Standalone DVR/live tv recording recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am a currect subscriber to Cablone Digital and previous subscriber to dish network where I was first introduced to recording/pausing live tv on a HD. Lately I have been looking for ways of streamlining my monthly bills a bit and really would like to find a standalone DVR that will do this. Honestly I dont really see why standalones arent more popular putting Tivo and the others out of business.

Soo, I have decided if I can spend a bit of cash on a unit now, I can cut out the monthly service fee for my cable provider. The main features I would like for it to have would be:

record/pause live tv (basically be always recording like traditional units do).
dual tuner support would be a nice addition but not mandatory.

I could careless about the tv guide feature, so I wouldnt need any updating once bought.

If anyone has any recommendations/suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thx
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

This the wrong forum for this question or is there just no opinion?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

When you say "to HD", I'm assuming you mean to hard-disk (why else would you have said "TO"?)

Tivo is a standalone DVR. So is the ReplayTV, if you can find one. You can also look towards the Panasonic DMR-EH85 or similar.

ReplayTV never built a dual-tuner box. Tivo just released a cobbled-together franken-DVR that is kinna-sorta-maybe-sometimes a dual tuner box (download the instructions/QSG from Tivo and you'll see what kind of a POS hand-job the marketing dept. at Tivo gives out when billing it as a "dual-tuner").

The only way to get a lifetimed Tivo is used. They no longer offer the lifetime service as an option. ReplayTV still offers liftime service, and with the advent of the ReplayTV-PC software, it's reasonable to say that the guide service will be around for a long time to come.

The Panasonic DMR-EH85 is a single tuner, HDD recorder with a DVD burner integrated. The cost of purchase includes lifetime guide service. But, in comparason to the Tivo and ReplayTV guide services, the Panasonic TVGOS service sucks.

If you don't want guide service, look for a good VCR.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2006, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for thr reply, I guess "stand alone" was worded incorrectly, I am mainly wanting to see the benefits of the ones which dont require a monthly service fee. I have considered the lifetime subscriptions, but its tied to that box, it dies and I am back to square 1. :(
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Then take a look at the Panasonic DMR-series or the Toshiba's. They both have DVD burners and varrying sizes of hard disks. I've seen DMR-EH85's for under $300.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
If you want Hi-Def (OTA and/or cable), look for the Sony DHG-HDD500 or DHG-HDD250. It'll also record in SD.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-29-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruflyf
Thanks for thr reply, I guess "stand alone" was worded incorrectly, I am mainly wanting to see the benefits of the ones which dont require a monthly service fee. I have considered the lifetime subscriptions, but its tied to that box, it dies and I am back to square 1. :(
I have 2 Series 1 TiVos w/lifetime, a Series 2 w/lifetime and a Series 2 DirecTivo which I have to pay $6/mo on.

The oldest TiVo was the one I bought at end of Feb 2001. It still works fine. The most likely thing to die in TiVos is the hard drive and on Series 1s, the modem was supposedly fragile. The drive is easily replaced and there were workarounds for dead modems. Lifetime subscription was a GOOD thing.

To not care about a good EPG is odd. That's the whole point of a PVR. If you get a TiVo or Replay, you will almost never watch live TV anymore.

I really recommend that you find a used Tivo or Replay w/lifetime.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page