Comcast DCT3416-I DVR BOX - Page 2 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > Comcast DCT3416-I DVR BOX

Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

RetRoe's Avatar RetRoe
11:45 AM Liked: 10
post #31 of 142
03-11-2007 | Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

That is not a feature of that DVR.

It's constantly set to 720p? It can't be changed? If thats true then that really sucks. Why would anyone want a HD cabelbox/DVR that ONLY outputs 720p ?

Does the 3416-I allow you to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV?
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2
06:25 PM Liked: 10
post #32 of 142
03-11-2007 | Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post

The cable box sends only 720p no matter which channel its on. HD, SD, it doesn't matter. when I press the info button on the TVs remote it always says the video resolution is @1280 x 720.

Is it possible that when you press the TV's info button, the TV is simply reporting its native resolution (assuming you have a 720p/1080i TV)? What does the TV manual say with regard to this particular remote button press - i.e., does the manual say that pressing the TV remote's info button is supposed to tell you something about what the cable box is doing?
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
06:00 AM Liked: 11
post #33 of 142
03-12-2007 | Posts: 8,289
Quote:

It's constantly set to 720p? It can't be changed?

You asked, "how to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV." As I said, there is no way to set the cable box up to do that. You have to change the resolution the box sends out manually, each time you want it to change. To do so, you need to turn the unit off and make the change in the service menu. Here are the instructions: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup

Quote:

Does the 3416-I allow you to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV?

That is not a feature of the Motorola DVRs.
RetRoe's Avatar RetRoe
12:25 AM Liked: 10
post #34 of 142
03-14-2007 | Posts: 349
Quote:

You asked, "how to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV." As I said, there is no way to set the cable box up to do that. You have to change the resolution the box sends out manually, each time you want it to change. To do so, you need to turn the unit off and make the change in the service menu. Here are the instructions: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_...rola_DVR/Setup

Thanks for the very informative link. I'm planning on doing the setup the next time I'm over my Dads house and I'm certain that I should be able to improve the PQ by setting it to output 1080i over HDMI.

I also read from that link that "The 34xx has no analog tuner". Would this be a reason why analog and regular SD channels look so bad when viewing them on my Dad's Sammie LN-S4041D?

I also read that 4:3 OVERRIDE tells the DVR how to output SD programming. I'm assuming his must be set to STRETCH where the SD is converted to the HDMI/YPbPR OUTPUT format and stretched horizontally for a 16:9 screen. This would explain why no matter what channel his TV is on it always says 1280 x 720. I'm wondering though if I should turn that to OFF because it says some displays can do a better job of converting SD material. Or perhaps I should set it to 480i?
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
05:47 AM Liked: 11
post #35 of 142
03-14-2007 | Posts: 8,289
Quote:

I also read from that link that "The 34xx has no analog tuner". Would this be a reason why analog and regular SD channels look so bad when viewing them on my Dad's Sammie LN-S4041D?

No. That's why SD looks so "different". In some cases, SD looks worse. In other cases, SD looks just as good or better. That's the case here in my home. SD via analog sucks, and is rather good via ADS (analog-digital simulcasting; i.e., digital). (That's probably because, via analog, the signal degrades all the way from the head-end to here, at the outer edge of town. By comparison, they had to do whatever was necessary to get the digital signal this far, stable enough to be seen at all, and digital is either all good or no good.)

The only thing about the SD (via analog or digital) on the HDTV is that the picture is between two and three times larger than on our other televisions, so the imperfections which are an inevitable part of every analog broadcast are magnified on the larger screen. You can more clearly see how bad SD has always been.

Quote:

I also read that 4:3 OVERRIDE tells the DVR how to output SD programming. I'm assuming his must be set to STRETCH where the SD is converted to the HDMI/YPbPR OUTPUT format and stretched horizontally for a 16:9 screen. This would explain why no matter what channel his TV is on it always says 1280 x 720. I'm wondering though if I should turn that to OFF because it says some displays can do a better job of converting SD material. Or perhaps I should set it to 480i?

STRETCH is bad, of course.

Regarding the 4:3 override, OFF is bad AFAIC because you lose Closed Captioning. (My wife is hearing impaired.) 480i is good. I think I have mine set to 480p.
grimmjr's Avatar grimmjr
08:44 AM Liked: 10
post #36 of 142
03-14-2007 | Posts: 1
Got the DCT3416 a week ago and was using with no issues (other than minor ones I see on this thread) using coax output and an older TV. Took the plunge and bought the Sony KDL-40V2500, hooked it up with the HDMI out from the DCT3416 directly to the set, with the digital optical audio output from the DCT3416 hooked into my Onkyo home theather receiver.

I get the COMCAST "This channel should be available shortly" message and the channel info at the bottom of the screen, but no TV picture. Also no audio through the receiver even with correct optical input selected (this was working fine before too). Have spent a few hours going through setup and diagnostics on both DCT3416 and TV -- and I am reasonable good at this stuff so I think I have got a real issue outside of setup. Sony support claims no compatibility issues with the DCT3416. Signal is amplified in the house. I am dreading a call to COMCAST to weed through this so hoping for some expert help here.

Thanks
RetRoe's Avatar RetRoe
03:00 PM Liked: 10
post #37 of 142
Quote:

STRETCH is bad, of course.

Regarding the 4:3 override, OFF is bad AFAIC because you lose Closed Captioning. (My wife is hearing impaired.) 480i is good. I think I have mine set to 480p.

Well I talked my Dad through accessing the User Settings menu on his Moto DCT 3412-I DVR over the phone. Everything was going well, had him change his HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT to 1080i but when I had him change 4:3 override setting to 480i it caused him to loose everything (no picture). And then he said that he could no longer change the source on the TV to HDMI. (TV said that mode is not supported). wtf?

I had him turn the TV off and back on but still no HDMI signal. I had him switch the source on the TV to component (luckily I had setup his DVR with both HDMI and component sources connected to the TV prior to this). I asked him to then see if he could get back into the User Settings menu with the TV on component. He could so I had him set the 4:3 override to 480p and everything was fine again and he can use both HDMI and component. So I told him to leave it like that and next time I'm over his house I'll take a look.

Seems really strange though that setting the HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT to 1080i and then setting the 4:3 override to 480i would cause such unstable conditions. Because 480i is the native resolution of the SD channels and I didn't want the Moto DVR upscaling the signal at all. I wanted to let his Sammie LN-S4041D do any signal scaling and deinterlacing. But for some reason the Moto 3412 w/Sammie did not seem to like this 480i setting in the 4:3 override. Any idea why?
RetRoe's Avatar RetRoe
03:10 PM Liked: 10
post #38 of 142
To grimmjr with the DCT3416 issues. I can think of two things right off the bat:

1. Try power-cycling the cablebox. Turn it off and unplug it from the power source. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes. Plug it back in and turn it back on.

2. When you got your 3416 you should have got a phone number to call to have Comcast send a signal through to the box. If not, call Comcast to get this number or just have them send a signal through to see if this is all you need.
Raddatzwaben's Avatar Raddatzwaben
08:16 AM Liked: 10
post #39 of 142
03-16-2007 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 blue View Post

Just swapped out my old comcast box for a DTC-3416. It seems to work okay except for the constant fan noise. Does the fan ever shut off? The only way to stop the fan from running is to unplug the box. Talked to comcast and they said this is normal.

I've never heard the fan. Sure it isn't a noisy disk drive? The 3416 is notorious for disk chatter.

Also, feel free to power the 3416 'off' when it's not in use. As long as AC power is available to the device, it still will record any programs that you've set up or that are in your series priority list.
Raddatzwaben's Avatar Raddatzwaben
08:26 AM Liked: 10
post #40 of 142
03-16-2007 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmjr View Post

Got the DCT3416 a week ago and was using with no issues (other than minor ones I see on this thread) using coax output and an older TV. Took the plunge and bought the Sony KDL-40V2500, hooked it up with the HDMI out from the DCT3416 directly to the set, with the digital optical audio output from the DCT3416 hooked into my Onkyo home theather receiver.

I get the COMCAST "This channel should be available shortly" message and the channel info at the bottom of the screen, but no TV picture. Also no audio through the receiver even with correct optical input selected (this was working fine before too). Have spent a few hours going through setup and diagnostics on both DCT3416 and TV -- and I am reasonable good at this stuff so I think I have got a real issue outside of setup. Sony support claims no compatibility issues with the DCT3416. Signal is amplified in the house. I am dreading a call to COMCAST to weed through this so hoping for some expert help here.

Thanks

Just curious. The 3416 is interactive; it transmits and receives and to transmit back to the cable servers any splitter/combiners would have to be two-way (with negligible insertion loss). Unless the amplifier is bi-directional and can pass the digital signals, that also can cause problems. Best to ensure that the 3416 has access to the main cable feed, perhaps through only one two-way splitter. An easy way to ID problems caused by splitters/amps is to temporarily run RG-59 or RG-6 directly from your cable demarc to the 3416.

Since the CableTV Act was adopted in 1994 and wiring past the cable demarc was deregulated, I've installed whole-house amplifiers that feed 8-way splitters to distribute cable to every room. When the 3416 was installed, I broke off a split from the main demarc just for the 3416; otherwise, no way would it be able to interact with Comcast's servers or handle the digital channels. I'll also be SOL when Comcast removes HBO from analog service soon. But that's why we have DVR.
unpaidbill's Avatar unpaidbill
03:43 PM Liked: 10
post #41 of 142
03-19-2007 | Posts: 5
The issue that's cropped up on mine happened again today. It said the disc was 100% full when there was only about 6 hours on it. I deleted one-one hour program, and it said 12% full. I don't feel that I can count on it recording when I'm not here to watch over it...which kind of limits its usefulness. I just re-booted it so I guess I'll see what happens.
Derrick1968's Avatar Derrick1968
05:26 PM Liked: 10
post #42 of 142
03-20-2007 | Posts: 3
I've had my 3416-I about 6 weeks. The first couple weeks it ran fine, then I started having issues with On demand menus taking forever to load or just not loading at all, at first, I thought It was just issues with the menus but our other non dvr cable box works just fine. So just a few days ago over the weekend the 3416 box "crashed" for lack of a better word, when it rebooted......about 5 min. later.....it wouldn't read the dvr for at least an hour. After that neither the guide or the on demand worked for about a day and a half. We had do a manual input for recording While I was having issues I called a Comcast tech on Saturday afternoon, she couldnt get a signal from the box. It works today,for now. How do I update the firmware and where do I find what version mine is...I looked on the diagnostics page and the GIOS reads:12.35 . I assume thats the firmware version
WRolls's Avatar WRolls
06:29 PM Liked: 10
post #43 of 142
03-20-2007 | Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddatzwaben View Post

Just curious. The 3416 is interactive; it transmits and receives and to transmit back to the cable servers any splitter/combiners would have to be two-way (with negligible insertion loss). Unless the amplifier is bi-directional and can pass the digital signals, that also can cause problems. Best to ensure that the 3416 has access to the main cable feed, perhaps through only one two-way splitter. An easy way to ID problems caused by splitters/amps is to temporarily run RG-59 or RG-6 directly from your cable demarc to the 3416.

Since the CableTV Act was adopted in 1994 and wiring past the cable demarc was deregulated, I've installed whole-house amplifiers that feed 8-way splitters to distribute cable to every room. When the 3416 was installed, I broke off a split from the main demarc just for the 3416; otherwise, no way would it be able to interact with Comcast's servers or handle the digital channels. I'll also be SOL when Comcast removes HBO from analog service soon. But that's why we have DVR.

I have the 3416 as well as a cable modem. Both need to talk back to the cable company. When I installed a 3 way splitter to directly connect these two devices and then amplified the third leg to a 5 way splitter for the rest of my house, the signal was weak at the modem and 3416 and I had a lot of ghosting on the other TV's. So I purchase a bi-directional amplifier (my original Amp was not bi-directional) and connected it up to the main cable coming in followed by an 8 way splitter. This improved the signal to the 3416 and cable modem and solved all of the signal issues on my other TV's. I am very happy with my cable now. For reference, the amplifier I used is a Motorola Signal Booster Broadband Drop Amp. It was about $50 if I recall correctly. Got it at a local electronics store (Best Buy I think).
Jakes's Avatar Jakes
06:05 PM Liked: 13
post #44 of 142
03-22-2007 | Posts: 473
Hello,
Perhaps someone can help me here.

I swapped my DCT 6412 II this past weekend for a DCT 3416 I. I did it for the extra HDD space and because my old box was VERY buggy. (I have noticed a big difference in storage capability between the 120GB HDD and the 160GB HDD, BTW.) I am using an HDMI to DVI cable into my Panasonic PHD8UK.

Here's my problem... Every time I turn on my equipment, the DVR and the Plasma do not sync (i.e. the digital handshake problem) and the screen is white noise. I can fix this by turning the DVR off then on again, or if that is not an option (the DVR is recording) by unplugging the hdmi cable from the DVR and plugging it back in. Since this is super annoying to me (and the wife does not like it either), my question is this...

If I buy an HDMI board for my plasma and install it where the DVI board was, then use an HDMI to HDMI cable, will this problem be fixed? I am much too impatient to wait for a firmware fix to come along, and the HDMI board can be bought fairly cheap ~$120. I have firmware 16.20 right now in Boston.
Thanks,
Jakes
heyjoe715's Avatar heyjoe715
11:20 PM Liked: 10
post #45 of 142
03-22-2007 | Posts: 4
Howdy,

I've got the comcast motorola DCT3416. Anyone know how to retreive the messages when the little red (msgs) light is lit up on the front panel? Or what it is for? I'ts been on for a couple days now and I'm just curious.

I've searched the web and downloaded a user guide for this model but it just says it lights up when the DVR has received messages for me to read. It does not say how to retreive the messages, unless I'm going blind and don't see it in the manual. Thank you.
heyjoe715's Avatar heyjoe715
11:47 PM Liked: 10
post #46 of 142
03-22-2007 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe715 View Post

Howdy,

I've got the comcast motorola DCT3416. Anyone know how to retreive the messages when the little red (msgs) light is lit up on the front panel? Or what it is for? I'ts been on for a couple days now and I'm just curious.

I've searched the web and downloaded a user guide for this model but it just says it lights up when the DVR has received messages for me to read. It does not say how to retreive the messages, unless I'm going blind and don't see it in the manual. Thank you.

Nevermind, disregard the message above. I found it.

For anyone else looking, using the remote, its under "Menu", then "Settings", then "Messages from Comcast".
Jakes's Avatar Jakes
06:18 AM Liked: 13
post #47 of 142
03-23-2007 | Posts: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe715 View Post

Nevermind, disregard the message above. I found it.

For anyone else looking, using the remote, its under "Menu", then "Settings", then "Messages from Comcast".

That message light drives me crazy. I tried using the "Disable Messages" feature on my DVR, but Comcast has conveniently disabled that feature. Their message are that important I guess. It is frustrating when you have multiple STB's with multiple messages that constantly need to be deleted in order to make that red light go away!
Grrrrr63's Avatar Grrrrr63
10:36 AM Liked: 10
post #48 of 142
03-25-2007 | Posts: 1
I got this unit on Friday and it worked fine for about 6 hours. Now I can't get channels 19-98. If I disconnect it from my plasma tv and put the digital box on the tv from another tv, it works fine.

What is wrong with this unit. Grrr, I wish I had kept my old digital box because my favorite channels aren't available on this tv now. I hate to take the digital box from someone tv.

Can anyone help. I don't want to hear Comcast lies and excuses. All they want is for someone to come out and check it out. It's obvious it doesn't work if the regular digital box work on my 42" plasma HD tv.
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
04:57 AM Liked: 11
post #49 of 142
03-26-2007 | Posts: 8,289
It sounds like your box is bad and you need to have it swapped out for another.
steve_rowles's Avatar steve_rowles
09:22 AM Liked: 10
post #50 of 142
04-05-2007 | Posts: 6
I was wondering if you could help me. I've looked on the forums, but nothing seems specific to this problem.

Recently got two DCT3416 converters set up through component cables. I was used to having my TV volume set about half way, then adjust the volume through the converter. I never had an issue.

Then I purchased an HDMI cable and connected it to one of my LG tvs. Now, when I turn volume up or down, converter's 'volume bar' graphic shows that it is ramping up, but has no affect on the output of the volume. I tested this on both boxes.

Any idea on what would cause this?
lieb923's Avatar lieb923
04:43 AM Liked: 10
post #51 of 142
04-06-2007 | Posts: 13
Same problem here. I use the TV remote to control the volume.
SixthCylon's Avatar SixthCylon
02:18 PM Liked: 10
post #52 of 142
04-14-2007 | Posts: 4
I did a test today on the DCT3416 to see if there was any difference in PQ between component wires and hdmi... No real difference between the two except maybe darker blacks thru hdmi. Sound quality was MUCH better and louder using hdmi... While doing this test on my Awesome 47pf9441d i noticed the annoying green screen that people have been talking about, especially when changing between hd and sd channels (It wasn,t happening before the test). I was able to get rid of it by switching the 4:3 override on the DCT3416 to off.. All is good now except i still can't figure out CC, when i enable it thru the cable box it shows on the tv even when i select CC off from the tv menu. It would be alot esier if i could control it from my tv instead of having mess with the settings of a powered down cable box.
bplewis24's Avatar bplewis24
06:12 PM Liked: 14
post #53 of 142
04-14-2007 | Posts: 7,743
I just got the DCT3416 and cable installed last week. I'm curious to know, what type of data transmission is the ethernet port used for? Does anybody know?

Brandon
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
06:00 AM Liked: 11
post #54 of 142
04-15-2007 | Posts: 8,289
It's for future enhancement, AFAIK.
whateverdude's Avatar whateverdude
09:25 AM Liked: 10
post #55 of 142
04-16-2007 | Posts: 23
Sigh... I just added a Comcast DVR to my setup. Now when I turn on or off Parental Locks the audio drops out and wont return (even if I change channels) unless I turn off and on again either the DVR, VP50 or receiver. Using HDMI. Any thoughts? Also I cant change to the SD channels via remote, even though they are there if I slow scroll to them. Bah.

Update after speaking with tech: With the DVR if I wanted to select say channel 12 I need to input 012 into the remote. Audio drop out is supposedly a problem they are aware of.
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
05:33 AM Liked: 11
post #56 of 142
04-17-2007 | Posts: 8,289
You can address the 12/012 issue via the Auto-Tune setting.
daqtrader's Avatar daqtrader
02:25 PM Liked: 10
post #57 of 142
04-18-2007 | Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCylon View Post

I did a test today on the DCT3416 to see if there was any difference in PQ between component wires and hdmi... No real difference between the two except maybe darker blacks thru hdmi. Sound quality was MUCH better and louder using hdmi... While doing this test on my Awesome 47pf9441d i noticed the annoying green screen that people have been talking about, especially when changing between hd and sd channels (It wasn,t happening before the test). I was able to get rid of it by switching the 4:3 override on the DCT3416 to off.. All is good now except i still can't figure out CC, when i enable it thru the cable box it shows on the tv even when i select CC off from the tv menu. It would be alot esier if i could control it from my tv instead of having mess with the settings of a powered down cable box.

How do you switch the 4:3 override to OFF on the DCT3416? I got the green screen too on my SONY KDL-46XBR2
Thanks.
bplewis24's Avatar bplewis24
09:35 AM Liked: 14
post #58 of 142
04-19-2007 | Posts: 7,743
To get into the settings menu you have to first turn off the DVR by pressing power. When it is off (usually the picture is still visible but the audio stream drops out...at least for me) then press the "menu" button and a service menu will pop up giving you some options. Among them is the 4:3 override option, but I believe it is only accessible if you have the 16x9 HD resolution set to 1080i or 720p.

Brandon
George SSSS's Avatar George SSSS
09:18 PM Liked: 10
post #59 of 142
05-05-2007 | Posts: 96
Does the DCT 3416 I support picture-in-picture? I see the connections in back, but how do I do it?

Thanks
George SSSS's Avatar George SSSS
11:55 PM Liked: 10
post #60 of 142
05-09-2007 | Posts: 96
Anyone know how to do it?

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Subscribe to this Thread