DVR not having much space - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have insight cable here in Columbus. We've had a problem with our DVR. It says that it can record up to 50 hours. There is only maybe 8 hours worth of shows on the DVR right now, and it says 16% full, but all of a sudden it goes to 100% full, and then says it won't record a program i've got it set to record. I go a delete a 30 minute program and it's back to 15% and then can record. It was doing this when it was at like 35% last week, now it'd doing it with only a few shows on there. We've only had the DVR for a few weeks. I don't have HD, so that taking up space isn't the problem. Anybody else ever had this problem or know what's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-19-2006, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11
What is the model number of the DVR?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2006, 06:27 PM

Hi JonathanXC,

I'm an Insight Digital customer in Illinois and have had the exact same problem. My model is the Motorola HD DVR model DCT6412. I'm getting the same message on my screen that my DVR is 100% full when there is absolutely no way that it is. In fact, 5 minutes before my favorite show is about to be recorded, I'll look to make sure there is enough room to record. Hmm...45% full...good to go. WRONG! 5 minutes later when the show has begun, the message will pop up saying it's 100% full. I called up Insight. They said this is a known issue with many of our customers. They told me there are two solutions, both of which, in my mind, are not ideal AT ALL. The first suggestion from them is to reboot the box by physically unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds and then plugging it back in. Then, you have to wait upwards of 20 minutes - at least - for the program information to come back on-line in order for you to be able to record the show, which is now half over. What happens when you're away from home or not able to watch it at that time - the major purpose of a DVR, I thought!?!?! Their second solution is to delete something that you have recorded. Well, what if I haven't watched any of the programs I have recorded or if it is something I want to save or burn to DVD? And again, what do you do if you are away from home!?!?! I called up Insight again to see if there were any fixes in the works. They said that the firmware is where this glitch is and there are no plans to upgrade the firmware to fix this issue because Motorola is coming out with a new box and they (Motorola) weren't putting any resources into upgrading the firmware. :confused: So, I called Motorola to try to get to the bottom of this and see if Insight's claim was true. What they told me was that the firmware that they provide in the DVR to Insight is not serviced/troubleshooted by them and I would have to go through Insight to resolve my issue. :mad: They did say, however, that they are constantly upgrading their firmware and providing it to the cable companies, but the service/troubleshooting aspect of it was with the cable companies. So, I guess Insight either doesn't know what their talking about, or they aren't planning on doing any upgrades until the new Motorola DVR comes out, or their planning on dumping the Motorola DVR all together. What do we do in the meantime? :( I did have Motorola file the problem in their database so they're at least aware of it. I've also seen it addressed at wikibooks. Use Motorola DVR in the search feature.

My question - similar to yours - Has anyone else had this problem and contacted Insight/Comcast/Cox, etc.? If so, have they given you a less intrusive (for lack of a better word) fix or let you know when the firmware may be upgraded that resolves this issue? Or, have they given you the same excuse they gave me?
EDIT: the firmware is version 16.20
Thanks,
Shermy0
post #4 of 5 Old 12-01-2006, 05:38 AM

I am with Comcast in Jacksonville Florida and I have a Motorola Hd DVR DCT-3412 that is having the same problem. I have to delete something and even then it will not record unless I turn the box off and then back on again. Seems to happen every Thursday evening. I have several shows scheduled to record one right after another, but last night I had cancelled all recordings and was only going to record one show at 10PM. I was down to below 30% full and then all of a sudden at 9:58PM I got the message telling me the DVR was full.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2006, 05:56 AM

I have Insight in N. Kentucky. The very first Motorola box (DCT6412) I had was having the same problem and I ended up calling Insight. They said it's a common problem. They swapped out my box (same model) and that fixed the problem for a while...then it started happening again. They updated the box through the line and I haven't had a problem since. This was probably a little more than a year ago.

The crazy thing was that the first box was brand new and the one I'm currently using is quite obviously used. *shrug*
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page