Comcast DCT3416-I DVR BOX - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 142 Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this new box two days ago.
At first I had the HDMI cable running from the cable box to my 42" panny and then running an Optical Cable from the back of the Panny to my Yamaha Receiver.

With this configuration the sound was working great.
I then changed it to have the Optical Cable run from the Cable box itself to the Receiver, with that setup the audio is not in sync with the picture. There seems to be a .5 second or so delay.
I set it back to the original setup I had to keep the sound in sync.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 142 Old 05-11-2007, 03:07 AM

Liked: 11
Indeed, that's why my sound system has a set-up screen for adjusting the delay to match the picture.
post #63 of 142 Old 05-11-2007, 06:04 AM

But how can you speed up the sound system when the issue is coming from the cable box itself?

When I go from the cable box, to the, TV then to the receiver it's fine (that is also on HDMI from the cable to the tv, then optical form tv to the receiver), when I go from the cable box (using the optical) to the receiver that is where I get the delay.
post #64 of 142 Old 05-12-2007, 04:42 AM

Either your problem is at the source, or you've got a delay being introduced at your sound system, which you can just throttle back. The cable box generally doesn't introduce any delay.
post #65 of 142 Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40 View Post

I just got the DCT 3416 yesterday. Should I program the "All On/OFF" botton on the remote to turn the DVR off every time I turn the TV off, or do I just leave it on all the time. I'm getting confliting advice on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Leave it on all the time.

In theory I have to disagree with this. If the DVR power is off, it's not recording the current channel for the rewind buffer. This would keep the hard drive writing down and should keep the entire DVR running cooler.

I recently started powering off my DVRs when they aren't in use. What's the benefit of leaving it on?
post #66 of 142 Old 05-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post

What's the benefit of leaving it on?

They work more reliably.
post #67 of 142 Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 AM
wns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Either your problem is at the source, or you've got a delay being introduced at your sound system, which you can just throttle back. The cable box generally doesn't introduce any delay.

When I power on, the current channel has noticeable audio delay. This is corrected by pausing the current channel and then pressing LIVE. Changing from an SD channel to another SD channel (or from an HD channel to another HD channel) also corrects the audio delay.

Changing from SD channel to an HD channel (or visa versa) re-introduces the audio delay.

I run HDMI from the 3416 to a Samsung HT-85 and then HDMI to the display. This audio delay seemed to appear with the 16.20 firmware.

Last night the 3416 froze and after cold booting a couple of times, it has still not downloaded the guide. (The clock is still stuck at 12:00, all DVR and on-demand functions are dead). Hopefully, when the tech shows up tomorrow with the new box, it will be better than this one that I have had for the passed six months.

Based on the last 3 Moto DVR boxes I've had, they all seem to die after 6 to 8 months.
post #68 of 142 Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM

I could use some guidance and moral support, if you don't mind. My Moxi went dead after a power outage that we had out here in
Channel Islands Harbor- Oxnard on Monday night.
So anyway, TWC came out today and switched out the MOXI box with a 3416 I Motorola DVR

I pay for all the channels and everyone one of them but the HD ones look awful. They are grainy or mirror like with graininess , or have artifacts. Some channels look glassy and grainy at the same time. Also the people on all my channels (HD excluded) were short wide and squatty.

My TV is the Mitsubishi WS=65313. (65in wide screen) It looks like I fixed the squatty wide people because I pulled out the cords on the back of my TV that were in the composite holes and put the cord in the DVI holes. That helped.

But what is up with the picture on all standard channels? Is anyone else having this problem? And can you help me or direct me to some help? I am sick about this. Why am I paying for all these channels if they are going to look like this? The DVR was just switched out today and I am already disillusioned. This can not be normal. I can not believe that everyone has been watching their tv's like this and putting up with it. If I had the cash I would buy the HD TiVo, in a sec. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I would so appreciate any help or feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance
post #69 of 142 Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 PM

I currently have had the comcast motorola dct3416. Recently In the evenings some of my channels get a bunch of static ( looks like jumbled bars). I called comcast and they told me to unplug my box for 30 sec and plug it back in. They also "repushed" the signal at the same time. All 14 of the programs I had recorded onto my dvr got erased when I plugged it back in. It should save programs to the harddrive like my tivo did and still save programs when the power goes out, correct? just not the buffer. Well comcast agreed with me but couldn't explain how my programs got erased. They say I could have bandwith issue. (sounds logical to me) My channels are crystal clear in the mornings, but not in the evening. Has anyone else ever run into these problems? Should I also request a new box? I use a HDMI connection with a sony kds60a2020 rear projection. Also have tried components but still have the same picture issues. I haven't had any problems for the first 2 weeks I had this setup. Just now. I would hate to spend $800 on a series 3 Tivo. But I never had any issues like this with my series 2 Tivo.
post #70 of 142 Old 05-27-2007, 11:22 PM

I have a question I think might be related to this. I've had my box for a few weeks, since the beginning of may, and I had set to record a bunch of shows. I went to watch them, and there's no picture or sound being played. When i go to "My Recordings", everything is listed, but nothing will play. I try to fastforward, rewind, nothing works. I've noticed everyone else posting their setups, mine is a moto dct-3416 cable box going to a hannspree 32 xv via HDMI. the rest of the features of the box work perfectly, it's just the dvr part that doesn't work so well.
post #71 of 142 Old 05-28-2007, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Does anybody else experience a LOT of audio dropouts with the moto 3416? I usually just hit the quick rewind button or power on/off and it comes back, but at one point the audio dropped out 5 times within 5 minutes. Any suggestions?

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #72 of 142 Old 05-28-2007, 03:49 AM

The only time I experience sound drop-outs is when I rewind after fast-forwarding.
post #73 of 142 Old 06-04-2007, 11:11 AM

I have a DCT3416 that beeps very randomly while turned on. It can beep twice in a minute and then not beep again for another 2 hours... or it will beep every ~10 minutes for 30-40 minutes. Like I said, very random.

It probably means something is wrong with it, but is there anything I can do with it short of getting an exchange? (BTW, this is a Comcast box)

techfuzz
post #74 of 142 Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 AM

I just picked up my 3416 yesterday, I upgraded from the digital starter package to the digital preferred package to get the extra HD channels. Setup was easy, called Comcast to activate and now all I'm getting are the basic cable channels (2-22), the unencrypted QAM channels and the music channels. This is the exact same thing that happened when I switched from analog to the digital starter package. I called Comcast again and they reset the box again and they are able to "see" it. A tech is not able to come for 5 days, does anyone have any ideas? The last time this happened the visiting tech fixed it in 2 minutes
post #75 of 142 Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 AM

I noticed an issue when trying to hook up hdmi to my mitsubishi WD-57831 i was getting a blue screen as if i was getting no input from the cable box. I had also an optical audio cable plugging in with it connected into nothing at that moment. I ended up unplugging the optical audio cable and ending up getting a video signal go figure.
post #76 of 142 Old 06-26-2007, 05:10 AM

when i access menu, i get user settings status. however, when i go to that sub menu, the left and right arrow keys just take me from the sub menu to the main menu. the up and down keys do not work. result: all i can do is look in frustration at the setting, which are incorrect. i am unable to change them.
the motorola users manual says the up/down and left/right keys allow changes to the settings. (i have a 2nd motrola hd box w/out dvr. it has the same menu features and same problem.)
called comcast 3 times and went through 4 people who knew nothing and then they cut me off.
read that with connection via hdmi, hitting restore default settings should allow tv to communicate with cable box to accurately set everything. (don't know if this is true.) however, the restore default settings options does not even appear in the menu as shown in the users manual. is there such a menu option? does it work with hdmi as described?
thanks!
p.s. called for comcast tech to come out but know from experience that that is a crap shoot. all depends on the tech. each one seems to have different info and attempts different "fixes".
post #77 of 142 Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 AM

It should be noted that the CSRs are not supposed to help customers mess with the settings screens. They're supposed to refer the issue to a tech, who typically will adjust these settings on-site.
post #78 of 142 Old 06-26-2007, 05:36 AM

fyi -did speak to 3 different techs after csr transferred my calls to that dept. was then cut off.
sent an email to comcast to request tech appt.
post #79 of 142 Old 06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

There you go. With the tech on-site, your issue should be resolved. That's all you need to do next time. :up:
post #80 of 142 Old 07-08-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody experienced an issue with their DVR no longer functioning? I have the Motorola 3416 and this morning I could no longer watch any recorded programs. I can still watch cable, but when I select the recorded program to watch the tv screen just goes blank and the status bar indicates it's just stuck at 0:00 minutes out of 30:00.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #81 of 142 Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM

I have had two DCT3416-I DVRs from Comcast that both have on random occasion refused to display a two hour recording after approx 27 minutes. It seems to only happen on important recordings like tonight (The AllStar Game) and on some OnDemand movies. I can see the full green duration bar showing I have a successful 2:01 (two hour and one minute) recording but I cannot get past a "black hole" at approx 27 minutes in. The screen goes black. Any buttons pressed yield a call Comcast and report a NPLY (no play???) error. The only way I can get control back short of a full reboot is to go to my Guide and change to a live channel (trying to view another recording only continues the NPLY error.) After this "tricK" I could View from beginning and see the first 27 minutes of the game again and exactly at the same point Wham! (same black screen and NPLY issue). I took the unit into Comcast and got another one and the very same issue. Any ideas. I hear there is a new DVR model that should be released any day now. Does anyone have the new one yet?

DeShark
PC Consultant
post #82 of 142 Old 07-12-2007, 04:02 AM

That's happened to me twice over the last year.

I've found no explanation for the gaff. There is no reason to believe that the new boxes (the DCH series) will not exhibit it as well, since as far as we know, the cause was never determined, and therefore not fixed in the design of the DCH.
post #83 of 142 Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 PM

I just got the new model Comcast DVR. So far so good. Software is identical. Box is better looking. Performance is similar. Same remote.

We were unable to get On Demand and tried swapping boxes. It didn't help, but we got the new box anyway. The On Demand problem was that it only worked once in a great while. The coax line tested fine with no noise and plenty of signal. The solution was to run a new coax line with a better grade of coax.

Curtis

Curtis
post #84 of 142 Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Has anybody experienced an issue with their DVR no longer functioning? I have the Motorola 3416 and this morning I could no longer watch any recorded programs. I can still watch cable, but when I select the recorded program to watch the tv screen just goes blank and the status bar indicates it's just stuck at 0:00 minutes out of 30:00.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Brandon

I had that happen to me about a week ago. It wouldn't even let me play a program I had just finished recording, although it seemed like scheduled recordings were being saved fine.

I wanted to try the complete reset of the box and wipe the disk, as has been mentioned in the 64xx series Wiki, but it wouldn't work on my 3416. Probably a good thing, as I just did the unplug-replug thing and after the program guide got rebuilt all the recorded programs were still there and played back fine.

I was having some poor quality signal, and maybe that was getting the machine into some jammed-up state. I replaced some splitters and low-quality cable to boost the signal level, and it's been working more smoothly since.
post #85 of 142 Old 07-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Cheap splitters or even couplings can cause problems, especially with On Demand. Comcast is using a high grade of coax now that may exceed the abilities of the coax originally installed in your house. They are pretty generous with coax, fittings, cables and even HDMI cable if you need it.

Curtis

Curtis
post #86 of 142 Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody here watch Pardon The Interruption on ESPN? For two days straight now I've had some horrible artifacting appear on ESPN and only ESPN (not even ESPN2) when PTI starts. It's not just some simple macroblocking, it's like an entire screen of artifacts that manifest themselves as big squares on screen so that you can barely make out faces and nothing on screen is legible.

This also happened just two days after my 3416 DVR suddenly powered off and then on again on it's own, and when it powered back on I just happened to notice that the ENTIRE hard drive was wiped clean.

Anybody else experienced these types of things recently or in the past?

Brandon

Brandon 

post #87 of 142 Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 AM

i have the same comcast box. there's a series on there that i dont want to loose and i was wondering how i would get it off of the hard drive?

i have it networked in using the ethernet port but i cannot seem to get into it so i can pull the shows off? any ideas?
post #88 of 142 Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM

When I need to store timeshifted programming, I use my laptop's tuner connected to the S-video output of the box. I play the program just as I'm going to bed, and the next morning I've got a downconverted copy of the program on my laptop hard drive.
post #89 of 142 Old 08-19-2007, 09:08 AM

I live in Chicago. I have a BRAND NEW Samsung 46″ LCD (4661F). I also have a BRAND NEW Samsung Home Theater System (HT-TXQ120).

I had Comcast install an HD-DVR box. I receive a green screen when I try to use my Home Theater system in conjunction with using the cable box.

Glad that I found this site, to ensure that its not my Home Theater System or the way I connected it that is the problem.

My firmware is 16.20 and it did not work. Comcast then installed a box with Firmware 18.21 and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. The box is Motorola DCH3416.
post #90 of 142 Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 PM

I have Comcast cable and just installed a Motorola DCT3416 I. I noticed on the Motorola web sight that they say that an external SATA drive connected to the SATA port on the 3416 will allow more storage capacity. Does anyone know if this is available on the Comcast unit, or have they disabled this feature? I don't want to buy a drive just to try it out.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page