6416 Hard Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my special bit to remove the case screws, i always thought there were 2 hard drives but only 1.
I've read that 160 gig is the limit with this setup, after removing the cover the mainboard says yr 2005 and model 6412 on it....grrrrr.
Has anyone actually attempted a larger drive?, i figure i could try ghosting in DOS a copy of the 160 drive to a 300 gig sata drive.
Most likely if it worked it still say the same as the 160, but i'll give it a shot anyway
Also i would like to try a bare drive and see what the box comes up with for error codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So has anyone had any luck with upgrading the drive in the 6416?
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man
I got my special bit to remove the case screws...
What is the bit called and where did you get it from? I'm wanting to explore under the hood a little. : )

Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2006, 03:28 PM

Just some useful info I gleaned from a support call the other night. I haven't upgraded the drive yet as I just got my box about a week ago, I usually don't tear stuff apart until it gets boring. Anyway, my box stopped being able to record anything, it always reported the drive as being full even though I deleted all the recordings and the status showed 0% full.

When I called for support, they asked if I had any recorded shows I desperately needed to save and when I replied "no' he said "alright, lets re-initialize your hard drive."

POWER-CBL-OK

With the unit ON press POWER and immediately, like while it is shutting down press CBL and then press OK. Kinda of a boop-boop-boop rhythm, I had to do it twice.

BACK-LIST-LIVE

You're then presented with a white diagnostics screen, I wanted to look at this later so I made a point to memorize these key sequences. While on this screen, make sure the front of your unit has d01 displayed (also the selection on the screen) then press BACK-LIST-LIVE in the same kinda rapid succession. BACK, of course being the button to the left of LIST, the undo-lookin' symbol. The display on the front of the box should change to cLR.

I don't know what this all deletes, I didn't have any Favorite channels or anything by then. I assume it wipes everything, either that or FOR is too hard to display on the box's LCD.

This formats the hard drive. Now, you would think there would be no hard-coded size restrictions in the unit and it would format the drive just like your computer would. In fact, if it doesn't work, you might want to hook the new drive up to your computer and make sure there are no existing partitions and try it again. Or, if there are no partitions, make one :)

This hardware being from a cable company I have a feeling we are going to be disappointed but please let us know how this goes.

Edit: Oops, how could I forget he also told me "leave the unit on that white screen until it shuts off but some units don't shut off after the intialization in which case turn it off and back on after 45 minutes. Allow a few minutes for your guide to download and you should be back in business."
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page