HDTV/PVR connections, Chapter II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I wrote about a week ago about connecting a cable box to the Sony XS955 television and to my personal DVR, which is a Sony HX715. Since then, the cable gent has come (and stayed for two hours!) and I've also spent a lot of time with a Sony-ite on the phone. Here are the connections I have, the results, and the problem I'd appreciate assitance with. First the connections:

Coaxial from the BOX'S Cable Out to the DVR's VHF IN
Coaxial from the DVR's VHF/UHF Out to the TV's UHF/VHF
HDMI Cable between the DVR and the TV (input 7)
Component between the TV (input 6) and the BOX

Results:
* TV viewing takes place on Channel 3 of the TV; works fine; by clicking ANT, I can watch the TV's own cable feed (I have coaxial coming from a splitter into the TV's Cable input). This obviously takes plae in Input 6

* Previously recorded items on the DVR (meaning from a totally different TV/Cable Box) work fine on Input 7. The play list displays; items play

* Problem: I can't record into the DVR. Nothing comes out. I was told that since the DVR and the Cable are connected through coax, this would work fine as long as I left the TV and the DVR on Ch.3. Absolutely nothing records.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Koons, I posted in the first thread you started last week (before seeing this one) but we can just discuss things here. I am unclear about your setup. Are you using a STB or CableCard from your cable co.? What are you referring to when you say "Box"? I have a similar setup as you so I can probably help if you clear those things up.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

By "Box", I meant a set top box (Motorola). No cableCARD.

I keep wondering if my problem is that I'm using Component between the TV and the Box, but the people I've talked to tell me that is fine. The DVR can't handle component signals from the box, which is why the two are connected by coaxial.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Koons, did you try the suggested connections shown in the user manual? Out of curiosity I checked the user manual of the HX715. On page 15 of the manual it describes how to connect the HX715 if you are using a STB (which you are). The manual suggests that you run a coaxial cable from the wall to your STB. Then run a coaxial from the STB to the Cable Input on your 36XS955 (TV). Then you can run Component video cables from your STB to the HX715. Obviously this implies that you will also need to run RCA cables from the STB to the HX715 for your audio. You have probably noticed that this setup does not involve running a coaxial cable to the HX715, which is different than your current setup. You state that the HX715 cannot accept component signals from the STB. Why not? You have to go into the menu and set Line 1 to Component video for it to work.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page