New HD PVR For TWC - 2007 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's late Dec '06 and in a recent call to Time Warner Cable (Dallas) they stated that new equipement would be rolled out to me in about 6 months. They didn't have info on the box.

Curious what we can find out as time marches on and we learn if/what the box is. Especially curious about HDMI connectivity and specifications and menus/UI!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I'm not aware of any new DVRs coming out, but TWC is supposedly going to be stripping the SARA and Passport interfaces off all their DVRs nation-wide and replacing it with something awful called Mystro Navigator. From the posts i've read about it, it's a big step backwards if you currently have Passport software, but not so bad is you have SARA.

I have Passport and love it, but i won't be happy with the impending Navigator. There may be a TiVo S3 in my future . . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 PM

I have a relative that works for Time Warner Cable Columbus Ohio and while they mentioned the Navigator software upgrade to the existing boxes, they also mentioned something about a new cable box that uses CableCards coming out later in 2007. Perhaps that is the box you are referring to?

Not that I care. I just dumped my TWC SA8300HD DVR for a TiVo Series 3 with a 750GB Seagate DB35 harddrive (98 hours of HD recording time).

Even my relative at TW said they expect to get a lot of angry calls about this new Navigator software. For one thing it won't be able to show any program descriptions.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post

I have a relative that works for Time Warner Cable Columbus Ohio and while they mentioned the Navigator software upgrade to the existing boxes, they also mentioned something about a new cable box that uses CableCards coming out later in 2007. Perhaps that is the box you are referring to?

Not that I care. I just dumped my TWC SA8300HD DVR for a TiVo Series 3 with a 750GB Seagate DB35 harddrive (98 hours of HD recording time).

Even my relative at TW said they expect to get a lot of angry calls about this new Navigator software. For one thing it won't be able to show any program descriptions.

I just ordered a TiVo S3 a few days ago from Costco dot com and it should arrive before the weekend. After reading lots of threads on TivoCommunity dot com i'm really hoping the CableCard install goes well and hoping the cards continue to work properly after the tech leaves.

My plan is to turn-in two of my 3 HD DVRs, and keep the one 8300HD to supplement the TiVo S3 for the time being. If i have any issues with the CableCards or any SDV problems i'll still be able to use the soon-to-be-crippled SA8300HD to catch the important shows.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post

I confirmed with folks at TWC that their new boxes will be CableCard compliant. This is an FCC mandate. Box is Motorola - recently announced at CES. Testing underway and once software passes, then up to local areas/offices to rollout. So no firm eta but not the 1st half of the year.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Does anyone have specs on the new DVR equipment TWC is purchasing? Links?

Philips 42" LCD HDTV (model 42PF9831D/37)
Dish Network ViP722 & TWC Cisco 8640HDC
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page