TIVO. What about the rest of us? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-14-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
We have a couple (maybe more) TIVO Series 2 PVRs here at work. They are being used to make air-check recordings of other TV stations in our market (for News purposes), and are connected to the MATV system (our own, standalone Cable TV system).

It looks like, in playing with the units for a bit, that they can only be set up to follow the channelization plans of OTA (Antenna Only), the Local Cable sysytem, DirecTV, or DISH Network......no provisions for people who have different channelizations.

Is this true?

What about people who get their TV from apartment or Condo in-house MATV systems? Or, who have MMDS? Or, use multiple services, not Cable, D*, or E*?
Or, people in small town, who may use OTA Translators?

Is there a "hack" that will allow you to "re-arrange" the channels....they are still the same as what is locally available....so programming and times would be valid? Just the channel numbers would need to change.

Thanks.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-14-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe you could still use one under the conditions you mentioned but you would have to jump through a few hoops.

Like the guide would not work right nor would the search or season pass function properly.

But you can program a Tivo to record by just setting the start time, stop time, and channel just like you would do with a VCR, at least I can with my old Series1.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TiVo already has a lot of guides for small towns, apartment complex systems, etc. And if they don't have a custom lineup for your system already - they have a page on their website to submit your lineup details and they can create a new one.

-MegaZone, Gizmo Lovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page