Circuit breaker trips with HR10-250 and AE900U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow did I get a surprise tonight. I've been using my HR10-250 DirecTiVo box with HDMI on a flat panel for months on end and it looks great.

Tonight I connected my new component video cable from the HR10-250 to my Panasonic PT-AE900U project. As soon as I connect any one of the three RCA connectors, I see a spark and the circuit breker trips for the entire room. As long as one of the RCA connectors remains connected, the circuit will not re-engage and turn on.

Nothing else is on and this has never happened with any other components. Fearing my cable had a short, I tried it with two different DVD players. Both worked fine.

Has anyone heard of a problem with the Hughes/DirecTV HR10-250 component video outputs sending power that could short out? Man this is not right. I'm afraid of damaging something troubleshooting this.

Is there some kind of software setting required for me to tell the DVR to use Component out instead of HDMI? I unplugged the HDMI cable at the LCD flat panel side and the projector still shorts when one of the plugs is connected. Do I need to unplg the HDMI at the DVR side as well?

Any help would be appreciated. i don't want DirecTV to replace this with their brand of DVR if this one's defective, as I want the Tivo brand DVR. I hope that's possible if this is broken, which i suspect it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, further experimentation has fried my HR10-250. I heard a pop inside and smelled the burning and I no longer think it is wise to plug this thing in. DirecTV can't guarantee me another HR10-250, they said it might end up being an HR20, which I do not want.

Since so many seem to be hapy with theirs, I'm guessing mine was just a bad build that I never knew about until I connected component cables. Damn.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As soon as I connect any one of the three RCA connectors, I see a spark and the circuit breker trips for the entire room.
The device is dangerously faulty.

Do you happen to have any ground lifts on your equipment?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

No ground lifts present but it gets worse. I went upstairs to check the 6 year old Philips DSR6000 DirecTivo with the paid lifetime subscription and added Ethernet port/cache card and it's totally fried too.

They're sending me an R15 to replace my Philips but I will lose the Tivo branded DVR.

I'm sooo close to dumping DirecTV after 15 years with them. The Tivo series 3 is enough to make me envy cable for a change. ON top of that my ISP Verizon is inundating me with FIOS ads for FIOS-TV. I already get my cell phone, land line and FIOS with them so adding TV would be simple. Trouble is I'd have to give up HD Tivo completely.

Man this sucks.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page