Motorola DCT6412: moving recorded files? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 91 Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefs85 View Post

No one has talked about the SATA port on the DCT6412III. Any expandability there? The only way I have captured encrypted HD and SD is through the Blackmagic Pro Multibridge. I think a complete firmware overhaul is in order for this box. If Motorola won't do it, someone else should.

It has been talked about. The SATA port is disabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 AM

Man this box had SO many potential allowances, I remember when i worked on it! But it's all the other hands in the cookie jar that keep the box from being "Really" used as it was designed to :-( I am working on a few projects right now and a good friend is a very prominent class action attorney who has a strong reputation in getting things the way they should. I remember when he took on the case allowing consumers to copy/duplicate DVDs including them to be duplicated and stored at multiple dwellings. From what I recall in our many chats he has never lost a case! Should be interesting where the whole round of IPTV providers and hardware vendors will take us this year!

-matt
techniglobal.com
post #63 of 91 Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM

I personally have a lot of show seasons on my hard drive from my dvr. It is time consuming, but is possible. As far as saved files, just play them and they will show as "live tv through the firewire port. Most firewire ports on motorola's are active. This is what I used. You will need a file compression program and a file converter that is capable of converting .ts to avi files.

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html
post #64 of 91 Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Thanks, but I think you've missed the point.

Most of us have used this method to "download" data/video from the PVR into our hard drives on a PC. However, it is too time consuming for my liking. I don't really want to "archive" the show on my PC. What I want (and I think the others want) is to have a TRANSPARENT system where the only change is increased storage space for the PVR. We do NOT want to archive the video, just be able to store more of it for use with the PVR, in the same way that the PVR currently stores and plays back video.

So far, it would seem that this is simply not possible, unless someone can "hack" the firmware and rewrite the code (as has been done with DVB-based satellite boxes). The user base for Motorola PVRs just isn't into this sort of thing, so it'll likely never happen.

The only way I could see that space will increase would be in the future they'll come out with an updated PVR model which will either have more storage space and/or will use H.264 compression to increase the amount of storage space.
post #65 of 91 Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM

1) set top box with firewire
2) connect firewire to Mac first then set top box, power on set top box first
3) use AVCVideoCap can be downloaded for free from Apple Developer site
4) use SHD 26 that's latest version you don't need to install it just open the .dmg and pull AVCVideoCap
5) of course you use the DVR to record your program
6) AVCVideoCap captures the .m2t file to the Mac, has a set timer on it
7) use VLC to test out .m2t, if video & audio play then
8) then use transcode function to get to mp4 video and audio
9) use free MPEGStreamClip with Apple QTMPEG plugin
10) use in MPEGStreamClip other ie if for ipod or Apple TV or whatever.

Once done it will play in ipod video, that .m2t file became a mp4 file then an m4v file for ipod. Looks great on ipod and ipod to plasma tv.

Remember all .m2t files are not the same. You'll be frustrated but most will be ok. Some you'll just have to give up and trash. Chocolat is a primary example.
post #66 of 91 Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'll be testing out the remove the hard drive method and popping it into a fedora 8 or Kubuntu 7.10 box. If that allows me to copy I will be overjoyed
post #67 of 91 Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 AM

I have a DCT6412 that I used at a previous address. It is full with recordings that I have not watched. I do not have comcast cable service at my new address yet. Without active comcast service, it will not enable the DVR. I simply want to watch the contents of the DVR then return it. Any ideas on how to activate the DVR (just the viewing portion) without service? Somewhere in the diagnosis menu or somewhere?

Thanks
post #68 of 91 Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm269 View Post

I have a DCT6412 that I used at a previous address. It is full with recordings that I have not watched. I do not have comcast cable service at my new address yet. Without active comcast service, it will not enable the DVR. I simply want to watch the contents of the DVR then return it. Any ideas on how to activate the DVR (just the viewing portion) without service? Somewhere in the diagnosis menu or somewhere?

You cannot. The DVR was designed specifically to prevent what you want to do. If customers want to use the DVR, they must have an active subscription with DVR service on their account.

The DVR is automatically deauthorized every time the power is unplugged. It remains a doorstop until it is re-authorized by the cable company.

If you want the freedom to move recordings from one provider to another, then you'll have to buy a TivoHD or another third-party DVR.
post #69 of 91 Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Hey I have been browsing this forum for a long time and I decided to join today. I have a problem right now as I can not move my recorded files. I have a Motorola DCT 6412 and I am able to access some recordings on my computer but most channels seem to be encrypted. I checked the 5c implementation and it says no, and under the CCI it says 0X02 which apparently indicates that the channel is encrypted. So I was just wondering is there anyway to disable this encryption? If anyone has any answers it would be very helpful. Thanks.
post #70 of 91 Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuinely fake View Post

Hey I have been browsing this forum for a long time and I decided to join today. I have a problem right now as I can not move my recorded files. I have a Motorola DCT 6412 and I am able to access some recordings on my computer but most channels seem to be encrypted. I checked the 5c implementation and it says no, and under the CCI it says 0X02 which apparently indicates that the channel is encrypted. So I was just wondering is there anyway to disable this encryption? If anyone has any answers it would be very helpful. Thanks.

No, you cannot disable the encryption.

Protected (0x02) content can only be recorded to an authorized DTCP device like a JVC D-VHS VCR. Such content cannot be copied or viewed with a PC.
post #71 of 91 Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM

any update on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

I'll be testing out the remove the hard drive method and popping it into a fedora 8 or Kubuntu 7.10 box. If that allows me to copy I will be overjoyed

post #72 of 91 Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung007 View Post

any update on this?

Recordings are stored encrypted, so if there's an update, it'll only be to say "it doesn't work, I couldn't play anything"...
post #73 of 91 Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfly View Post

I personally have a lot of show seasons on my hard drive from my dvr. It is time consuming, but is possible. As far as saved files, just play them and they will show as "live tv through the firewire port. Most firewire ports on motorola's are active. This is what I used. You will need a file compression program and a file converter that is capable of converting .ts to avi files.

http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html

Any VISTA drivers?? I do every step in the link provided and Vista does not find the driver so the PC does not properly communicate w/ the PVR box..

Seems I've read and search w/ no luck for the Vista driver!
post #74 of 91 Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis530 View Post

Any VISTA drivers?? I do every step in the link provided and Vista does not find the driver so the PC does not properly communicate w/ the PVR box..

Seems I've read and search w/ no luck for the Vista driver!

i can not even get it to work with XP!
post #75 of 91 Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 AM

i followed the instructions accordingly and now i have a problem. I installed accordingly, but later the AV/C device is now not found on the computer on the device manager. I bought a Firewire port card and fire wire cord and system finds this device all the time, but yet cant find the AV/C device. I have attempted to unplug and replug the cords in to the device but nothing happens. also i am using XP SP2, uninstalled the devices and reinstalled them, nothing. even went as far as restored the computer to previous time and still nothing. What the heck did i do wrong? HELP!!
post #76 of 91 Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

No, you cannot disable the encryption.

Protected (0x02) content can only be recorded to an authorized DTCP device like a JVC D-VHS VCR. Such content cannot be copied or viewed with a PC.

What if 1394 I/O DEVICE section you should see ACTIVE PORTS=1 (indicating the Firewire connection is active) and look at 5C IMPLEMENTATION value. If it is something other than 0 this means 5C protection is enabled and you won't be able to capture that channel.
what if it reads: 5C: NO
but reads for copy control: copy free
post #77 of 91 Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM

This thread started out in 2006 and it is still going strong in 2008. Two years later.....
So the ultimate question here is that according to Charter:

1. An e-Sata external hard drive can be hooked up to the Motorola DCT6416 III for added storage space now. There is a Sata port on the back of the box.

2. Space can be freed up by transfering shows to a VCR not a DVD. This information is on the Charter web site.

3. This still sucks.

I have allot of shows I have recorded with my Hauppage PVR-150 in regular NTSC. Hooked on Eureka, Doctor Who, Smallville, Chuck, Stargate Atlantis...

As you can see these channels are not HD and not totally encrypted. The PVR-150 did fine for regular recording under VMCE. This did no good for ATSC or QAM. So I bought a HVR-1600. It fried. So I bought a ATI All in Wonder 650 USB. A butt load of Driver issues.

So I got the Motorola DCT6416 III yesterday for the high def on my Hanspree 28". Hooked up the yellow, red, white to the PVR-150. This works ok for viewing and recording 1:1. Sucks for time recording. Still have not been able to get VMCE and Motorola to work with the remote so VMCE is usless this way. So a HVR-1600 might be the way to go again (on sale at Circuit City for $49.99-open box)

QAM is not supported under VMCE except for the new OEM's that came out this month.

So has anyone here been able to hook Vista-VMCE/Motorola-DCT-6416 III Via Firewire/USB/Ethernet/ Pick one, to back up the DVR in Motorola?

Two years later, someone here must be doing it. I DO NOT OWN A VCR! NOR DO I WANT TO BUY ONE! There are plenty of ways to transfer from VCR to PC/DVD afterwards, but screw that!
Cut the middleman out.
post #78 of 91 Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
post #79 of 91 Old 08-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux4Ever View Post

I hooked up the hard drive from my motorola DVR to a pc running Linux. At first it appears to be unformatted, but if you use partition magic or the like, you find 3 partitions. The first 2 seem to hold guide and programming information, but the last is filled with recorded programming. The programs are .tsp files, i think, and work well in linux for viewing. I have found no way to convert them into something windows will understand and I have no DVD burner on my Linux machine. This is where we are until the cable companies allow us to pull the files off over the useless firewire or even more useless USB. It all has to do with copy protction and "lossless" transfers. If space is truely your only concern, you can attach a mac harddrive (like one meant to increase the size of the mac mini) to the firewire port and you will have more space. Also an iPod will increase your DVR's harddrive capacity by whatever free space you have on it when you plug it into the firewire port.
Good luck all!

I cannot replicate your findings. The DVR drive shows up as unallocated on PartitionMagic 8.0 in Win Xp Pro SP3 and uisng GParted on Linux. I cannot see any partition information.

Has anyone else been able to actually see the partitions? If so, could you provide a screenshot?

Thanks,
Nick
post #80 of 91 Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 AM

Question To Motorola after google search for Motorola DVR DCH3411

How do I transfer my programs from my Motorola DVR to an external device like my computer or hard drive?

Answer
No. Currently you can't offload recorded content to any external device from a Motorola DVR, even though the data ports are there, the software doesn't support it yet. When the option becomes available through a software upgrade, it will be downloaded to DVR automatically by service providers/cable companies.

I play the dvr while I have connected my DVR/VHS Tape Player and played the program and recorded it on the DVR/VHS system (Sony). It doesn't come out in HD but it's there.
post #81 of 91 Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM

So let me get this straight, I've just researched and read a whole bunch of information and am not happy with the conclusion. I rent my DVR through my cable service provider (it is a dct 3416), and I have some shows recorded but as of yet unwatched. I plan on switching television service providers, the new one will be renting to me the Motorola VIP 1216 I believe.

From what I understand, there is no way to take the shows I have recorded on the 3416 and transfer them either to my computer/a flash drive/a hard drive then to the new dvr (1216), nor is there a way to do it directly, should i have both hooked up?

Cause if I'm SOL, that sucks. That's a lot of tv to cram in before I switch providers.

***I edited this because I discovered today that I have a 3416, NOT a 6412*** now i will search a bunch, i wasted 3 hours today on the wrong model.
post #82 of 91 Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PProph View Post

So let me get this straight, I've just researched and read a whole bunch of information and am not happy with the conclusion. I rent my DVR through my cable service provider (it is a dct 3416), and I have some shows recorded but as of yet unwatched. I plan on switching television service providers, the new one will be renting to me the Motorola VIP 1216 I believe.

[...]

Cause if I'm SOL, that sucks. That's a lot of tv to cram in before I switch providers.

***I edited this because I discovered today that I have a 3416, NOT a 6412*** now i will search a bunch, i wasted 3 hours today on the wrong model.

The exact model doesn't matter, if it's a DC{T,H}-{3,6}4xx unit, the story's going to be the same. The only way is via IEEE-1394, assuming your provider enables it, the programming isn't flagged as CCI 0x02, and that you have a PC with the right OS, a Firewire host controller, enough disk space, and can install the right software on it to transfer the recordings - which can only be transferred at real-time speed. (Yes, that's a lot of qualifications.) Sorry, but the eSATA, USB, etc. ports are irrelevant. The only other way would be via VHS, assuming no use of MacroVision, and you don't mind the step down in quality of VHS. Otherwise... well, I guess you could torrent the shows in question.
post #83 of 91 Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 AM

kinda what i surmised, thanks for verifying. Will probably end up torrenting what I can, and I guess we'll just be watching a lot of tv this weekend so I can switch providers.

The other thing is there is a commercial on there that my girlfriend wants to keep, i guess I'll just have to try and find that too over the interweb, cause I'm not going to go through a big pain in the @#% process for a 15 second commercial.

drag.
post #84 of 91 Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 PM

i have a dch6416 that is rented from the cable company. when i asked them how to do it i was told i need a software program that they do not have. i was told by the tech to go to best buy. i went there and they told me they dont have any such thing but i should be able to find it as a down load on line. i googled it before coming here and did not find anything. i posted something on here asking for help as did you. altho my model is slightly different from yours i believe that we both need the same thing. also, i guess i am not the most computer literate person around, what is everyone talking about when they say fire wire? the only thing i recognize by looking at the box is the usb port on it. there are others as well but i dont know what they all are.
post #85 of 91 Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM

thanks to the people i have spoken toat my cable provider i have come up with what i believe is a way to get the stored shows out of the dvr. i have yet to try this but from what i hear it does work. as soon as i get the fire wire i will be trying it myself.
post #86 of 91 Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM

here is the url you need. sorry, i couldnt post this before. the forum wouldnt let me.
post #87 of 91 Old 10-02-2008, 01:59 PM

ok, i just checked this, and for some reason the url didnt post so lets try it again. http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/ hopefully this works this time.
post #88 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM

looks like i need three posts before I can post a link. Heres one.
post #89 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM

post #90 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement