Comcast DCT3416-I DVR BOX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 142 Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where do I begin?

About 2 weeks ago, I exchanged my old digital cable box for a DVR box. They gave me the DCT3416-I. I took it home, and I was getting every single premium channel. I couldn't get OnDemand, or any local channels. I wanted to DVR things that night that were on local stations, so I called up and complained. The women claimed she was going to send a signal thru, and it would take nearly an hour. OK. Over an hour went by, I returned to the TV to find "This channel should be available shortly". I called up, and apparently there was some issue with sending the signal, and she told me I would have to get someone to come out to my house to fix it. For a week, I went without cable. No biggie, but I had hopes that I would soon enough.

This past Friday, 2 guys came out. They spent over 2 hours at my house. They climbed up about 4 poles around my neighborhood and eventually "fixed" the problem.

Before I went to work that night, I added a few things to my DVR.

I came home, and went to watch them. EVERY thing I recorded has drop outs UP THE ASS. The sound goes out, the picture freezes. This happens every few minutes. Sometimes it's long, sometimes it's short...but it's annoying as hell and either way and it's unwatchable for me. Even if I rewind it, the sound/skipping picture isn't there...it wasn't recorded. It was recorded WITH the skipping, apparently. I do have this issue while watching regular TV, but it's not nearly as bad as when i'm watching recorded stuff.

The box is a Motorola DCT3416-I.

Anyone know anything about this and/or what I should do about it? What the hell is the point of having a DVR with this annoying ****? I'd rather not have one at all. Is it supposed to be like this? What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 PM

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. I too have noticed drop-outs, occatoin freezes (where you hit every button known to man and 5 minutes later it starts catching up on all the commands), and times where MYDVR has 2 or 3 listings for teh same recording and it says it had a problem.

I've been traveling so I have not been able to call Comcast yet, but will soon.
post #3 of 142 Old 10-18-2006, 03:25 AM

Liked: 11
I have a new 3416. It took a good long time for the guide data to populate (I got it Monday morning, and it just now has a full guide, as far as I can tell), but other than that it seems to be working fine. It's recording what we want, good audio and video.

I'd much rather than a DVR than not. That's just me, though.
post #4 of 142 Old 10-18-2006, 12:18 PM

I made an account to answer your question... thats how much i felt i needed to answer

OK, On my old cable box I was getting drop outs and the likes on the digital channels, had comcast come out and they told me that the line split to many times before the box so it was having trouble getting a good signal, the tech ran two dedicated cable lines (one for the box, one for the modem) and the problem went away. Now given that the DVR box processes almost twice the information, you may have the same problem, but with the non-DVR box, it didn't affect it because it used less information. So I would either call comcast and have them run a dedicated line in for the cable (They do it cheap but are not very clean about it), or call some company that will run cable and have them do it, this will cost more, but you can have them do it in a clean and seamless fashion. Comcast just drilled two holes in my wall and ran cable, no jacks... ugly but it works well.

As for the long load time on the guide and when changing channels, same thing, not only are you streaming the content, but information about picture format for HD, captions in a variety of languages, and writing info to the hard drive rather than either ram of flash.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, at least in SE Michigan, the dual tuner DVR boxes have only been out for a month, there still newish so there is going to be problems with them like any newer tech.

I got my box yesterday, hooked it up and immediately called comcast to complain, the tech explained it all to me and I am willing to live with the draw backs in exchange for Digital audio (Desperate Housewives in 5.1 ), DVR, and HD content.
post #5 of 142 Old 11-01-2006, 06:40 AM

I've had this same box since Friday and have had a few issues already.

The problems started where I would try to swap channels and it would not swap. It would then lock up and I would have to turn it off and back on.

I would then try to access the DVR - I could see everything, but when I went to play something it just locked up. Again, I could turn it off and on and things would work again (although with the same two problems above).

I called them up and they had me pull the power cord, wait for at least 30 seconds, plug it back in, and start it up again. This fixed all the problems (it takes about 1 minute for it to do a few things before it was good to go - like adjusting the clock...). They said I should not have to do this often and if I did it was a problem with the box.

This resets all the guide information. They told me in the first 45 minutes it should update the first 3 hours of guide content, and then over the next 24 hours it should finish the rest.

They also told me they know people are having issues with the remote controls and might be doing a re-call on them...
post #6 of 142 Old 11-03-2006, 04:27 AM

Is anyone else in the North of Boston area? I've had this 3416 for a couple of weeks now, and it seems to have To Be Announced listed in the program guide more often than my old 3412 did. Program Guide data seems to "come and go" over time, even though I have the 3416 on a UPS. For example, 11/10 8PM I have Vanished set for a series recording, but it is now showing "To Be Announced" as the program. It shows it as a series recording, so it clearly knew it was Vanished at some point, but it seems to have lost that data.

Does anyone else have this problem?
post #7 of 142 Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

I've had this 3416 for a couple of weeks now, and it seems to have To Be Announced listed in the program guide...

I'm in Indiana and have found when I unplug it, it takes hours to fill up the program guide.

Last night, mine somehow froze the image (of a local politician in a campaign ad) when I turned it off after the news. When I turned it back on an hour later, every digital channel had this image on it although the audio was ok. The analog channels were just garbage. Turning it on and off didn't help.

Today at work, someone suggested unplugging the unit and when I did, it came back up and everything was ok (except the program guide was empty.) Is having to kill the power completely a common occurrence? I've only had digital cable and the DVR about 3 weeks.
post #8 of 142 Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 AM

I've never had it freeze up like that.

And I never kill the power -- it's on a UPS specifically to protect the Program Guide information, yet it does seem that some of that information doesn't make it into the guide until a few days prior.

Bummer. I thought someone might have had a way to resolve it, short of playing roulette.
post #9 of 142 Old 01-08-2007, 06:22 AM

Running the 3416 on this end. Comcast in Concord, NH. and so far so good. Just trying to get it to play with GBPVR now.
post #10 of 142 Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 AM

You need to use two way spliters
post #11 of 142 Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastroserio View Post

You need to use two way spliters

What do you mean?
post #12 of 142 Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 PM

These boxes, being new, are being constantly updated. Motorola is releasing new firmware for the units continually. I've had my box for awhile now and after my current firmware push it has worked flawlessly. I do have a dedicated line running off the main feed line directly to my residence for my DVR and another for my HSI. The boxes(and the quality and services they provide) require A LOT of bandwidth, so keep that in mind. If you have multiple splitters/outlets and long cable runs this can be the source of your issues regarding freezing and/or slow response to keyed input.
post #13 of 142 Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 PM

I just got a dct3416i installed this week. I am using the hdmi port to a JVC RX-702B A/V Receiver and then out to the TV. It is working okay so far. The JVC has 2 hdmi inputs, but only one would work (DVD/DVR). The screen turns green for a few seconds when changing channels and it does not do that when connect directly from the motorola box to the TV.

I have firmware version 16.20 from comcast. Sometimes I get the copy protection screen and have turn the tv and receiver off and on again until it just starts to work.

That is all I have so far.

Comcast Motorla DCT3416
JVC RX-D702B AV Receiver
KEF Fivetwo Model 7 surround speakers

HDMI connections for video
post #14 of 142 Old 01-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Hi -

I'm seeing same with DCT3416-I and my new Denon A/V receiver, it only works when connected directly to plasma screen. HDMI pass-through via the Denon A/V receiver yields a brief warning about HDCP compatibility, then the green screen.

Based on a blog I found and Denon website (I'm new, can't post the URLs), it appears:
  • There is a known issue with HDCP protocol compatibility with Motorola HD set tops (in support of this; my HDCP-compliant DVD player has no problems with HDMI passthrough via the Denon)
  • Motorola fixed this in version 12.25 of the firmware that many of their HD set tops use in June 2006
  • Comcast, who provides my HD service and set top, is mum on both problem and fix
  • I can't seem to find firmware or DIY steps on web

If anyone in thread has experience with and access to 12.35 firmware upgrade, that would be forward progress.

From the Denon product website:

Why won't the set top box pass video signal through my receiver with an HDMI connection?

A set top receiver connected to an A/V receiver via HDMI may have trouble passing video signals through the A/V receiver even though a direct connection to the display seems to work fine. This has to do with the HDMI HDCP protocol being sent and received and the authentication process. This is not a fault of the receiver. Recently set top box manufacturers have become aware of this issue. It has been found that the U-code information appears to be the problem which is part of Annex A of the repeater conformity specifications of the HDMI protocol. Some set top receiver manufacturers have already implemented firmware changes to their units while others are in the process of updating their units. If a set top receiver being used is having problems passing HDMI video signal through an A/V receiver, contact the manufacturer of the set top receiver to see if an update is available.

post #15 of 142 Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Can you get comcast firmware 16.20 on your box? That is what I have on mine.
I have some problems the green/blue hdcp screen, but it I turn my tv and receiver off and back on (sometimes 2 or 3 times) it will finally allow the pass thru to work.

If comcast thinks this issue is fixed, then they should think again...

Comcast Motorla DCT3416
JVC RX-D702B AV Receiver
KEF Fivetwo Model 7 surround speakers

HDMI connections for video
post #16 of 142 Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

I'm in Indiana and have found when I unplug it, it takes hours to fill up the program guide.

Last night, mine somehow froze the image (of a local politician in a campaign ad) when I turned it off after the news. When I turned it back on an hour later, every digital channel had this image on it although the audio was ok. The analog channels were just garbage. Turning it on and off didn't help.

Today at work, someone suggested unplugging the unit and when I did, it came back up and everything was ok (except the program guide was empty.) Is having to kill the power completely a common occurrence? I've only had digital cable and the DVR about 3 weeks.

I have two 3416s and I have to cold boot them about once a night on the average - fixes all sorts of problems I've had with these boxes. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
post #17 of 142 Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM

I'm trying to figure how to just to post a question,anyway my question is I used to have a dct 6412 from comast which was replaced with a dct 3416 and have had a big drop off in picture quality both in hi def and regular digital.
I have a sony 42 plazma which was great till now. I'm getting motion shadows in HD and general focus problems.
The old 6412 had a dvi connection to an hdmi , the 3416 is hdmi so I bought an adapter for the dvi end, is this effecting my signal?
Thanks
post #18 of 142 Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 AM

Sounds like bad connections. PQ with my 3416 is just as excellent as it was with my 3412 before it, and my 6412 before that.
post #19 of 142 Old 02-06-2007, 04:32 AM

I'm a Comcast NJ subscriber and work in broadcasting (AM FM TV). We switched to Comcast digital in 2005 and upgraded to DVR in October 2006. Our prior Mot box was swapped for the Mot DCT3416-I, which is HDMI. No problems at all until yesterday. The box flashes briefly and about every 8 seconds 'dUl'. Posters in this form hint that 'dUl' may be the 'dVI'. In any event, here's what happens now:

Power 'on' the 3416
HD pic appears on the HD LCD TV for about 3 seconds, then screen turns green, audio continues.
If the program source is HD, the green screen is 16:9 and fills the screen
If the program source is DD or not 16:9, the green screen is sized appropriately.

We know it's not an HD TV problem. The HDMI input-1 cable works just dandy if it's moved to our HDMI DVD player.

Comcast does not admit to a firmware or software 'push'.

Comcast claims not to have any info on this 'dUl' diagnostic.

I can't find any info on the Motorola web site either.

Anyone else experience this? Any insight?
post #20 of 142 Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 AM

Problem: No audio via HDMI mode to a HP PL4260N. Does anyone know the PCM bit stream rate for the DCT3416I?
post #21 of 142 Old 02-15-2007, 04:25 PM

I have the same problem with my brand new DVR from comcast. Plug in the HDMI cable and choose the input on my 50" panny plasma and get video for a couple of secs then nothing. If you go into the setup menu and dink with the HDMI seting and change them to Y Y Y then you get a green screen after a couple of secs. Can anybody fix this? I wont even call comcast on this and suffer through the crap that they put you through so thats out unlees someone knows something spacific. everthing I read keeps coming back to this handshake problem. Is there any way to fool this handshake? Thanks all. New Here I like what I see so far Thanks Again

PS anywhere to find an operation manual?
post #22 of 142 Old 02-18-2007, 03:57 PM

This web site has a lot of information about this box. Not sure your exact problem, but see if this site helps you.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Categor...a_Motorola_DVR

AV Receiver: Yamaha HTR - 6090
HD Cable Box: Motorola DTC-3416
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS75H
HDTV: Sharp Aquos LC52D62U

Wayne
post #23 of 142 Old 02-21-2007, 12:33 PM

My 3416 is connected to my Samsung DLP via HDMI. Sometimes when I turn everything on I get a green screen. If I physcially unplug the HDMI from the box and re-plug I get a signal and it works fine. Comcast thinks its a bad HDMI cable.

This started to happen after that software update that added Comcast Central.
post #24 of 142 Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Just swapped out my old comcast box for a DTC-3416. It seems to work okay except for the constant fan noise. Does the fan ever shut off? The only way to stop the fan from running is to unplug the box. Talked to comcast and they said this is normal.
post #25 of 142 Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 AM

I have a DCT3416 and don't hear my fan at all, ever.
post #26 of 142 Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 AM

What model remote matches the DCT 3416??? Charter gave me one yesterday that doesn't match and the installer told me they are waiting for the original ones to arrive.
post #27 of 142 Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 PM

I just got the DCT 3416 yesterday. Should I program the "All On/OFF" botton on the remote to turn the DVR off every time I turn the TV off, or do I just leave it on all the time. I'm getting confliting advice on this.

Surf40
post #28 of 142 Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 PM

Leave it on all the time.
post #29 of 142 Old 03-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Sounds like bad connections. PQ with my 3416 is just as excellent as it was with my 3412 before it, and my 6412 before that.

My Dad has the 3412-I and I'm wondering what the difference is between it and the 3416-I ?

Also, does anyone knows how to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV? The cable box sends only 720p no matter which channel its on. HD, SD, it doesn't matter. when I press the info button on the TVs remote it always says the video resolution is @1280 x 720. I would like to let the TV do both the scaling and the deinterlacing but I can't figure out how to configure the 3412-I to allow the original video signal to be passed onto the TV.

Thank you for any help you guys can offer.
post #30 of 142 Old 03-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post

My Dad has the 3412-I and I'm wondering what the difference is between it and the 3416-I ?

40 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post

Also, does anyone knows how to set the cable box up so that it sends all resolutions to the TV?

That is not a feature of that DVR.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page