Any stand-alone HDTV PVRs or VCRs available near Toronto? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I simply want to timeshift midnight movies, etc. I'm strictly OTA for now, and don't feel like subscribing to a "service" just to run a glorified VCR. I have a 2nd-hand Samsung TS160 as my OTA HDTV tuner, feeding a TV with composite video (red, yellow, and white RCA cables). I'll accept a TIVO or a 2nd hand satellite/cable PVR, as long as I don't have to hack anything to get it to work without "connecting to the mothership".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Good question. I'm looking too from Kitchener. Just checked out the TS160. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Does it need to be registered with Rogers to get HD? Does caller ID work without DTV service?... Toshiba has a DVD recorder that's supposed to upscale to HDMI model D-R5, $230 at Zellers. Picked one up last night, but haven't really checked it out much. Thanks, Ron
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronklo
Good question. I'm looking too from Kitchener. Just checked out the TS160. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Does it need to be registered with Rogers to get HD?
No. It works as a standalone ATSC tuner; no hacking required. But make certain that you get the remote control that goes with it, otherwise, you lose a lot of functionality. I could not get a "universal remote" to control it. I finally ended up ordering the remote control from the US. They had to back-order it from the factory in Korea. It took almost 3 months to get here. And since it wasn't made in North America, NAFTA rules don't apply. I got hit with duty payments for customs. After all was said and done, I'm happy with it, but make sure you get the real remote-control that goes along with it.

Quote:
Does caller ID work without DTV service?...
I honestly don't know. I haven't hooked it up to the phone connection.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good question. I'm looking too from Kitchener. Just checked out the TS160. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Does it need to be registered with Rogers to get HD? Does caller ID work without DTV service?... Toshiba has a DVD recorder that's supposed to upscale to HDMI model D-R5, $230 at Zellers. Picked one up last night, but haven't really checked it out much. Thanks, Ron
I think I've found what I'm looking for. It's the "AutumnWave OnAir HDTV GT" which connects via a USB2.0 port, including getting its power. It tunes ATSC and NTSC, and records both to your PC. It's Windows-only so far, and it actually has *LESS* functionality under Windows MCE. XP Home is perfectly OK. A bog-standard integrated graphics chip is OK, but cpu-intensive. Nvidia and ATI cards' hardware features are supported by a codec included in the software CD. This results in lower CPU usage.

They actually have a Canadian ordering number 416 572 2017. It may just re-direct to their US office, but at least it's a local call for me. When they ask for a "Mobileplanet code number", they're referring to the stock number. The stock number is 140064

Because I haven't done 5 posts yet, I can't post URLs. Rather than a link, here's how to get to the official support thread on avsforum (warning over 600 posts and counting). Go to...
AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers
And the actual thread is "AutumnWave / OnAir USB HDTV Tuners"

The next post, or the one after, I should be able to post the Canadian URL for the device.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good question. I'm looking too from Kitchener.
Still can't post URLs!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good question. I'm looking too from Kitchener.
Bullwinkle> Hey Rocky, watch me pull a URL out of my hat.
Rocky> Again? You never get it right.
Bullwinkle> This time for sure.

And the Canadian URL is http://www.expansys.ca/p.aspx?i=140064

For American viewers, it's http://www.mobileplanet.com/f.aspx?i=140064

The AutumnWave official support thread is http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695589
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page