Backing Up Recorded Media - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-30-2006, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for the last while and running some searches, but I'm curious if there are any methods of backing up the shows or media that I record to the DVR's HDD to my PC. I know that there exist methods to basically "Re-Record" the media using various cables and software... but I'm curious is there are any alternative methods that could involve the following:

a) imaging the drive and recovering the recorded shows
b) connecting the HDD and mounting it as a filesystem (OSs based on Linux?)
c) using a USB/Firewire connection built into the unit
d) any other methods

As far as I know and have read, I realize that the hard-drives are locked and they do contain a proprietary Operating System, but I'm curious if there is any way to somewhat... "bypass" this in order to access the files and get at them in some sort of viewable manner. I know some methods could/will void my warrenty and all that, but I'm more curious if it can be done and how.

Any help/links/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitel
Hey everyone,

I've been looking around for the last while and running some searches, but I'm curious if there are any methods of backing up the shows or media that I record to the DVR's HDD to my PC. I know that there exist methods to basically "Re-Record" the media using various cables and software... but I'm curious is there are any alternative methods that could involve the following:

a) imaging the drive and recovering the recorded shows
b) connecting the HDD and mounting it as a filesystem (OSs based on Linux?)
c) using a USB/Firewire connection built into the unit
d) any other methods

As far as I know and have read, I realize that the hard-drives are locked and they do contain a proprietary Operating System, but I'm curious if there is any way to somewhat... "bypass" this in order to access the files and get at them in some sort of viewable manner. I know some methods could/will void my warrenty and all that, but I'm more curious if it can be done and how.

Any help/links/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Would it be in violation of National Security for you to tell us what Make & Model DVR you have there, Mr. Telephone-Man?

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have included that... heh. The make and model of my DVR is a Scientific Atlantic 8300 Explorer. Got it with my Digital Cable package. I've been reading about how easy it is for TiVo users to get their shows to their PC and also was directed to a "dishrip" user group, however I believe those only work with Dish Network DVRs? Just looking for some more info before trying things out. :)
post #4 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

All content on the 8300's hard drive is 3DES encrypted so ... good luck getting around that.

Explore Firewire ...
1) You gotta have a recent version of SARA that enables Firewire. If you have Passport ... I don't know if Passport supports Firewire yet (or not).
2) Content may be DTCP protected via Firewire. If it is ... you're not going to be able to capture it on a PC (although that may change with Vista).

See these threads for more info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=593271
post #5 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. :)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 AM

Hello All,

My question is the same, I just use a different box. Motorola DCT 5100. Now, I can't find that on their website but it looks just like the DCT6200. It is thru the local cable company on the MS gulf coast.

I would like to DL the recorded content to my PC and either maintain a backup there or record it to DVD.

Please understand that I am new at much of this, so please speak in terms a newbie rookie can understand.

Thanks in advance

RAF
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page