Motorola Comcast DVR issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My father got the motorola dvr 6412 dual tuner dvr for his comcast cable. He has no sound on anything that he schedules to record while gone from the house. The video is there, but it has no sound. On the top center of the picture from the recorded material it says mute in small letters. (Yes, we hit the mute button on the remote and it does nothing)
System works fine if everything is on and then you hit record.
Ideas??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2006, 09:02 PM

Mine does that frequently. The cable box has turned mute on by mistake and I'm assuming your remote is firing the mute command at the TV or stereo receiver. You'll either need to make sure the cable box remote is set to control the cable box before you hit mute.

Or, I believe I once found a convoluted way around that by going to the Comcast main menu, selecting "setup", then "audio", then toggling the "optimal stereo" option.

But I would recommend programming your remote to make the mute button link to the cable box.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-07-2006, 05:29 PM

I just got the Motorola DCT6416 III from Time Warner in San Diego. I selected a program to record and shut off the unit. The unit automatically turned on at the appropriate time and started recording. When I turned on the TV, there was no sound. I could see the word "mute" at the top of the screen. I tried to push the mute button on the remote, but it did not work. The tv was not muted. I could not switch to the cable box to try to unmute it. Any ideas anyone?? Also, when it is finished recording, it will automatically shut off. Even if I am watching another show.....Kind of annoying...
post #4 of 9 Old 10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This is oft-discussed issue with Moto boxes. Many, as do I, recommend leaving the box on 24/7. It's really always on anyway. I did find that after several weeks like that, it wasn't uncommon for me to have to power cycle the box to restore 5.1 sound versus only outputing stereo. My box is connected with component cables and coax for digital audio.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #5 of 9 Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Someone else also told me to leave it on 24/7. But if the box automatically records whatever station that you are watching, won't the hard drive fill up??
post #6 of 9 Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 AM

My limited understanding is that the video it records to support the "rewind" function only goes back so far (2 or 3 hours, I'm not exactly sure) and that space is treated as an "open" section on the HD, so new content can overwrite it.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipg View Post

My father got the motorola dvr 6412 dual tuner dvr for his comcast cable. He has no sound on anything that he schedules to record while gone from the house. The video is there, but it has no sound. On the top center of the picture from the recorded material it says mute in small letters. (Yes, we hit the mute button on the remote and it does nothing)
System works fine if everything is on and then you hit record.
Ideas??
Thanks

I reprogrammed my remote to have the cable box mute button because mine did the same thing. I usually just leave my box on but once in a while it get's turned off. There was a thread on this forum as to how to reprogram it, I'm at work so I can't get to the info. There is also a way to do a 30 sec skip button too. Just pick a button on the comcast remote you don't think you'll use.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Any other suggestions? Tried the advanced audio and that didnt work for me. I am about ready to tell Time Warner were to put this box. No 30 second skip, and then to have to have ads in the tv guide...

Edit

Next google search down found some solutions, http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...te#Remap_a_Key

none worked for me, this is going back to Time Warner. Back to replay for me. I dont need hd that badly.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35rocker View Post

Someone else also told me to leave it on 24/7. But if the box automatically records whatever station that you are watching, won't the hard drive fill up??

No, the unit buffers the channel(s) the tuner is on. It will record, keep a copy of content, based on YOUR settings.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page