientific Atlanta HD PVR's / HD STB MASTER THREAD: ALL Posts/Links Here Only Please! :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6225742

The first post has links to various threads about the Scientific Atlanta HD PVRs.

If you have SARA software, look at the first post in the SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA thread for general information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4682052

If you have Passport software, look at the SA 8000HD & 8300HD w/ Passport software (TWC) thread for general information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=453804&page=1
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page