Very confused about DVR..direction appreciated - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This area is totally confusing. I tried my best to read the threads to understand DVR and I guess Personal Video Recording to hard drive but big confusion. I see you can have cable boxes or satellite boxes with built in HDD recording or I guess buy special Digital TVs.

But can one just buy something (a box) that will work like a VCR, with on screen menus to schedule a TV program recording? I dont need to record HDTV but just the normal digital channels on my cable system. HDTV would be a plus but not necessary.

I am getting a new HDTV that has all the firewire and gadget inputs and outputs. Its a Mitsubishi 65732. Does that somehow facilitate the ability to do HDD recording? Ideally Id just like to buy a box.

thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Both Tivo's and the DVD burners with hard drives act just like a VCR on steroids, the biggest decision right now is to pay 2-300 for a standard def PVR, 800-1000 for hi-def, or wait because you don't think you could bear to watch anything in standard def and don't want to lay down 1000 for a PVR... Ah to buy a betamax for $2000 or VHS for $1500, what a choice that was!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBubba
Both Tivo's and the DVD burners with hard drives act just like a VCR on steroids, the biggest decision right now is to pay 2-300 for a standard def PVR, 800-1000 for hi-def, or wait because you don't think you could bear to watch anything in standard def and don't want to lay down 1000 for a PVR... Ah to buy a betamax for $2000 or VHS for $1500, what a choice that was!
Good tip thanks. Ive been reading the Mitsubish 65732 manual and it suggest I can record over firewire to an external harddrive. It has all the controls software built into the TV. Is this true? CAn I attached an external drive and just use the TVs features to record and playback. I assume for HDTV too since its a 1080p. Ill go ahead and ask as a new thread.

thanks!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
You should consider renting a high definition DVR from your cable company. It allows you to record 2 shows at the same time or watching one while recording a different show. This may be handy with the new Fall TV Season. The high definition DVR may be the same cost or just a little more depending on your cable company. If you don't like the DVR, just return it. This would give you more experience using a DVR before spending a lot of money buying a DVR.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by largdiag
Good tip thanks. Ive been reading the Mitsubish 65732 manual and it suggest I can record over firewire to an external harddrive. It has all the controls software built into the TV. Is this true? CAn I attached an external drive and just use the TVs features to record and playback. I assume for HDTV too since its a 1080p. Ill go ahead and ask as a new thread.

thanks!
No, not to a standard firewire drive. The drive has to be a special AVHDD drive with firewire connections (intellegent firewire drive with AVHDD software). The following is an example of one of those drives.

http://www.nokstec.com/61_RCADVR2160...FSI7GAodgn2l6w

Using anything except a cable/SAT provided DVR for recording HD may not give you the desired results. The folloing are the restrictions when using a firewire AVHDD.
  • Cannot use a STB for receiving and recording HD since it connects to the HDTV via HDMI, Component, or DVI. An AVHDD requires that the signal be received by the RF connection or in some cases will allow composite connection.
  • An AVHDD may or may not allow (i'm not sure how this is treated) recording of HD broadcasts that are content protected (some HD OTA broadcasts are currently content protected at Copy Never).