Comcast HD DVR Woes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-09-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here in the Bay Area our Comcast HD DVR decided to stop recording the SuperBowl at the beginning of the halftime show. Nothing new... whenever it gets to be more than 50% full it's a crap shoot when you try to record. It was at 49% when I started it, so I thought "how hard can it be to record the rest of the game?" Too hard obviously. At 70% full it called it off, coincidently at the moment the halftime show was to start.

The real fun begins if it gets to 90% or more. Response time to the remote slows dramatically, and eventually stops altogether.

If you turn off the Comcast box (NOooo!!!) then when you turn it back on you have to play a recording in order to get the live picture to work again. If the DVR was recording at the time, bless its heart, then when you turn the box back on it is muted and you can see the word MUTE at the top edge of the screen. The only way to turn the Comcast Mute off is to have the remote use different IR codes depending on whether the TV or Cable button was last pressed. Press the Cable button then Mute, and the sound is back.

A bad box, perhaps? We've had it replaced and the newer box behaves exactly the same. But at least it was unfrozen. The Comcast service people neither know nor care how the box works. They don't do anything to diagnose an issue with the box, all they do is replace the box.

We have a DirecTivo HD at another location and in comparison it is really frustrating having to use the clumsy Comcast interface. Tivo is simple, reliable, responsive. The remote's easy to use, the record button actually RECORDS, and it's much easier to manage recordings. FF/RW works reliably and predictably even on HD shows, which some people have found to be a problem on Comcast boxes. (We don't dare record HD shows on our Comcast box because they fill up the DVR too fast, and then it stops working.)

Someday there will be a Tivo box for Comcast, and you all will be somewhere behind me in the line to get one, cuz I'm getting it as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-11-2006, 03:10 PM

At least I'm not the only one to have problems with this thing. The Tivo Series 3 (HD with dual tuner) is said to be available sometime in the second half of 2006. Probably right before Christmas. You will be behind me however as I can't wait to go back to TiVo. Have you had any problems with playback. During HD playback the thing stutters sometimes, especially when it is recording something else. Just wondered if it was just me.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2006, 05:17 PM

Is the Comcast box the SA8300HD? If so, I have the exact same problems. Plus the interface is the dumbest thing in the world.

I ask it to record the grammies, and it turns out Lost and Good Eats are on at the same time. "Ok," says I, "Don't record Good Eats, since it is on all the time."

BLOOP

No more Good Eats subscription. In order to record a one time show, I had to cancel my subscription. This is highly, highly stupid.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM

Mine just decided to record NCIS. I don't even know what that show is. Anyone else have the thing start recording random shows?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btl-a4
Mine just decided to record NCIS. I don't even know what that show is. Anyone else have the thing start recording random shows?

Did you have it set to record something else in that time slot that perhaps went on hiatus and was replaced with NCIS?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 03:58 PM

Could be that a program got switched, but shouldn't the box pick up the change? Another goofy deal.... I spent 5 minutes reordering my season pass priority list. Only to have it revert back to where it was before. Great OS these guys have developed. I have a feeling when the TiVo HD box comes out Comcast is going to have alot of these motorolas returned to thier offices.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btl-a4
Could be that a program got switched, but shouldn't the box pick up the change? Another goofy deal.... I spent 5 minutes reordering my season pass priority list. Only to have it revert back to where it was before. Great OS these guys have developed. I have a feeling when the TiVo HD box comes out Comcast is going to have alot of these motorolas returned to thier offices.

A Tivo would most likely pick up the switch, but I doubt Comcast DVRs will ever be that smart. Like you said, when the Tivo Series 3 comes out, my Comcast box gets returned.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hah! At least you GOT the recording, even with a stutter. Stop whining... =) Many times we find that there is no actual recording. When you try to play it, it has zero duration and it's as if you've reached the end. What I wonder about is how did Comcast manage to make software that's so inept? It's so clunky, so unreliable, so prone to random problems that it beggars the imagination. Even if they were trying to screw it up, how would they produce something this bad? I have to assume that it is a random combination of hardware defects, sloppy software, and brittle, unreliable schedule/space management. Because the cable service itself, the connection, is always rock solid.

You will definitely be behind me in getting the Series 3, trust me. I'll find a way to get the first four boxes that get shipped if I have to camp out in the parking lot and bribe the truck drivers. But then you're welcome to get as many as you want, too.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page