8300HD DVR External Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just added a Seagate 320GB External SATA Drive to my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR to increase storage space. Now the "pause and rewind live tv" functionality is not working properly. It used to be that when the 8300HD DVR was tuned to a channel and you pressed the "Info" button on the remote, you saw a green "time line" of the show's recording allowing you to rewind or pause the show. Since the addition of the External Hard Drive, this does not work. Any suggestions?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 11:13 PM

Just added an external SATA drive to my 8300HD (Time Warner cable) and -- the exact same thing happened to me. I see that you're in Pewaukee -- I'm in New Berlin. Have you solved this problem yet? Thanks.

JK27
Old 09-28-2007, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Operations, I just ordered the same Seagate for my 8300 HDDVR. Please let us know if you have resolved this issue and if you have any others. My cable provider, Brighthouse Networks, hasn't been very helpful and even told me that the "feature" presumably enabling the connection of an external ESATA drive hasn't been "activated". I think they're full of it and likely are planning to offer their own drives to customers at some point in the future for an additional fee. A tech at Scientific Atlanta said that you simply needed to connect a drive to the set top box.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Update. Apparently, Brighthouse customers can connect an external SATA to the 8300:

> From: x@mybrighthouse.com
> To: marcuslaw
> Subject: Re: Web Customer Contact - General Inquiry <<#x#>>
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:21:02 +0000
>
> Hi Anthony
> Here is some information regarding external hard drive.
>
> Helpful hints to Maximize DVR Storage Space
> The DVR is not intented as a long-term storage device. Make the most efficient use of your storage space by following these guidelines:
>
> · Change Save Time. Set your default Save Time setting to 14 days or less. Setting it to "Until I Erase" causes the storage space to fill up more quickly. (To adjust Save Time: Select List>B for Preferences and then select "Change Save Time for future recordings.")
>
> · Copy to VCR. After you watch a recording, decide to either erase it or keep it permanently by transferring it to a VCR tape. To record to a VCR tape, select the program to be copied, select "Copy to VCR". Make sure to connect RCA cables from the DVR Output (OUT2VCR) and connect to the inputs on the VCR. Select record on the VCR, then on the DVR select the A to Start Copy. This will play back the DVR recording on the 2nd tuner so that live programming is still available to view during the recording time.
>
> · Auto Erase. This feature automatically erases the oldest recordings whenever additional space is needed to record a new program. However, this feature does not erase programs that have a save time of "Until I Erase". These recordings remain until you decide to erase them. (To activate this feature Select List > Select B for Preferences and then select "Turn ON Auto Erase.)
>
> · External Hard Drive. For more advanced storage solutions, some DVR models (SA 8300 and SA 8300HD) can be connected to an external Serial ATA (SATA) hard disk drive for expanded recording capability. Serial ATA hard disk drives are currently not provided by Bright House Networks, however customers may purchase them directly from the manufacturer or other vendor. Customers interested in this option should be directed to www.scientificatlanta.com for more informationbefore purchasing any equipment.
>
> · Monitor Current Recording Space. Customers can check their "Recording Space Used", by selecting List > B for Preferences and then selecting Recording Space Used. Keep Current Recording Space at a safe level to ensure that future recordings to not cause the hard drive to become completely full.
>
> Thank you for being a Bright House customer. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any additional inquiries you may have. Have a great day!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Update. In the next series of e-mails, a Brighthouse employee tells me to try the drive and call them if it doesn't work.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM

FYI, SA 8300 HDS
This note concerns Time warner cable in Racine, WI. I recently got a new HD TV and then upgraded to digital HD TV service. Once I learned how to use the DVR function I enjoyed it and started recording some of my favorite shows. It didn't take long before the 160 GB internal hard drive filled up and started bumping off shows to make room for new. I initially went to BB and bought an Iom 500 GB sata drive which I was told would work but didn't. T/W was of no help, both at local office or over the phone, even though the manual that comes with the box they provide says to contact your local Cable Supplier for approved HD's.
I online chatted with Iom. service and they confirmed BB had sold me the wrong drive. Iom online service was great. I went back to BB and exchanged for a WD 500 GB model Model: WDG1S5000 designed for DVR expanded memory. (indicates compatability to SA 8300 series on side of box)
I followed connection directions and clicked yes for a re-format process. My % usage went from 90% to 21% and I am now a happy camper.
I'm very disappointed in the customer service of TWC and am considering switching to DISH. If I do that I will ensure that I install a cover or heater on the dish because heavy snows can block signals for days when allowed to build up and ice up.
I hope this note helps others avoid a few days of aggravation that I had to go through.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Hmm this problem sounds familliar.... is it only with seagate drives, or just anydrive over the supported size?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Thanks for the posts from fellow Wisconsinites! I am heading out today to get an external HD for the TWC 8300HD, Milwaukee area service. Would you recommend getting an WD or something else? I have another USB 2.0 WD drive that works well.
I appreciate any responses.
Thanks,
Pat