Out of the Loop = Really Confused. HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK... I have a feeling this information is probably discussed somewhere in the past but I don't have much time anymore to search through a bunch of threads. My apologies.

I am looking to finally upgrade my DTV to HD. I currently have SD Directv Tivo. I was browsing the Directv site and it appears that the new DTV HD DVR will not be supported by Tivo. Is this true?

I really love my Tivo and am not sure if I will want to part with it. Would it be a viable option to upgrade my Directv to HD and then buy an HD Tivo box seperately and sign up Tivo service? Will this even work?

Sorry again if these are simple questions. I do really appreciate any information you can provide to enlighten me a bit on this whole thing.

Cuban.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Liked: 11
The HD TiVo will not work with satellite service. This was a deliberate decision on the part of the satellite providers. TiVo had no choice in the matter.

The HD TiVo will work with cable, and with OTA. Do beware though -- a small but significant number of us were utterly unable to get it to work with digital cable, despite remarkable amount of effort.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

If you guys were unable to get it to work, then I know have no chance in hell to do so. So what are my best options.

Having had cable in the past, i really prefer Directv. Is there any information on the Directv DVR programming options?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2006, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't align any technical capability with the problems people had. I suspect that the problem was just lack of robustness in the design, so a certain percentage of circumstances simply won't work, no matter what, while the vast majority will work, with comparatively little effort or technical know-how applied. So my recommendation is to buy the TiVo Series 3, being sure to pave the way for your merchandise return. (Make sure that you have a money-back guarantee that covers not being able to get it to work well-enough, that there isn't a restocking fee, that it won't cost you a lot in shipping to return it, etc. and make sure that you're prepared to return it if you cannot get it to work in the alloted time before your money-back guarantee runs out.)

I cannot help you with DirecTV. All the options available are available through DirecTV only -- they have closed their systems to independent consumer electronics.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks bicker1.

This really sucks. It sounds like I have to decide between Tivo and Cable or DirecTV and their DVR system.

Anyone know anything about their programming guide and capabilities of their new HD DVR?

post #6 of 7 Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM

If you go the cable with Tivo route, make sure your cable provider can supply the cable cards a series 3 needs to receive HD broadcasts.

I personally game my series 2 Tivo to my kids and went with the PVR my cable company provides. It has only 20 hours of HD recording and a crap (compared with Tivo) interface, but I wouldn't trade my HD recording capablility for all the Tivo's in China :D
post #7 of 7 Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Keep in mind that the big six cable operators are required to provide CableCards for all CableLabs-certified consumer electronics (and the TiVo Series 3 is indeed CableLabs-certified).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page