Comcast DVR powers-off after recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Comcast DVR (Motorola 6412 dual tuner) seems to always turn itself off after a recording has completed if I am watching a pre-recorded video at the time.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could the DVR be responding to "off" commands my harmony remote may or may not have sent to it while it was recording?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delhux
My Comcast DVR (Motorola 6412 dual tuner) seems to always turn itself off after a recording has completed if I am watching a pre-recorded video at the time.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could the DVR be responding to "off" commands my harmony remote may or may not have sent to it while it was recording?
Iv'e had that happen to me several times so I think that is a normal bug in the software just like the mute issue.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-07-2006, 04:25 PM

What is the mute issue?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35rocker
What is the mute issue?
If I remember correctly, the mute issue is that if a program is being recorded and you power on the TV, the sound will be muted from the DVR. For people using the standard remote this can be a difficult problem to solve since the mute button will usually mute the TV instead of unmuting the DVR.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no OFF mode to the STB unless you unplug it from the power socket. It is more of a sleep or standby mode.

There is no need to turn the STB to standby (off) mode. The only thing it does is shut down the Audio & Video Outputs and the STB LED Display. The HDD will still buffer the 2 tuners, and the STB will still be updating the IPG data and talking to your cableco's headend.

When the box is in standby (off mode) , it will wake from standby (turn on) for timed recordings and auto mute the audio outputs. (incase you left your audio or tv vol. on.

When the timed recording is done, it will put the STB back in Standby mode. It does not check to see if you are watching a pre-recorded show or the other tuner.

Best way to avoid both of these issues is to always leave the STB on.

:)

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2006, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa
There is no OFF mode to the STB unless you unplug it from the power socket. It is more of a sleep or standby mode.

There is no need to turn the STB to standby (off) mode. The only thing it does is shut down the Audio & Video Outputs and the STB LED Display. The HDD will still buffer the 2 tuners, and the STB will still be updating the IPG data and talking to your cableco's headend.

When the box is in standby (off mode) , it will wake from standby (turn on) for timed recordings and auto mute the audio outputs. (incase you left your audio or tv vol. on.

When the timed recording is done, it will put the STB back in Standby mode. It does not check to see if you are watching a pre-recorded show or the other tuner.

Best way to avoid both of these issues is to always leave the STB on.

:)
Wow, great response! Do you know what the power consumption difference is between standby and on modes for this device?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, great response! Do you know what the power consumption difference is between standby and on modes for this device?
not much. about 3-7w at the most.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:

if the DVR was off when the recording started it will shut itself off after the recording is complete. I leave mine on most of the time so I don't have this problem. I don't think I ever had it recording while I was watching something that was pre-recorded.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page