post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=45264
Quote:
"I would love it if the MSOs, during the deployment of the new DVRs they're putting out there, would disable the fast-forward [button]," Shaw said.
I like this:

Quote:
"I'm not so sure that the whole issue really is one of commercial avoidance," Shaw said. "It really is a matter of convenience--so you don't miss your favorite show. And quite frankly, we're just training a new generation of viewers to skip commercials because they can. I'm not sure that the driving reason to get a DVR in the first place is just to skip commercials. I don't fundamentally believe that. People can understand in order to have convenience and on-demand (options), that you can't skip commercials."
Well, at least in my case, he's completely off-base. Watching an hour show in 40 minutes is a huge reason to own a DVR. I understand the advertisers point of view, but don't be ignorant to the consumers point of view.

Xbox Live:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To be fair, it's both, and time shifting is the primary and overwhelming reason. I'm asleep before more than half of all television broadcast is broadcast. If I didn't have some means of recording it and watching it the next day, I would miss out on a lot. Skipping commercials is a nice bonus on top of that, but if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd surely choose time shifting over fast forward.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
So if I want to fast forward my commercials, I have to buy a VCR...! It's almost like saying, well you have a car (over a bicycle) to go faster AND to hold more people. So in the name of safety, all cars now have to go 5 miles per hour to let bicycles keep up. I think Sammy Hagar sang a song 'I can't drive......5!'
post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 AM

Interesting analogy, but there's one aspect of the actual situation that it doesn't reflect: Imagine that there is a toll booth on the road, and they're controlling the speed limit because if folks drive too fast through the toll booth, the toll booth cannot record the toll.

One thing I think a lot of folks easily forget about television is that it isn't an entitlement, but rather intellectual property that someone is sharing with us in return for considerations. Conceptually, skipping commercials violates the something-for-something principle. We love to do it, but if we skip the commercials, what's in it for the folks presenting the programs? I know my customers would love to skip paying the bills my accounting people send them, but I'd probably not have a DVR to speak of if they did! :)
post #5 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
This is just more industry spin. Numerous surveys have shown that the number 1 reason, by far, that consumers say they get a DVR is to skip commercials. ABC has seen this data - they just choose to ignore it.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 AM

The last thing they're inclined to do is "ignore" it.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
DVR is all that kept me from getting rid of Dish Net. My normal viewing was "the news" or a DVD from Netflix. I time shifted OTA tv with a classic VCR, but was about to get rid of Dish Net because nothing was ever on when I was able to watch.

Now I go through the whole schedule on Sunday nites, program the DVR for the upcoming week, and there's normally "something" on when I have my limited time to watch. Without the DVR, dish would have lost a subscriber. Commercials didn't really enter into it.

Yes, I do skip most commercials, but I'm usually not a potential customer anyway, for many of the products-I don't see myself buying "Enzyte" anytime soon, I have a car, and I don't eat much fast food.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1
Interesting analogy, but there's one aspect of the actual situation that it doesn't reflect: Imagine that there is a toll booth on the road, and they're controlling the speed limit because if folks drive too fast through the toll booth, the toll booth cannot record the toll.

One thing I think a lot of folks easily forget about television is that it isn't an entitlement, but rather intellectual property that someone is sharing with us in return for considerations. Conceptually, skipping commercials violates the something-for-something principle. We love to do it, but if we skip the commercials, what's in it for the folks presenting the programs? I know my customers would love to skip paying the bills my accounting people send them, but I'd probably not have a DVR to speak of if they did! :)
So, if you feel obligated to watch them, then feel free to do so.

The rest of us here feel free to choose not to.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I already feel I give the the advertisers more than enough "consideration" just by putting up with TV shows filled with their product placements.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-10-2006, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
I already feel I give the the advertisers more than enough "consideration" just by putting up with TV shows filled with their product placements.
Yet they disagree (and it's their money that goes into producing the shows). So clearly what is necessary is coming to a meeting of the minds, where both sides get what they want out of the transaction.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1
Yet they disagree (and it's their money that goes into producing the shows). So clearly what is necessary is coming to a meeting of the minds, where both sides get what they want out of the transaction.
I don't feel "entitled" to anything. They can do whatever is deemed necessary and I shall do the same, as long as it's not illegal.

As far as "immoral", I'm an adult, and I don't appreciate being preached to. I am not "obligated' in any way to "have to" watch their commercials, and I don't feel guilty for not doing so, if that's what you're implying. Next you'll be telling us we owe it to them to buy their products, too.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 AM

No, they aren't entitled to expect you to buy what they're selling.

I explicitly said, in the message you quoted, that what is necessary is coming to a meeting of the minds, where both sides get what they want out of the transaction. You can call that preaching, if you wish, but it is the reality of the situation. They're not going to do things because you or I want them to; they're going to do things because it is in their best interest to do those things.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page