Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Quick question:

I have an Explorer 8300HD with SARA (Knology, North Alabama). I also have a Denon 4306 which supports three HDMI in and one HDMI out. I would like to run both my 8300HD and my DVD through the receiver and from there to the TV.

When I attempted this about a year ago, no video signal would display on the TV, but sound was heard via the receiver. IE, sound but not picture.

Upon extensive investigation, I was informed that there was a needed firmware update to take the HDCP version up to 1.1. IE, there was a compatibility difference between my Denon (it requires HDCP 1.1) and the 8300HD. I crawled behind my stand and rewired direct to TV.

I logged a problem with Knology and finally got a supervisor to 'take it up the chain' where I was assured the software version I needed was being evaluated and would be pushed out 'withing a month or two'. I therefore kept the $2K receiver and let my 30 day return window expire. That was LAST YEAR.

There are various reasons why I would prefer to run it through my receiver. However, I don't really want to crawl back there and rewire only to find out that it still hasn't been fixed.

I have spent multiple calls and hours trying to get Knology CSRs to even understand the issue. Getting an actual answer is impossible. I have had a few technicians and supervisors leave poor messages on my voicemail and no return name or number (other than first name). UGH.

Anyway, before I try again, I thought I would post this and see if anyone knows what I should be looking for in the SARA diag screens that might let me know if that particular module has been updated.

Thanks, cc to chandler REPLACE hall @ gmail REPLACE com would be nice (REPLACE = .)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 PM

Verified with our corporate office today, and our 8300HD converters use HDCP 1.1. Hope that helps.

-g
Old 11-09-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it did give me the motivation to get back there and re-wire everything. Unfortunately, NO PICTURE STILL.
STB -> HDMI cable -> Receiver (HDMI3 input) -> HDMI cable -> TV (Physical setup)
Receiver setup screen and assigned HDMI3 to "TV Source".
sound works just fine. No picture.

Either there is a major compatibility issue between this Denon & the 8300HD OR knology still hasn't pushed out the HDCP1.1 code to our STBs.

Mr gcrawford...would you like to come over and help me puzzle through this? :-) I'll have beer on hand... :-)
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 AM

Hopefully I didn't jump the gun...or pass on jumped information. My corporate guy called me back yesterday and said that it may be HDCP 1.0. He's got a call in with S/A about it, and I'm waiting for a return call.

I am VERY interested in getting this problem resolved, as you are not the only subscriber we have that needs to use an HDMI switch of some sort. I would rather not use HDCP at all, but I don't have control over that.

I'll post when I hear something.

-g
Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU. May I ask that you also send me a cc to my gmail account? I suspect time may go by b4 we see progress. GOOD LUCK. I'm with you, damn DRM/HDCP crap. :-)

chandler PERIOD hall ATSIGN gmail PERIOD com , if you remember. THANKS!!!!

(So nice to see someone run with this as I have been poking at it periodically for almost a year now.)
--Chandler