post #91 of 142 Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip.survey View Post

I live in Chicago. I have a BRAND NEW Samsung 46″ LCD (4661F). I also have a BRAND NEW Samsung Home Theater System (HT-TXQ120).

I had Comcast install an HD-DVR box. I receive a green screen when I try to use my Home Theater system in conjunction with using the cable box.

Glad that I found this site, to ensure that its not my Home Theater System or the way I connected it that is the problem.

My firmware is 16.20 and it did not work. Comcast then installed a box with Firmware 18.21 and I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. The box is Motorola DCH3416.

You may want to look into the Samsung xx61 forums for input on this issue. At the very least you'll want to check the build date on your Samsung because there is a well-known HDMI handshake issue with early production models of the 61/65 series. It can be corrected, so finding out if that is your problem would be a good first step.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 142 Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
I just got the Comcast DCT3416-I DVR Box on Friday and tried to connect to my Phillips 42" Plasma with the HDMI cable. I am not getting a picture or audio through the connction. Also when I do try to go throught the HDMI, the diplay in the front of the box goes from 1080i to 480p.

The HDMI connection worked on my last box/DVR.

Is this a box issue or something else. Thanks in advance.
post #93 of 142 Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody know if this box is the default STB given to all new subscribers? My buddy has an HDTV and it seems like if you want HDTV you have to specify it and pay an additional $6.95 charge per month. However, when I signed up for my cable service they sent me the 3416 STB by default without me specifying it (I wanted a CableCard), which means I'm just paying the regular price for a general STB.

Brandon
post #94 of 142 Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone ever successfully gotten their dch3416 green screen problem fixed ?

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #95 of 142 Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfuzz View Post

I have a DCT3416 that beeps very randomly while turned on. It can beep twice in a minute and then not beep again for another 2 hours... or it will beep every ~10 minutes for 30-40 minutes. Like I said, very random.

It probably means something is wrong with it, but is there anything I can do with it short of getting an exchange? (BTW, this is a Comcast box)

techfuzz

My DCT3416 also beeps. Did you or anyone figure out how to turn the beeping off? or did you get an exchange?
post #96 of 142 Old 10-10-2007, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anybody else having a problem with their 3416 randomly shutting off and having to redownload programming info (it seems like it's resetting itself)?

It used to happen maybe once a month, but now it's happened 3 times in 2 days. Anybody know the deal?

Brandon
post #97 of 142 Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 AM

I have had this unit from comcast for 18 months, or actually different units ,of this model. The first lasted a year, and then problems started. 6 mos ago I got a HDTV and tried to get HDMI connection to work. Never did but in the process they sent out a new box and now I have had 4 different boxes. The more they try to fix things, the worst things get.

So becareful what you do. The comcast tecs don't understand the unit and the quality of the units is getting worse. Actually I would guess it is the software upgrades cause problems.

As you can guess I have lost faith in improving the situation. I don't plan to use any service from comcast that requires a stb, only the qam channels, ofered unencripted. If you want a pvr build a HTPC or go to tivo. I have been configuring my HTPC for 3 months, now and TIVO is starting to look cheap.

Bob
post #98 of 142 Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Is anybody else having a problem with their 3416 randomly shutting off and having to redownload programming info (it seems like it's resetting itself)?

I had a problem like that a couple of years ago. It was due to an underpowered UPC, so I suspect any bad power profile will cause this. It could be something affecting your whole house, actually. The 3416 acts like a canary in a coal mine, since it is very sensitive to power fluctuation and when it resets it is very noticeable.
post #99 of 142 Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I had a problem like that a couple of years ago. It was due to an underpowered UPC, so I suspect any bad power profile will cause this. It could be something affecting your whole house, actually. The 3416 acts like a canary in a coal mine, since it is very sensitive to power fluctuation and when it resets it is very noticeable.

To your knowledge, would a power conditioner help alleviate this mess if that is what's causing the trouble?

Brandon
post #100 of 142 Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Sorry, but I don't know.
post #101 of 142 Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM

My previous DVR box from Motorola had a patch on line to convert one button to skip 30 seconds each time pushed.

I have not found that work around for this one yet.

Any hints?
post #102 of 142 Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Add 30-Second Skip

The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to the 30-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the 'A / Lock' button since many users don't need that function; you can feel both the '15-second-back' and '30-second-skip' buttons with one finger and move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the '15-second back' button, since PgDn already provides that functionality.

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2. Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3. Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
4. Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
5. Type in the code 00173.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The
"Cable" button will blink twice if successful.

Note: This does not work on boxes with the Microsoft TV Foundation Interface (currently Washington State). As of firmware version 12.22 Insight Cable disabled this feature, but has been re-enabled in firmware version 16.35. Comcast software Version 73.44 disabled this feature, but the latest software, Version 74.53-3321, re-enables it (this has been confirmed on the 3416 w/ 16.20 firmware).
post #103 of 142 Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
I too had the problem where recorded programs wouldnt play. I had the player in an enclosed area, and I noticed it was fairly warm. I removed it from the cabinet, and now the recorded programs will play. of course, it could just be the unplugging of the unit that solved the problem.
post #104 of 142 Old 11-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Cant even begin to explain my frustration. HDMI is such crap - no one seems to be able to get it right. SO anyway, here is my problem, maybe someone can assist

firmware v. 16.38

When hooked up directly to my Tv, no isssues.
When run through my reciever, I get picture and audio for about 3 or 4 seconds, then the picture goes black.

My computer is setup the same way - HDMI to the receiver and then receiver to TV over HDMI. No issues there.

None of this makes any sense since 1) i know my reciever can talk to my tv because the computer feed over HDMI works. and 2) I know the set top box and tv can talk, because when I hook them up directly there is no problem.

some how the receiver in the middle introduces a whole set of issues????

anyone have any ideas? I'm using 1.3HDMI certified cables and have tried a few different lenghts from 1.5ft to 6ft. no changes.

I'm using RCN. Anyone know if they have any other STBs that work better?
post #105 of 142 Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having similar HDCP issues with the DCH3416 unit.. i've been through 2 .. so far no luck.. i have to hit guide to eliminate a green screen every now and then.. sometimes this doesnt work and i have to pull the plug (very aggrivating)..

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

post #106 of 142 Old 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM

I have had the "green screen" problem also. Using HDMI cables. I only have the problem when I try to watch recorded material. I have found that if I change to the recorded show from an HD channel the green screen pops up most of the time. If I press the menu button it goes away and I can watch the recording. If I go from a std. channel to the recorded show it does not have the green screen problem.
post #107 of 142 Old 11-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Comcast recently swapped out my old DCT-3416 for the newer version with the rectangular data panel. Does anyone know exactly where the IR sensor is located? I am trying to place the button for my MX3000 system over the sensor, but can't see it.
post #108 of 142 Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM

a friend gave me a motorola dct3416 dvr, i have tried to set it up but it hasn't work. I am already a hd comcast cable subscriber, and i'm paying rent on a comcast hd dvr. I guess my question is can i install the second dvr or does comcast has to send some type of signal for the box to work? and if the box can be program or setup what do I need to do ? Help is greatly appreciated.
post #109 of 142 Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Comcast will generally not activate privately-owned DVRs. Instead, as per law, they offer CableCards. Unfortunately, the Motorola DCT-series does not support CableCards. (That's probably why your "friend" was so willing to "give" you one... it is basically a doorstop in the United States.)

The best use for it, assuming it isn't actually stolen, is to sell it on eBay.ca, since generally only folks in Canada can get any productive use out of the box.
post #110 of 142 Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 PM

Green screen issues…

Pioneer Elite Pro-150 60” Plasma
Harman Kardon AVR 347
Motorola DCH 3416 DVR
LG HDMI DVD
Harmony 1000 Remote

After trying to tweak this setup for 3 days, speaking with the HK guys and the Cox techs (who were all refreshingly somewhat knowledgeable) that came to my house, we all agree on ONE thing…it is the DCH 3416 cable box. And at this point there isn’t much they seem to be able to do. After upgrading my one year old HK receiver to have the ability to run HDMI as a constant with out changing inputs…looks like the cable box will once again be HDMI straight to the TV and I’ll hit the HK receiver with the optical connection for digital sound. It appears that the most current firmware available to fix the “repeater issues” has not been able to workout all the issues, hence why turning the units on and off will handshake the signal. If someone has been successful running a dch 3416 HD box through an AVR and had no issues switching from HD channels back to standard cable what firmware is installed on your box and more importantly how is the picture quality?

One solution is the Harmony Remote…at least it will turn all my components on/off and input switching with a single push of a button. But that still doesn’t make me feel better about the repeater issues and NOT having the ability to run HDMI through one receiver.

Often imitated but never duplicated.
post #111 of 142 Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi-

My question is related to the DCT3416 HD/DVR box from Comcast. I currently run HDMI directly to Plasma, which works perfectly. I am planning to go with the Bose 321 system (i know, i know....but for this room it's what I want), and want to find out the best way to utilize this.

Can I keep the HDMI to TV, being able to get high quality video, plus audio for watching normal TV, without wanting the surround sound turned on

AND

utilize the digital optical output from the cable box directly into the Bose optical input, to get the digital signal to those speakers for watching big games/movies on Comcast?

I'm afraid it's either one digital output or the other (HDMI or optical).

Thanks!
post #112 of 142 Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 AM

I've had my DCT-3416 hooked up to the television via HDMI and hooked up to my sound system via optical digital. It worked... most of the time. Some of the time, though, when FF or REW, the optical digital would loose the handshake and go silent. I'd typically have to cycle the sound system to get sound back. However, this had nothing to do with the HDMI being connected; the same problem would happen when I had my DCT-3416 hooked up to the television via component cables. It's just an intermittent incompatibility between the DCT-3416 and my sound system.
post #113 of 142 Old 12-29-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahogunii View Post

Add 30-Second Skip

The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the "silver" remote to the 30-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the 'A / Lock' button since many users don't need that function; you can feel both the '15-second-back' and '30-second-skip' buttons with one finger and move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the '15-second back' button, since PgDn already provides that functionality.

1. Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
6. Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The

Note: This does not work on boxes with the Microsoft TV Foundation Interface (currently Washington State). As of firmware version 12.22 Insight Cable disabled this feature, but has been re-enabled in firmware version 16.35. Comcast software Version 73.44 disabled this feature, but the latest software, Version 74.53-3321, re-enables it (this has been confirmed on the 3416 w/ 16.20 firmware).

sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I just swapped my recently deceased Moxi for a DCH3416 at Time Warner LA.

The 30 second skip trick outlined in this Comcast trick worked just fine.

I am happy TW gave me the Motorola rather than the SA8300, but I think the Moxi on-screen nav is superior.

joe
post #114 of 142 Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM1 View Post

Green screen issues…

Pioneer Elite Pro-150 60” Plasma
Harman Kardon AVR 347
Motorola DCH 3416 DVR
LG HDMI DVD
Harmony 1000 Remote

After trying to tweak this setup for 3 days, speaking with the HK guys and the Cox techs (who were all refreshingly somewhat knowledgeable) that came to my house, we all agree on ONE thing…it is the DCH 3416 cable box. And at this point there isn’t much they seem to be able to do. After upgrading my one year old HK receiver to have the ability to run HDMI as a constant with out changing inputs…looks like the cable box will once again be HDMI straight to the TV and I’ll hit the HK receiver with the optical connection for digital sound. It appears that the most current firmware available to fix the “repeater issues” has not been able to workout all the issues, hence why turning the units on and off will handshake the signal. If someone has been successful running a dch 3416 HD box through an AVR and had no issues switching from HD channels back to standard cable what firmware is installed on your box and more importantly how is the picture quality?

One solution is the Harmony Remote…at least it will turn all my components on/off and input switching with a single push of a button. But that still doesn’t make me feel better about the repeater issues and NOT having the ability to run HDMI through one receiver.

I, too, have been getting green screen when I flip HD channels too fast using HDMI. In my case, it seems to be an issue that only manifests itself via HDMI. I was using component cables for over a year before freeing up my sole HDMI input recently to which I had zero problems. It's frustrating that I have to switch to a different tv input, for example, "DVD (or video2, on my tv)," and then back to my cable box input. Annoying but it is a temporary fix.
post #115 of 142 Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got my DCH 3416 today, hooked up to a Panny 32 LX-70 LCD, great picture not green at all.
post #116 of 142 Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahogunii View Post

Add 30-Second Skip

Nice! Just worked on my 3412!
post #117 of 142 Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Green screen issues ...

I have a Sony 50" Wega KDS-R50XBR1 TV with HDMI connection to Motorola PVR through Cox. Until 1/7/08, I only had the Green screen issue when turning on the TV and cycling through the inputs would "fix it" on my DCT6412 III. On that day, Cox evidently downloaded a firmware upgrade and since then the Green screen came on 3-4 seconds after normal pay. I swapped out the 6412 for a DCT3416 I but the problem remains. Firmware version is 16.36.

Does anyone have a DCT3416 I running firmware 16.36 working with a Sony KDS-R50XBR1 with HDMI? Thanks
post #118 of 142 Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 AM

I am having a problem getting sound out from the DCT3416 to my Denon 3801 AV receiver. I have the DCT hooked to my Sony LCD TV via component cables. The sound is hooked to the TV via RCA cables. I disconnected the sound cables to the TV and tried hooking the DCT3416 directly to the AV receiver using the RCA cables first, then tried optical but neither works. I get no sound. Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong?
post #119 of 142 Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Hello Im new here i have quick question maybe someone can help me. I have a Motorola DCT3416 I dvr HD box from comcast my question is does this box do 1080P? i ask the people at comcast and they don't know.

Ive looked through the settings and can't find it. Is there a newer model that does 1080p? hopefully someone can help me.

I can only reach 1080i but i want 1080p because i have a tv that does 1080p and i feel like i got that tv for nothing now.
post #120 of 142 Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If the native resolution of your TV is 1080p, then it will deinterlace 1080i from the Moto.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page