SA8300HD - Composite Video Out? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-03-2006, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 825
I currently have a SA8000 which only have the component output and DVI. I am considering bugging my cable company for the 8300HD but want to find out if the unit outputs both component video HD and 480i over composite at the same time.

I know my older non-DVR box would output both 1080i and 480i at the same time over different cables which was nice, but not something I cared about then.

Now, with the DVR, I really want this feature as it will allow me to connect a secondary TV in my home to the composite feed and shoot that video up to the playroom so he can watch some Sesame Street while I can sit down and enjoy a movie on the projector... without being bugged. :)

Anyone have any info if both feeds are always hot with the 8300HD?

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated
I currently have a SA8000 which only have the component output and DVI. I am considering bugging my cable company for the 8300HD but want to find out if the unit outputs both component video HD and 480i over composite at the same time.

I know my older non-DVR box would output both 1080i and 480i at the same time over different cables which was nice, but not something I cared about then.

Now, with the DVR, I really want this feature as it will allow me to connect a secondary TV in my home to the composite feed and shoot that video up to the playroom so he can watch some Sesame Street while I can sit down and enjoy a movie on the projector... without being bugged. :)

Anyone have any info if both feeds are always hot with the 8300HD?
Click here to go to first post in the SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA thread. This thread has a lot of useful information about the 8300HD.

Program Distribution. The 8300HD has 2 tuners and 2 outputs that can ALL be used at the same time. The Archive To VCR option does not have to be used only with a VCR. You can connect another TV (or VCR) in another room to the output connections and then view a downconverted pre-recorded program using the Archive To VCR option. At the same time, you can view a different recorded program on the main TV. However, it doesn't stop there. You can still record two other programs at the same time. You could easily send a recorded show to another room for your spouse/kids to watch while you watch a recorded/live program on the main TV without the fear of blocking any other recordings.
NOTE 1: I have not tested this myself, but others have, including one who streams programs to a central PC for further distribution/remote control.
NOTE 2: The 8300HD technically has 4 tuners; 2 NTSC and 2 QAM. However, only 2 of these can be used at any one time. Therefore, for the purposes of this and the next tip, the number of tuners has been limited to 2.
It should be noted that the 8300HD can also be connected to one device via HDMI and to another device via Component at the same time. In fact, a local member has it connected through a Geffen 4x1 DVI swither, and a 45 foot DVI cable, to his Marantz VP12S3. While this is supposed to be way beyond DVI specs, it has worked flawlessly. This same 8300 is also connected via Component cables to a W-VHS deck for permanent archiving. Note 1 above also applies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page