What cable DVR service should I go with? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Dish network DVR and have been pretty happy with it. Two of the things I really like are:

-I use just one box that feeds signals to the 2 TVs in our house.

-I can concurrently record and/or watch 2 shows at the same time. Basically it can handle just about any combination of streaming shows to both TVs while still recording on both tuners.

Unfotunately, my girlfriend and I have to move to San Francisco for my new job and the loft we rented has some limitations as to what tv service I can use. All units have a choice of either DirectTV or Charter. The property management person said I could have Dish Network, but would have to install the dish for it inside my loft, which doesn't sound like it would work at all.

I read somewhere that the current DirectTV DVR can't playback a show while you are recording 2 other shows, is this true? Which of these two services (DirectTV or Charter Cable) would offer the closest functionality to what I am used to with my Dish Network DVR?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

anyone? I could use some help, I gotta' make a decision ASAP.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-05-2006, 07:10 PM

I think you should just keep your Dish DVR, since you already have an account with them.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2006, 09:56 AM

As long as you can get a view of the satellite you want to get your landlord pretty much has to let you put up a dish. FCC rules about it are here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

So if you like the Dish DVR keep it and see if you can't get a signal. If not I think the local cable in S.F. is Comcast and you would have to get a DVR in every room. $10 a month per HD DVR. Don't know anything about the DirecTV DVR.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

If the loft is facing south, it will work. OR if your on the top floor on the north side, you can shoot it over the roof.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-06-2006, 05:08 PM

I have directv and can record two shows at the same time and playback from the hard drive any show in storage while recording on active satellite
. Hope that helps.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 PM

DirecTivos and the crappy NDS software based R15 can record 2 channels at once. DirecTivo's have functionality have a FAR better UI and recording functionality than any of Dish's PVRs. DirecTivo most definitely can record 2 channels at once while playing either the ones being recording or something else that you've already got on your unit.

In order for any DirecTV based PVR to record two channels at once, generally speaking, you're going to need 2 feeds coming into your unit from the dish. You cannot split the signal (using a splitter like for cable TV). The info at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ad.php?t=55509 might help you.

If you're going to go DirecTV, I'd try digging around (might have to resort to Ebay, asking around at retailers or at last resort going to http://www.weaknees.com/direct_tv_tivo.php) to find a DirecTivo. It's a shame that DirecTivos seem to be so expensive now since they stopped making them. They used to be $0-$50 after rebate w/a 1 year DirecTV commitment.

I've heard a lot of negative things about the R15 and when I played with it for ~30 mins at CES, I was very unimpressed.

FWIW, I have an RCA DVR80 Series 2 DirecTivo [as well as some 2 standalone Series 1s and a standalone Series 2; all of the standalones are loaned out right now.]
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page