DCT6412 III HDMI won't work (sometimes) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 340 Old 08-24-2006, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comcast certainly does download updates to their STBs. As usual the CS rep is dead wrong.

Unfortunately you can't just ask for it. Each Comcast head end makes has its own management, tech staff, etc. and each one makes their own decision as to when to roll out a new firmware update across their local system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 340 Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM

I have the 6412 III and tried the following:
To check which firmware version you have --

1. Press Menu twice to go to the Main Menu
2. Scroll down (or page down) to "Setup" and select it (it's at the bottom of the 2nd page)
3. Then select "Cable Box Setup"
4. Then select "Configuration"
5. The firmware version is in the second column near the bottom

This does not work for me? Any ideas?
post #93 of 340 Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman23 View Post

I have the 6412 III and tried the following:
To check which firmware version you have --

1. Press Menu twice to go to the Main Menu
2. Scroll down (or page down) to "Setup" and select it (it's at the bottom of the 2nd page)
3. Then select "Cable Box Setup"
4. Then select "Configuration"
5. The firmware version is in the second column near the bottom

This does not work for me? Any ideas?

At what point does it fail? Give some specifics and maybe we can work it out.

On another note -- I just had a PM from another member who said he called Comcast and found out that function has been disabled on his STB. They also told him he has firmware V12.31.

So ... if the above sequence doesn't work, maybe you can get lucky and hook up with a Comvast CS rep who is smart enough to tell you: a) whether or not the firmware lookup under menu "Cable Box Setup | Configuration" has been disabled or not; and 2) if so, what firmware version you have. Finding a Comast CS rep who is that smart is a real longshot, but maybe worth a try.
post #94 of 340 Old 09-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Motorola emailed me the instructions and they worked fine.
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
How do I determine the firmware ver of the above DCT6412 III? I tried the fol...

Discussion Thread
Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize about this
inconvenience but I will be able to help you with this.

DCT6412 (firmware version is on d08 Platform Build Version)

To use the diagnostics:

1 Ensure that the DCT6400 is installed with the base platform or Thin Client
software and

that it is connected to an AC outlet.

2 Press POWER and immediately press SELECT to enable diagnostic mode. The
Diagnostics

main menu is displayed on the OSD and “d01” is displayed on the front-panel LED:

You can use the following keys to navigate the diagnostics menus:

post #95 of 340 Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM

----My cable company uses the Motorola 6412 DVR box(firmware is 12.31) that seems to have problems according to a dealer passing the HDMI through my to be purchased Denon 2807 receiver. Motorola confirmed they are aware of the problem and expect to solve it in the near future. I will be using an Epson Front projector with 1 HDMI input and need about a 35 foot run from the receiver and or cable box.
I was considering an interim solution using a manual 2 to 1 HDMI switch with with both my cable box and DVD player going into the switch and the out to my projector---Of couse then I will have to run the sound seperately through my receiver for both input devices---another option is to use HDMI for the DVD player and use video component cables for the cable box---Of course then I will have a 35 foot HDMI cable and 35 foot video component cable running to my projector---Or can I run Video component to my receiver from the cable box and HDMI from my DVD player to my receiver and then just use an HDMI cable from my receiver to my Epson Projector??????????????
post #96 of 340 Old 09-05-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanker View Post

another option is to use HDMI for the DVD player and use video component cables for the cable box---Of course then I will have a 35 foot HDMI cable and 35 foot video component cable running to my projector---Or can I run Video component to my receiver from the cable box and HDMI from my DVD player to my receiver and then just use an HDMI cable from my receiver to my Epson Projector??????????????

I have a Denon 2807 as well and run component from my Motorola cable box to it and HDMI from the Denon to my Panasonic projector. I have a 25' HDMI run. Works great!

The main reason I got the 2807 was it's ability to upconvert component to HDMI as well as show the on screen display in 480p.

Keith
post #97 of 340 Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 PM

I have the new DC6416, just got it. I asked and asked for the firmware VA12.35 but all the people you call or the people at the Irvine Ca. store don't have a clue. I just bought a Denon 4306 and it won't let it through. it gives the error no repeaters. it won't even let me switch component. the only thing I have been able to get here is there is an update in Oct or Nov. called X10 and it will work. but as far as I know none of the moto boxes will let me switch the HDMI or Component. let me know if you've heard anything.
Waiting in Calif at the Cox store,,,,,,,,,,,
post #98 of 340 Old 09-07-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

You should be able to switch component. You probably have the 4306 set up wrong.

i am doing it with a 4806 and they are essentially the same.
post #99 of 340 Old 09-07-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman23 View Post

Motorola emailed me the instructions and they worked fine.
Subject
How do I determine the firmware ver of the above DCT6412 III? I tried the fol...

Discussion Thread
Thank you for choosing Motorola. I apologize about this
inconvenience but I will be able to help you with this.

DCT6412 (firmware version is on d08 Platform Build Version)

To use the diagnostics:

1 Ensure that the DCT6400 is installed with the base platform or Thin Client
software and

that it is connected to an AC outlet.

2 Press POWER and immediately press SELECT to enable diagnostic mode. The
Diagnostics

main menu is displayed on the OSD and “d01” is displayed on the front-panel LED:

You can use the following keys to navigate the diagnostics menus:

post #100 of 340 Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 PM

I set the component assignment to #2 I'm running digital (monster) coax for the audio in #2
and the HDMI is not on in that location. by the way I'm running a Samsung HDMI 1080i DVD machine through the 4306 and it switches great.....no problem. so I don't know why I'm having problems . switching component in the 6416. I'm running the box to my Sony 60A2000 and waiting for the firmware I guess. ....hmmmmm
post #101 of 340 Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 PM

I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I just can't find it. I just got a samsung lns4051d and hooked it up to my 6412 Phase III box via hdmi and when I push the source button to go to that hdmi it says "no signal" or "not supported." I have played with the settings on the stb but nothing seems to work. Anyone know what I should do to get hdmi to work or should I go with component? It's extremely discouraging to have technologoy that I probably can't even use because of no fault of my own.

My cable company is time warner but it was comcast up to about a few weeks ago.

I figured it out, I had to unplug/plug the stb to power.
post #102 of 340 Old 09-08-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomMerc View Post

I set the component assignment to #2 I'm running digital (monster) coax for the audio in #2
and the HDMI is not on in that location. by the way I'm running a Samsung HDMI 1080i DVD machine through the 4306 and it switches great.....no problem. so I don't know why I'm having problems . switching component in the 6416. I'm running the box to my Sony 60A2000 and waiting for the firmware I guess. ....hmmmmm

That's weird you can't switch component. I have not heard of anyone else having that problem. As Andrew Wolfe says, he does it with his 4806 -- and I have been doing it with a DCT6412 III switched through a Pio Elite 72 no problem. Can't believe it has anything to do with the HDMI/HDCP repeater problem discussed throughout this thread because that is a pure digital situation, and component is pure analog with no content protection (at least I don't think so).

I assume you have hooked up the STB directly to the TV via component with no problems?? And now just the introduction of the AVR into the circuit messes things up? If so, then I agree with Andrew Wolfe in thinking there must be some setting that's not right in the 4306. Have you tried calling Denon tech support?

scanpa -- if your watching this thread do you have anything to add here?
post #103 of 340 Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi,

I have a DCT6412' s HDMI input driving a Sharp Aquos LC-37D6U directly.

When I change from a non-HD channel to an HD channel, the Sharp displays a message saying it's syncing, the status display says it's in 1080i mode, but the picture is not displayed correctly. You can only see the left 2/3 of the screen.

The only way I've found to get the screen to display properly in 1080i is to toggle the Input selector to some other source and back to the DCT6412. Then the HD picture is displayed full frame.

If I then switch to non-HD, it syncs correctly to 480p but fails to sync back to 1080i for an HD.

I've read this thread and I believe my DCT6412 settings are correct. I tried changing various settings on the DCT6412 and it didn't help syncing. The DCT is set to 16:9, 1080i, HDMI, YCC/RGB (had no effect).

I talked to Sharp and they are out of suggestions and want to do a home visit. They said HDMI should display full frame.

I talked to Comcast and they didn't have any more suggestions that were already
suggested on this thread. They did suggest connecting the component input. So I connected the DCT6412 component input directly to Sharp.

For some reason, the Sharp did not see the component input as being active. I swapped the component and DVD inputs on the Sharp and then I could see the component input. When I switched back and forth between non-HD and HD, the component input correctly synced between 480p and 1080i, unlike the HDMI input.
I was able to switch back and forth between component and HDMI inputs.

Strangely, the next day, the component input disappeared again and I haven't been able to get it back.

I seem to remember a thread which said the DCT6412 does not drive both the HDMI and component outputs simultaneously. Only one or the other. Is this true?

And how does the Sharp know the input is active or not. My DVD player is off but it still lets me select the DVD player but the component input is not selectable.

I would appreciate any advice before I have to pay Sharp to have a tech visit.

Thanks!
post #104 of 340 Old 09-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM4545 View Post

This does not work for me on the 6416

I have the 6412 and the 6416. The procedure on mine is press white "cable" button followed by the red "power" button followed by the "select" button TWICE. You've essentially powered off the STB and then hit select twice. It brings up a diagnostic menu that you can navigate with the cursor/arrow buttons. You move the cursor to the desired location then hit "select" to enter or arrow sideways. Exit by powering down STB again.
post #105 of 340 Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does the 6412/16 III have an option for YCbCr/RGB or is that just on older versions? Have not found it in the menus.
post #106 of 340 Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 AM

well yesterday Cox came over checked my 6416 and it did have ver. 12.31 he said he knew nothing of the V12.35. so we went to his super and he said same thing. they all say that a upgrade has to be in mass. what amazes me is that everybody acts like no one else is having this problem...... I saw at frys yesterday a JVC that had switching HDMI for $800.00
that puts in my mind that a lot of people will very soon have the problem. to bad we can't get the boxes from the state that has them......still waiting in Irvine, Cal....
post #107 of 340 Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 AM

anybody have ver. 12.35 with HDMI switching yet? if this has been answered sorry..

trying to run Denon 4306, Moto box 6416, Samsung DVD 1080i with HDMI. ??
post #108 of 340 Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 AM

Luckily, yes people have been able to pass HDMI through the 6412 vIII with firmware 12.35 (as reported on page 3 of this thread, near the top)

I am still hunting for a 6412 vIII for myself, not to mention getting firmware 12.35 on it (my Comcast Motorola 3416 vI STB doesn't pass HDMI through my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS to my chagrin)

I understand your eagerness - I cannot wait myself to finally use my receiver like it should be used (1 HDMI out to TV, everything else feeds into the receiver)

Does anyone know if Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN has firmware 12.35 yet?

Thanks,
Bubs
post #109 of 340 Old 09-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDBubs View Post

Luckily, yes people have been able to pass HDMI through the 6412 vIII with firmware 12.35 (as reported on page 3 of this thread, near the top)

I am still hunting for a 6412 vIII for myself, not to mention getting firmware 12.35 on it (my Comcast Motorola 3416 vI STB doesn't pass HDMI through my Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS to my chagrin)

I understand your eagerness - I cannot wait myself to finally use my receiver like it should be used (1 HDMI out to TV, everything else feeds into the receiver)

Does anyone know if Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN has firmware 12.35 yet?

Thanks,
Bubs

I certainly share your eagerness to use a modern digital AVR as it was intended -- Pio Elite VSX-72TXV in my case. But if you live in the USA and are hunting for a DCT6412 with V12.35 from somwhere other than your cable operator, isn't is a waste your time since US cable companies require you to use their boxes and will not let you use a box you might get from another source??

In Canada, it's the opposite where users are (generally -- not sure if universally) required to buy their own cable box. In any case, the firmware version of a box is determined by the cable company and is downloaded to it over the cable -- when and as the cable headend decides to change the firmware. I know this is true in the US, and believe it is also true in Canada -- even if you own the box, the cableco downloads the firmware to be compatible with their technical requirements.

I think the only thing we can do is wait until each of our cable headends decides to deploy the firmware that fixes the HDMI/HDCP handshaking problem with repeater devices. I don't know if it's the same version number but I would assume that essentially the same fix is on its way for 341X boxes since they are just an all digital verison of the 641X

I don't know about MSP, but here in SLC I have been told it will be "real soon now." Try calling your cableco -- bypass the clueless CSR's and ask for a manager or engineering supervisor and see what you can find out.
post #110 of 340 Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:

well yesterday Cox came over checked my 6416 and it did have ver. 12.31 he said he knew nothing of the V12.35. so we went to his super and he said same thing. they all say that a upgrade has to be in mass. what amazes me is that everybody acts like no one else is having this problem...... I saw at frys yesterday a JVC that had switching HDMI for $800.00
that puts in my mind that a lot of people will very soon have the problem. to bad we can't get the boxes from the state that has them......still waiting in Irvine, Cal....

Just moved from Orange/Time Warner to Irvine/Cox. Got the Motorola 6416.
Looks like we have the HDCP nasty here. I have a Denon 4806.
Everything worked fine in Orange. At first in Orange we had the start order issues.
Plasma/4806/STB. Then they fixed that with firmware.
But here I get the "blue bad boy switching box" then the green screen of death.

Its sucks going thru this a second time. IT IS THE STB. Dont think otherwise.Wish me luck with Cox Irvine. Hope I can find someone who even knows what HDCP is

The 6416 firmware I got NEW today is 12.31. Will go after them tomorrow for the upgrade. WISH ME LUCK !!! Have read other posts that the 12.35 is a fix.
post #111 of 340 Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 AM

are you saying you had your 6416 in Orange (time warner) with V12.35? and all worked great?

Good Luck! with Cox

let me know if you are successful getting the V12.35

I have tried everything I can think of.. with no avail..

Still waiting in Irvine. Ca.
post #112 of 340 Old 09-14-2006, 07:39 AM

Sorry for confusion

I had a SA8350HD DVRin Orange.

But have read in other threads that the firmware
upgrade will get the Motorola STB to handle HDMI Switching.

Will advise after I do my thing with Cox.
post #113 of 340 Old 09-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Just spent about 30 minutes with a rep at Cox OC
who was able to find the person that knew about firmware
and the HD DVR. She would not give me his name.

"We are aware of the HDMI/HDCP switching issues with Ver 12.31".
Guess enough people are calling in and working them on the problem.
They will only commit to saying. "By years end" (Hope they mean 2006)
"We will get Ver 12.35 deployed".

So I guess its time to get my component cables out and do the up
convert to HDMI with my AVR4806.
Going to go get some opticals for the audio.
post #114 of 340 Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 AM

yep...me too.

still waiting in OC (cox) for my V12.35 firmware upgrade.......
post #115 of 340 Old 09-15-2006, 08:08 AM

KustomMerc -- Just wondering -- did you ever get component video to switch OK through your 4306?
post #116 of 340 Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 PM

nope... worked on it today for half an hour...no luck
I can't figure it out.

component. assigned to TV RCA #2
HDMI output 1080i , throughput
audio works fine coax 2
I'v tried all sorts of combonations but can't get it..

cable box output 1080i

no problem seeing the component on my 60A2000 Sony
on another video in. just won't show up through the Denon
post #117 of 340 Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I can't figure it out.

audio works fine coax 2

cable box output 1080i

Since I have a Pio 72 I doubt I can help with this problem, but there is one setting on the Pio called "Digital Video Conversion" ON/OFF which is supposed to tell it whether or not convert analog video to digital for the monitor out. Maybe there is something similar on the 4306.

Any 4306 owners out there who can help????

Well -- maybe it won't matter when (hopefully) you finally get the long awaited firmware upgrade and can just go HDMI all the way through as in: Moto STB --hdmi-> 4306 --hdmi-> 60A2000
post #118 of 340 Old 09-17-2006, 06:00 AM

I was in Best Buy yesterday and their Magnolia theater people are having trouble big time
with this HDMI switching problem..... now that a lot of the units can do that, they are in touch with cox daily!. she said " Cox is loosing a lot of customers because of this problem" they are going to Dish tv since it doesn't exsist there. way to go Cox..

still waiting in Irvine....................but not forever!
post #119 of 340 Old 09-18-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I can't figure it out.

audio works fine coax 2

cable box output 1080i

My 4806 was doing the Component to HDMI fine in Orange when I first set it up.
Will try mine this week some evening and report back so you can get yours working. The Denon is a bit of a bear to configure and the book is even worse.
But it will work. Usually something simple overlooked in setup.

The Cox people do not want to miss any biz to the dish. So with all the new
HDMI type gear coming out the phone is ringing off the hook. Hope they get off the dime on the F/W upgrade before too long.

Hope to see the Cox dude at Best Buy again in Tustin off Jamboree.
Going to fill his ear about HDMI switching for the 3rd time.
It really pisses them off because he knows he is selling something that does not really work with the gear people are buying today. It like the movie "Annie"
Tomorrow, Tomorrow. Its always tomorrow.
post #120 of 340 Old 09-19-2006, 07:49 AM

yep , Ken Crane in Lake forest, Cox Cable territory, has the same problem..... they sell a lot of Denon and Pio. with HDMI switching... I was in there trying to get help on the component prob. but when I got home it still doesn't work. I think Cox has a real problem on their hands. I just don't understand why they haven't released the FW since I see it has been out from Moto since 6/06 Irvine has a lot of people who would be buying this type of equipment! I had a # for a supervisor in the company and he was going to call me back with the release date.....that was over a week ago..

still waiting in Irvine, Ca..........
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page