Is there such a thing as being saved for too long? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-12-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two shows from from FX dated 3/14 and 3/21 on my SA 8300 HD DVR (Sara software, TX) and tried watching them this weekend, to no avail :( One other show from a HD channel dated 3/26 is still watchable. The recorded shows freeze up and refuse to play, but will go in slow motion and FF. Could it be that these shows were saved too long...is that possible? I know its not even 3 months but is this normal. I have other shows on another box for a lot longer and they still work.
Is there anything I can do to rectify this or should I just give it up?

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is this the first time you have tried to watch them? If so it might be that there were some problems in the intial record. I have had shows that played but got all blocky and freeze when I try to fast forward. I think this is just a cable box DVR problem, my Charter Motorola simply deletes shows I have not watched to make room for others.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you recorded it say 5 years ago, I would say yes some hard drive will loose their ability to read stuff stored around over 5 years old (spinrite will fix this problem BTW :) But anything less than that, it's something wrong at the time it was recorded, maybe there was a thunderstom...
post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2006, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There may have been some storms during the last few weeks but I don't know if thats the reason, since it didn't affect any other shows. I can't understand it because the amchine thinks its playing as evidenced when I hit 'play' while in play mode to produce slow motion effect, it advances, as well as when I hit the FF button. It advances once any action buttons are used even rewind, but the actual image freezes when I hit 'play', and catches up to the progress of the show when I hit play again for slow-mo. I guess I better give up and delete them. This is using a SA 8300HD box from TWC, BTW.

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #5 of 5 Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion-man
I have two shows from from FX dated 3/14 and 3/21 on my SA 8300 HD DVR (Sara software, TX) and tried watching them this weekend, to no avail :( One other show from a HD channel dated 3/26 is still watchable. The recorded shows freeze up and refuse to play, but will go in slow motion and FF. Could it be that these shows were saved too long...is that possible? I know its not even 3 months but is this normal. I have other shows on another box for a lot longer and they still work.
Is there anything I can do to rectify this or should I just give it up?
There is no time limit for how long you can save a program if you set the "SAVE TIME" to "Until I Erase" or the "SAVE LATEST" to "All Episodes". I don't think it is possible for shows to be saved too long. It might be possible the shows became corrupted for some unknown reason. Before deleting the two shows try a Hard Reboot by doing the following.

Hard Reboot. A Hard Reboot will refresh all available software and modules on the system, as well as clear out the memory cache. The IPG and other data may take up to 30 minutes or more to fully download.
  • Turn off the 8300 and wait 5 or more seconds.
  • Unplug the power cord from the 8300 and wait 5 or more seconds.
  • If you are resetting an external drive too, unplug it's power cord at this point and wait 5 or more seconds, then plug the power cord back into the external drive and wait 5 or more seconds.
  • Press and hold the power button on the 8300's front panel. While the power button is depressed, plug the 8300 power cord back in. Continue to hold the power button until the 8300 display says "boot" and/or begins to cycle a few times (usually about 15 seconds).
NOTE: A Hard Reboot will resolve MANY issues with not only external drives, but memory issues too. You should WAIT until the reboot is completely finished before powering up. It takes about 5 - 10 min, depending on your application and IPG data. The best way to determine when the download is finished is to watch the front panel indicators. On the front panel, where the : (colon) seperates the hours and minutes, the bottom " . " dot will appear after all the OS firmware has been loaded. An STB getting a download or initializing will be blank. Leave the STB alone until the dot appears.

A Hard Reboot will not erase your programs.

This is described in the first post of the SA 8300 HD Tips & Tricks -- SARA thread. Click here to go to that post. There is a lot of other useful information there, also
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page