post #31 of 34 Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve125 View Post

The sucess of this product is really going to come down to it's price. I don't see many consumers in this space willing or able to put down $500 or more for the product. That's why the others have failed.

That's like saying "them fancy horseless carriages are nice and all, but they cost too damned much" - sorry, but they have to charge a price congruent with what it costs to purchase and assemble the parts, write and/or license the software, and make it available, while being able to make some sort of a profit. I think if they manage to make it available for $399, you should consider yourself fortunate, and I doubt they'll be making much, if any profit at that sort of price. High definition gear isn't cheap. It costs to make equipment that can handle the bitrates necessary to record HD video, not to mention recording 2 HD streams while watching a third, and providing the feature set people are going to expect.

Sorry, but I've seen enough posts about "OMG if the TR50 isn't $299 or under I won't buy it". There's a reason almost no one is making standalone DVRs, and pretty much every previous entrant has failed *miserably* to make a dent. Consumer electronics vendors have discovered what cheap bastards Americans are, so their latest tech doesn't show up here, because no one will buy it, moaning about the cost. Even TiVo is selling its DVRs well below what the device costs to make, making it up (ideally) on the service subscription - and there's not going to be any of that with the TR50, since the guide data service will be free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

That's like saying "them fancy horseless carriages are nice and all, but they cost too damned much" -

Consumer electronics vendors have discovered what cheap bastards Americans are, so their latest tech doesn't show up here, because no one will buy it, moaning about the cost.

I would say the automobile added a bit more productivity to society then DVR's do.

American's are not so much cheap as they are vicitims of behavioral finance. Enjoy now and pay later. Give them the nice shinny box free today and then nickle and dime for years. right? Most people pay for channels they don't even watch or know that they have for that matter.

Take the $1,700 you pay per year for cable and put it into your IRA, switch to free OTA DTV and enjoy a few hundred grand more in retirement. (Provided your in your early 30's now)

Stop looking at the picture and watch the show!
post #33 of 34 Old 09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I would say the automobile added a bit more productivity to society then DVR's do.

Agreed, but my point is, they cost a certain amount to make - complaining about how they're trying to screw you, when if you look at what it costs to make the product in question, they're just trying to make a reasonable profit (i.e., not sell them for less than they cost to produce), is just ridiculous.

Quote:

American's are not so much cheap as they are vicitims of behavioral finance. Enjoy now and pay later. Give them the nice shinny box free today and then nickle and dime for years. right?

Yes, but that's usually because they *think* they're saving money by paying month in and month out to lease something, without actually doing the math and discovering that a one time payment really is cheaper.

Quote:

Most people pay for channels they don't even watch or know that they have for that matter.

That's another matter entirely, though. Until we can get a-la-carte selection of channels, it's always going to be that way. And unfortunately the content providers like it that way, as the more popular channels can be used to funnel money to the less popular ones by linking the acceptance of one channel to that of another.
post #34 of 34 Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not initially, they weren't.

Quote:

American's are not so much cheap as they are vicitims of behavioral finance.

With respect, that's a rationalization.

Quote:

Take the $1,700 you pay per year for cable and put it into your IRA, switch to free OTA DTV and enjoy a few hundred grand more in retirement. (Provided your in your early 30's now)

Good idea, for those who aren't satisifed with what they're offered.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page