DVR not tied to provider? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to track down a DVR option which is not tied to a provider. In other words I am not interested in paying my Cable provider a monthly fee....

Problem is my provider is fairly small, Click Network in Tacoma Washington.

As best I can tell the only one to be able to change the channel line up is using ReplayTV with Wirms. Are there any others?

Is that correct? I am not interested in HD at this point and might be able to get my hands on a Replaytv 5040 unit.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Williamson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-11-2006, 07:33 PM

Are you sure TiVo doesn't have your channel lineup. I would call and ask TiVo myself.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can find your provider's lineup at www.zap2it.com, then it's almost assured that your ReplayTV DVR will have it too.

With the recent announcements that there will be no more new lifetime subscriptions for TiVo units and that the "true month-to-month" TiVo guide service is now a thing of the past as one must agree to a contract term of one, two or three years at a time (w/ penalties for early cancellation), along with the raising of the price for TiVo guide service, even the soon to be released TiVo Series III Hi-Def DVR all of a sudden looks extremely unattractive, which, in turn, makes the older SD units look about as attractive as gold-plated doorstops.

If you're going to go with the older SD technology, might as well go for the more capable, more flexable, easier to upgrade/hack units: a ReplayTV 5k or 55xx unit. There's no contracts for the ReplayTV guide service when ordered on a Monthly basis - you can cancel at anytime. Or, just get a lifetimed unit for $300 once and be done with it once and for all. Remember, in 2009 (assuming that they actually make this cutoff date, or just end up doing like they'be done before: having to push it out again, and again, and again...), all that is going away is the analog TV feeds, not the analog TV sets. You'll still be able to feed downconvgerted analog from a cable/satelite box to your analog equipment. There are hundreds of ReplayTV compatable boxes out there currently, and, we have the capability of custom adding new IR control codes to the 5k/55xx ReplayTVs in the event that you run accoss a box that it can't control. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=267352

-------
PS:
It's WiRNS (with an "N") not "Wirms".

WiRNS only exists for the ReplayTV 5k's and 55xx's (still working on support for the older units - no promises though). Not to say that it doesn't exist, but I've never heard of anything even similar for the TiVo.

A good part of that is due to the differences in how the two units get their guide data - ReplayTV's can use the internet, so it's easy to just proxy the transmission and tack your own channel data on at the end of the stream; Stand-alone TiVo's on the other hand, IIRC, only pickup guide data via the modem - it's much more difficult to hijack & proxy a modem transmission, not to mention the differences in authentication, CRC/error checking, communications protocal types, etc, etc...

"Wirms", on the other hand, are something that you buy at a southern bait & tackle store before headin' off to yer favorite fishin' hole. ;)

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf *.*
..."Wirms", on the other hand, are something that you buy at a southern bait & tackle store before headin' off to yer favorite fishin' hole. ;)
So that's where you snag the gerbils? :rolleyes:

Bob -- the 5040 (if you can find one) is the best option. Looks like listings for Click!Network Tacoma Power are available from ReplayTV.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf *.*
It's WiRNS (with an "N") not "Wirms".
Well, I have a never used 5040 in my hands BUT....without the lifetime activation.

The cable provider is offering a $40 package for $30 with $10 for the DVR (Motorola 6412) and free install (as opposed to my $35 for dish right now). For the first year....

If I were to get the basic it would be $30 + install of $42 + activation of the 5040.

Since it is digital/HD my 5040....well....gotta dump it I guess.....

To bad as I even signed up for worms/zap2it and two routers with WDS over the weekend and set it up. Looks pretty cool.

Oh well thanks for the info,
Bob

Bob Williamson
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Who says you can't do both?

Hard not to use that 5040 if you already have it? :)
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2006, 06:08 PM

Hey, I am also interested in finding a DVR with no monthly subscription... Id rather pay $400 for a box that does the trick, and would like to support HD
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 PM

Who wouldn't like a HD DVR with no monthly fees for $400? I would be amazed if you found a HD DVR in that range. You can easily buy a Standard definintion TiVo with lifetime subscription on ebay for $350, or a replay with Lifetime at around the same price, but neither support HD.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-31-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastetter
Hey, I am also interested in finding a DVR with no monthly subscription... Id rather pay $400 for a box that does the trick, and would like to support HD
No Tivos support high def yet other than the high def DirecTivo which is a bit of a white elephant since it doesn't support MPEG-4.

If you want no monthly fee w/a PVR that's currently being sold (Replay is out of the market), consider a standalone Tivo. But, you better act fast. Lifetime subscription as an option is going away on 4/15/06 (originally was 3/15). See the 1st post at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=290723 for a summary of the changes.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-01-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastetter

I have a Toshiba RD-XS34. It is a 160 Gig Hard disk recorder/DVD-Ram/rw/-r recorder. It has TV guide function, which gives you listings. I have already archived 10 great movies just by taping them on the hard disk and burning them onto DVD.

IT is Standard definition, but it works with local Cable by attaching the cable directly into the box (how I am set up) and I believe it works with Digital cable using an IR blaster.

Great deal, great picture, great performance. I got mine for $250 on an open box special, but I believe you can get them for around $300-$350 online.

Highly recommend it, no service fees, good editing functionality to delete the commercials (Takes about 5 minutes to delete commercials and begin to burn a DVD copy of a broadcast movie), TVguide function is awesome.

Give it a try, my guess is you won't be disappointed.

Ken
post #11 of 14 Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM

I have the Philips HDRW 720 /17 (DVD and HDD). It's claim to fame, and one of the things that prompted me to buy it, is the "Free" TV Guide On Screen program guide. But that doesn't take into account the many hours you may spend getting the TVGOS to work, if you ever do. It worked great for me until our local PBS station started broadcasting in digital in Feb., now there's no guide listings at all.

I've read countless threads on that unit and the TVGOS problems. I've done the all the resets suggested, checked the hidden screens with the codes, called and e-mailed every company that has any connection with the unit or the cable service, changed zips in the setup, tried an antenna, etc... No luck whatsoever!

My conclusion at the end of all this is that all the associated companies, while they may employ friendly people who'd really like to help, just doesn't give a rats butt about fixing a free service. The dismal service links on each site only points me to another site and if it wasn't for forums like this one I would've been more clueless than I am now about why my system doesn't do the things heralded in the advertisements.

Other than the TVGOS not being supported very well by Philips (they need a troubleshooting section), I got a super deal on the unit. Paid $239.00 last December from a local store and found out later that I could've gotten it 10 bucks cheaper direct from Philips online (but with shipping costs included). One bothersome thing though, a check of Philips website just now tells me they don't sell that model anymore on the website except as "Refurbished", and it costs more now than they were selling it for new in December. If it's discontinued I guess firmware updates and support may not be available as a result.
Of course, that holds true for almost any piece of equipment anymore as manufacturers roll out their new stuff. Without a hardware provider that will hold themselves accountable for supporting their products (can you say "class action lawsuit in the makings"?) we're all at their mercy. And getting reamed, it would appear.

Good luck.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 PM

There's a good chance that Philips may have a firmware update that can be ran on your DVR that will help correct TVGOS issues. The company responsible for most TVGOS systems on TVs is continually releasing these updates when the TVs TVGOS craps out.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Hi,
Just wondered if you ever found an answer to that....using a DVR as a VCR and not paying for the service?
TIA,
J
post #14 of 14 Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM

There are at least two well known DVRs made for certain brand TVs that function through the TV's controls as a VCR. Toshiba made the Symbio and RCA made the Scenium. I understand that both units are internally the same made by a 3rd party and either can be used on both the RCA and Toshiba TVs intended to control these DVRs. These units are dumb boxes that are utterly useless to anybody not having the particular models of RCA or Toshiba TVs. Check out the following thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=602499
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page