Can't record more than 5 hours ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2006, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a DCT6416 III and can't get more than 5 to 6 hours of recording time on it. ( not in HDTV ) Isn't this DVR 160 GB and shoudn't it hold about 60 hours. When I have 1 and 1/2 hours on it it says 5% full then I try to record a 1 hour show and it will not and tells me it is full. Is there any way to format the drive in the unit?

Thanks,

Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2006, 06:57 AM

Liked: 11
If the box is leased, your best bet is to exchange it for a working box.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM

I have similar problems with the DCT6416 III boxes from my local cable company but it usually happens around 70 or 75% full. I can try to set to record even a 1/2 hour sd program it will say the hd is full. I can go in and delete some shows so that I am down to say 65 or 70% full and it goes right back to saying the hd is full. I usually have to get it down to around 50%, losing some shows I haven't had a chance to watch, to get it to accept a recording again. This is my 4th or 5th receiver and they all have done it so I think it's a software, not hardware issue.

The reason I have gone through so many boxes is because of problems with the box being slow to respond to remote commands. The most annoying one is when fast forwarding through a commercial and it will just keep on going for 5, 10 or even 20 seconds before it will respond to the remote command. After it starts working again you can see the status bar on the bottom of the screen flashing through all of the commands I was pushing while trying to get it to stop ffwding. It will also lag when trying to skip back. Also when trying to direct access a channel with the number keys almost always has to be done at least twice because the box will miss one of the digits for the channel. For instance trying to select channel 601 it will go to 60 or 61 or 01 instead

Am I the only one with these problems? I honestly expected this forum to be full of complaints with this box not responding to remote commands. Some of the boxes I've had have been better than others but they've all done it to some degree. I'm almost to the point of going back to Dish but the price for my cable/internet/phone package is just too appealing at this time.

These are only the most annoying issues I have with the DCT6416 III, there are others as well. I'm of the opinion that this receiver was put into service before it was sufficiently tested although from reading this forum it sounds like it's been out for quite a while already.

Comments anyone?

Thanks....Barry

EDIT: I guess I didn't search long enough, it looks like I'm not the only person having problems with this box. Sat tv is looking better and better.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-14-2007, 04:49 AM

Be sure to check out the threads about all the problems people are having with the satellite company's boxes, such as HR20, before you consider satellite.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Be sure to check out the threads about all the problems people are having with the satellite company's boxes, such as HR20, before you consider satellite.

Thanks, I wouldn't argue with that. I would have to do a lot of reading before I would make that decision.

Having said that, I have had DVRs for around 10 years now starting with the old Microsoft Dishplayer and they certainly weren't without their bugs and after that had a Dish 501. Neither of those 2 had the kind of annoying bugs that this thing has. Granted, they weren't HD 2 tuner boxes but at least they would respond to remote commands. That reminds me of another thing about the Motorola.....an infra red remote??? Come on people, join the 21st century. My first Dishnetwork receivers 10 years ago had RF remotes and it's sure hard to go back to IR and having to point the remote at the box all the time.

Having read through a few pages of the main thread about these Moto boxes I see now I'm not alone in my dislike for this thing. At least Dish would send out software updates for their receivers and try to provide fixes for their problems, it doesn't seem to me that Motorola is.

Sorry for the rant

Barry
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Yes, Motorola is sending out regular updates with fixes. We used to have a problem with the series recording feature which was soonafter fixed. We also have seen a lot fewer glitches and lock-ups over time, as each update has come out.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM

IT WORKS! I got an update the other day and it cured most of my remote lag problems. s/w 74.53 3321 and f/w 16.20. Not sure what they were before but it is a lot better than before, I'd say about 90% better. Actually I've only had a problem with remote lag once since getting the update.

I also noticed multiple favorite lists now and a few other changes. Now if they could just give me a way to record a show just once a week without it also recording repeats. Sure, you can set it to only record "new" episodes but usually the guide has incorrect info as far as showing a program as "new" or as a "repeat". I realize that this isn't a receiver problem but rather a guide problem but on my Dish 501 you could set a series as "once a week" "5 times a week" or "7 days a week". That's what I'd like to see on the 6416.

Barry
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page