Buy comcast digital boxes online, do i need to let comcast know? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2006, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure how this works, on my main tv i have a comcast HDtv/DVR recorder box i get every channel and can record on that setup. Now in my bedroom I want to put a panasonic plasma tv. Can I just buy a comcast digital box online and use it on that tv, or do I have to get one through comcast and pay the extra 9 a month for each box...? thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativecreep0
I'm not sure how this works, on my main tv i have a comcast HDtv/DVR recorder box i get every channel and can record on that setup. Now in my bedroom I want to put a panasonic plasma tv. Can I just buy a comcast digital box online and use it on that tv, or do I have to get one through comcast and pay the extra 9 a month for each box...? thanks for any help.
You havew to get one through Comcast and pay the extra box charge. :(

You know if you buy a box on E-bay or anyplace and it says says Comcast on it then it has been stolen and/or is a hacked box, Comcast knows this and will not authorize it for use on their system.

I am not sure how you are charged but when I got my cable TV service installed the "standard" digital box was free and I pay $5 extra for an HD box. I at first told them I did not need it but they said I might as well take the standard box too and use it in my bedroom as it does not cost anything extra, so I did and use that one for my Tivo.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

damn i am paying for a HD box for my main tv, they never gave me the standard free at all...... they are telling me extra 9 bucks a month for a box.... If i got a tv with a ATSC tuner in it, can i get cables tv channels on the lcd tv in my bedroom without the need for a set top box?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
damn i am paying for a HD box for my main tv, they never gave me the standard free at all...... they are telling me extra 9 bucks a month for a box.... If i got a tv with a ATSC tuner in it, can i get cables tv channels on the lcd tv in my bedroom without the need for a set top box?
You should still be able to receive the "expanded basic" channels 2-99 in their analog form.

If you are in the city you should be able to get local HD broadcasts with an antenna.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If i got a tv with a ATSC tuner in it, can i get cables tv channels on the lcd tv in my bedroom without the need for a set top box?
In addition to what 11001011 said above ...

If you have a QAM tuner you should be able to get the HD locals on your TV w/o a box. And if you get a set with a CableCard slot, you should be able to get all the channels (you subscribe to) by renting a CableCard from Comcast.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't buy a box you will have a brick very shortly!!!
As stated above it has to be authorized by your local cable-co!
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page