Motorola QIP6416 w/ Verizon FiOS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i just received installation of FiOS TV and was given the QIP6416 Motorola HD DVR that i had read so much about here. My question is this - Has anyone been able to figure out or find information regarding activating the input devices (SD RCA's, front panel RCA's, USB ports, Firewire ports, etc).

Spoke to a Verizon CSR (who i dont think had any clue as to what i was talking about) and was told that all INPUT connections on the device are disabled b/c of copyright. is there a way to enable the input devices? I plugged in a cruzer usb storage device and the light indicating power flashed, however, it did not activate so i am guessing all the connections are connected just disabled via software. is there a software or hardware switch to be able to activate and enable those inputs? or am i just SOL regarding using the DVR as a Multimedia hub?

If anyone has any information regarding the QIP6416 and improving its functionality, please help me out.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM

I have an old TV w/only one video input. I used to run my DVD player thru the Video Input on my Comccast DVR but that does not work w/the new box QIP6416-2. I was told that no inputs work because it is an ""all digital" box. Well correct me if I'm wriong but the signal has to go analog at some point to work on my ****** old TV doesn't it? ;-)

Well, if you have found any helpful info, please pass along - The kids want to watch Peter Pan onm the big (old) TV!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2007, 06:05 AM

I've had he QIP6416 for four days now and for some reason the STB's in the other rooms keep losing contact with QIP6416 and will not play back the recorded programs. Unplugging the QIP6416 seems to restore the connectivity to the STB's for a few hours. Thus far I have had to unplug the QIP6416 three times, over four days, to restore the STB DVR connectivity. Is there something wrong with Verizon's setup with this piece of equipment?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Simply put, the answer is no.

The lack of certain features, such as functional inputs, is not due to some hidden setting on the box by your cable company. Rather, the lack of those features is due to the lack of software support. The code isn't in the box to make those features work. You can't use a network card in your PC without the appropriate driver, and the same thing is true of the inputs on the STB.

About the only thing you can do with the USB ports is charge an iPod, since the interface always has power.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Please note there is a thread dedicated to the Verizon DVR in the HDTV Recorders forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=617635
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page