Newbie DVR Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-01-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I have Comcast DVR for my local cable channels; I also have DISH network for a particular international channel - however DISH is refusing to lease a DVR since I have not got international channels from them.

I am looking for a simple DVR which can record upto 80 hours of standard (non HD) programming. It should take in either a RCA input (yellow/red/white) or S-Video+audio(L/R) input. I dont want to pay for any monthly Tivo-like service - just want to play for the hard disk and recording capability (i dont need any TV guide service)

One common suggestion I have got so far is Windows Media Center PC for doing this - but given my current setup with PC and TV in 2 different floors and the fact that I dont have xbox, makes this a difficult option.

any simple DVR sold out there which accepts RCA/component input and can record upto 80 hours and does not require any monthly payment for TV-guide/tivo type service?

Really appreciate any help here - I am a newbie in this field. Thanks a LOT !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Most of the DVD recorders with a hard drive will do what you are looking for The Panasonic EH55 is supposed to be good, but you have lot's of options.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks FarmBubba; does that mean that even if buy a DVR box which is inherently associated with a monthly service (like DirecTv box or Tivo box from eBay), they will continue to work fine without the monthly service, if all I rely on is its capability to record via the RCA AV Input?

thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

A Tivo or Replay from Ebay will be doorstops without the monthly fee unless it has Lifetime activation included. A DirecTV PVR is sometimes included in your monthly fee with Directv if your on the right plan.
Everything that doesn't need a montly fee either tries to get the free chanel guide, which is not available in all areas; Or is programed like a glorified VCR.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page