DCT6412 disconnected from service - help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To keep myself out of legal trouble, lets just assume the following is hypothetical...

I have a Motorola DCT6412 that I picked up at a garage sale this past summer (cheap!). Not knowing any differently, I plugged it in and it worked. It was full of recorded movies and tv shows. I deleted a bunch and noticed it worked recording new shows as well. This week while watching a show, it stopped in the middle of a show and now doesn't display any recordings. The menu features disappeared too. I went to Mediacom to inquire about DVRs today (found out I should have been paying a monthly fee for using a DVR - oops!) and they told me only equipment rented from them would work. (I chose not to tell them I had this unit). I did rent a new unit from them and paid the monthly fee hoping the old machine would work then. It still doesn't. They sent a "hit" through the line but it is done by machine serial number so my old machine wasn't reactivated.

What I really want to do is still watch the items recorded on the old machine. I had read somewhere that it wont work without a signal from the cable company. I also read references to a workaround for this but cannot find out how. I haven't played in the diagnostics yet, nor have I done a cold reset. I thought I'd ask someone more experienced first. Anyone, HELP? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 AM

Liked: 11
"Hypothetically" you're out of luck. The device is made to work on a network which knows about it. That "license" (if you will) is good for a period of time, and once it expires, if not renewed, the box becomes a paperweight.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
If I were to swap the hard drives between the units, would having the full drive on the activated unit do what I want? Or is the activation on the drive itself? If the activation is on the drive, could I pull it and copy it to the other drive to make that one work? I just want to get the recorded shows watched. Thanks.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page