Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

Sorry, the 575D (aka Vegas) is an SD only box. It can never decode HD.

The component outputs will only output a 480i signal.

Did you tell Comcast that you wanted to view HD content before they gave you the box?

Yes, I did! I do have an appt and asked for a Motorola box. We'll see what happens!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post

I am hope I'm not pusing my luck, but I took a video of the problem and I am hoping you can download it:

Got the link. Thanks.

Couple more questions to help progress the investigation:

1. What area of the country are you located in (i.e. what Comcast division serves your area)?

2. Do you know what firmware release you are using? If not, please look at the history of this thread for instructions to get into diagnostics and report the software/hardware versions.

If you answer #1, I can probably figure out #2 if necessary.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #93 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Hi there, the comcast office I got it from is located in Fremont, CA.
post #94 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Alright, I recorded a bunch of programs last night.

The programs I recorded from ch 159 which is the Fox Reality Channel FF just fine.

The programs I recorded from Ch 13 (CW network) did not FF correctly. It was exactly like the video I took. It seems to happen at random. I am sorry but I really cannot pinpoint any pattern. I have over 150 channels. Maybe in the future Comcast, hopefully, will release some updated firmware to fix this.
post #95 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright, I recorded a bunch of programs last night.

The programs I recorded from ch 159 which is the Fox Reality Channel FF just fine.

The programs I recorded from Ch 13 (CW network) did not FF correctly. It was exactly like the video I took. It seems to happen at random. I am sorry but I really cannot pinpoint any pattern. I have over 150 channels. Maybe in the future Comcast, hopefully, will release some updated firmware to fix this.

There is a pattern here, we just need to be able to recognize it.

The first thing that comes to my mind is Ch. 13 (CW) is a likely a locally encoded analog channel whereas Fox Reality Channel is a national feed.

I'd like for you to see if this problem happens on all (or some) of your locally encoded channels.

Then I'd like to you pick some national channels and see if trick functions work ok on those channels.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #96 of 309 Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM

Ok, Ill give it a try. But, why does ch 13 FF fine on the Motorola DVRs?
post #97 of 309 Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringtuckyMac View Post

I finally figured this out, at least to restrict series recordings to the same channel. However, the series functionality is still undiscerning with respect to recording shows that are repeated later on the same channel. Examples include: Daily Show, Colbert Report, Dresden Files, Battlestar Galactica, etc. I either have to manually prevent the recording of each of the duplicates, or not set up series recordings for these type of shows. I'm leaning more and more towards the latter solution.

Again...The Vegas isn't bad in light of the monthly fee, and I'm able and willing to work around these issues. I'm not sure it would pass the "Wife" test, or average user test however: My wife is already peppering me with all sorts of questions due to the user interface requiring the user to adapt to it, instead of the other way around.

Short of an expensive CableCard enabled custom MythTV box, the Vegas is suiting my needs.

SpringtuckyMac,
If you selected only record new episodes, and you selected only this channel, you should not be having this problem. I've had a Pace Vegas box since November when Comcast Colorado started testing them. I did have the same problem you did at first but have since used the 'only this channel' and 'only new' options to keep this from happening. Especially useful for shows like Battlestar and Dresden which appear twice on their respective airing nights.
post #98 of 309 Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, Ill give it a try. But, why does ch 13 FF fine on the Motorola DVRs?

Its a bug. The software and hardware is completely different in Pace and Motorola set top boxes (i.e. each will have a different set of bugs/issues). The only common element is both run TV Guide Electronic Program Guide.

Linden
post #99 of 309 Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi,
I got a new Pace DVR last month on a Comcast special promo for $1 a month for a year in Danville, Calif. (East Bay Area). It seems to work fine but several times has decided that it is 100% full with only 3 or 4 hours on it. Comcast (after giving me a 2nd box after a week) finally told me just to unplug it and it resets itself. Is this a common problem? Do you know when it will be fixed? It just starts taping a show and displays a blue box saying that it is 100% full and no more shows can be taped until some are deleted. Earlier it had more hours stored on it and was only 6% full, and then it suddenly decides that the disk is full. Thanks for all of the great info. on the thread, it has really helped.
post #100 of 309 Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleB View Post

It seems to work fine but several times has decided that it is 100% full with only 3 or 4 hours on it.

This is a false disk full report from the guide. If you search through AVS, you'll see numerous threads on the topic. When this false disk full report happens, *SOMETIMES* you can get away with deleting a single recording. However, normally, this requires a reboot to recover (the reboot at least lets you keep the recordings, but it will take a while to repopulate the guide data).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleB View Post

Is this a common problem? Do you know when it will be fixed?

I wouldn't call it common, but its not rare either. Sorry, no forecast on when a fix might be available. If/when a fix is available, I'll post an update here.

Linden
post #101 of 309 Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info Linden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalper View Post

Everything is cool except that my picture is too large for the screen.

I had the same problem, took me a day to figure it out. I had pushed "enter" on the remote which increases the picture size for high def. Just push it again to turn off the large picture.
post #102 of 309 Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Could somebody look at the label on Pace Vegas set top box and tell me where it is made please.
post #103 of 309 Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I couldn't resist the $1 per month price so I switched to this from the Motorola 3412 box. Since there isn't a lot of information out there for it, I thought I could contribute a bit by writing about it. It won't be as detailed as the previous first impressions I wrote, but hopefully it can help some people...

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #104 of 309 Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin1471 View Post

Could somebody look at the label on Pace Vegas set top box and tell me where it is made please.

The one I have is "Made in China", November 2006.

While looking for that, I noticed there is a little white sticky label thingy on the side that says "Warranty void if broken or removed". I guess they really don't want anyone to open them up and start messing around

post #105 of 309 Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake65 View Post

I didn't check the firmware or TVG version, however I can confirm that 30-second skip is fully functional on my vegas STB now. Good times!

So i would assume they did the upgrades together for both. At least with in the past week.

Can you let me know how you got the 30 second skip to work? This is the only function I really miss from my Dishnetwork DVR days.

Thanks in advance.
post #106 of 309 Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devong67 View Post

Can you let me know how you got the 30 second skip to work? This is the only function I really miss from my Dishnetwork DVR days.

Thanks in advance.

hope this helps...

Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice.
Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button.
Type in the code 00173.
Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (i used the F2 button i think). The "Cable" button will blink twice if successful
post #107 of 309 Old 05-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Hello --

Just got a TDC-575D, and the first thing I noticed is that the Enter (ie HD Zoom) button does not work like it did on my old box/remote. I would like to be able to push , for example "7 Enter" to change the box to channel 7, as I am used to doing. Instead, when I push "7 Enter" the number 7 appears for a second, and then the whole image zooms. Particularly since this box is not useful for HD... this is less than helpful!!

Is there any way to get rid of the Zoom feature, or to remap the HD Zoom key to be the Enter key again??

Thanks!
post #108 of 309 Old 05-13-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchoose2 View Post

Hello --

Just got a TDC-575D, and the first thing I noticed is that the Enter (ie HD Zoom) button does not work like it did on my old box/remote.

The '#' key should perform zoom operations. Could you let me know if the '#' key is working?

Linden
post #109 of 309 Old 05-13-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchoose2 View Post

Hello --

Just got a TDC-575D, and the first thing I noticed is that the Enter (ie HD Zoom) button does not work like it did on my old box/remote. I would like to be able to push , for example "7 Enter" to change the box to channel 7, as I am used to doing. Instead, when I push "7 Enter" the number 7 appears for a second, and then the whole image zooms. Particularly since this box is not useful for HD... this is less than helpful!!

Is there any way to get rid of the Zoom feature, or to remap the HD Zoom key to be the Enter key again??

Thanks!

I never press the HD-Zoom-Enter, instead I use the OK/Select button in the middle of the remote for that... Alternately you can type the three-digit number (eg 007) instead of pressing Enter... I think there is also an auto-tune option in the setup menus, but i forgot exactly how it works.

The HD-Zoom can still be helpful when watching letterboxed SD material on the Pace Vegas

post #110 of 309 Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a pattern here, we just need to be able to recognize it.

The first thing that comes to my mind is Ch. 13 (CW) is a likely a locally encoded analog channel whereas Fox Reality Channel is a national feed.

I'd like for you to see if this problem happens on all (or some) of your locally encoded channels.

Then I'd like to you pick some national channels and see if trick functions work ok on those channels.

Hi Lindend, thanks for all your posts on the Pace! They helped me in getting brave enough to give it a try...

I tested the FF thing and it happened on every "analog" (2-99) channel I tried (I didn't try them all, but I tried both "A" and "B" analogs). It happens on both tuners, and also on programs in the live buffer and recorded on the hard disk.

So far I have not seen this happen in any of the digital channels (100+)...

The good news is that the FF/BF works in moving the "tape", and the "counter" is accurately updated. The only issue is that the picture is frozen during FF/BF. When I return to playback, playback resumes at the new position...

It's obviously an issue when you are trying to locate something specific in a program. For example if you record a 3-hour show to watch an interview with a specific guest or a musical performance or something like that. A combination of the Skip button/macros can help, but given the $1/mo price I can't complain :-)

post #111 of 309 Old 05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

I tested the FF thing and it happened on every "analog" (2-99) channel I tried (I didn't try them all, but I tried both "A" and "B" analogs). It happens on both tuners, and also on programs in the live buffer and recorded on the hard disk.

Ok, given the symptoms you describe, I believe I know what is going on. I will alert everyone when a fix is available.

Linden
post #112 of 309 Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI,

Vegas Firmware release 9.24 contains a fix for trick functions on Analog/Digital Simulcast (ADS) channels first reported by peggypwr1.

As usual, I can't tell you when your particular provider will roll out or plans to roll out this release. However, I do know its already available at several sites.

Linden
post #113 of 309 Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

I just got a Pace TDC 575D DVR from Comcast in Utah. I noticed the Network cable connection on the back and so I looked it up on the internet. Apparently, it is for "future use". When the Comcast guy came and installed the DVR, he accessed this cool setup menu, that showed the IP address Comcast used to communicate with the box (I assume).

My question is does anyone know how to get into that special setup menu, because I want to see if there is anything in there about the network card. Call me a hacker, but as a computer programmer and a networking person, I am really curious to know what I can do if I can connect it to the Internet. Thanks in advance.

After I posted this message I found the message which explained how to get into the setup menu by pressing the power button then the select button. I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to do that and I have not been successful. Any other thoughts?

D
post #114 of 309 Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

I never press the HD-Zoom-Enter, instead I use the OK/Select button in the middle of the remote for that... Alternately you can type the three-digit number (eg 007) instead of pressing Enter... I think there is also an auto-tune option in the setup menus, but i forgot exactly how it works.

The HD-Zoom can still be helpful when watching letterboxed SD material on the Pace Vegas

Sorry for the confusion before. It looks like my problem with HD Zoom being where the Enter button used to be is an issue with my remote (the comcast silver remote), and not the DVR at all. Thanks for your help.

I did manage to remap the HD Zoom key to be OK/Select (essentially like it was on the older remotes), which was what I wanted to do. If anyone is interested in details, see here:

(search wikibooks for "How to Program the Remote"--can't post URLs here)

and for details on how to program other devices to your exacting specifications using the comcast silver remote, see here:

(search google for "hi-fi remote" --- can't post URLs here...)

But note that most places where they refer to a 3-digit code, you will need to put 00 in front of their 3-digit code.

Cheers!
post #115 of 309 Old 05-15-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogars View Post

I just got a Pace TDC 575D DVR from Comcast in Utah. I noticed the Network cable connection on the back and so I looked it up on the internet. Apparently, it is for "future use". When the Comcast guy came and installed the DVR, he accessed this cool setup menu, that showed the IP address Comcast used to communicate with the box (I assume).

The Ethernet port is not active on the TDC575D.

Quote:

After I posted this message I found the message which explained how to get into the setup menu by pressing the power button then the select button.

Are you pressing the power button while watching TV? If so, pressing select within a second or so of the power button should bring you into diagnostics.

Linden
post #116 of 309 Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI,

Vegas Firmware release 9.24 contains a fix for trick functions on Analog/Digital Simulcast (ADS) channels first reported by peggypwr1.

As usual, I can't tell you when your particular provider will roll out or plans to roll out this release. However, I do know its already available at several sites.

Thanks for keeping us updated! This reminds me to check which firmware version I'm running on :-)

post #117 of 309 Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After I posted this message I found the message which explained how to get into the setup menu by pressing the power button then the select button. I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to do that and I have not been successful. Any other thoughts?

In addition to Lindend's comments, if the DVR is recording a program, it won't power down. Instead it will bring up the three-option screen that tells you to "swap tuner, or stop the recording or go back".

post #118 of 309 Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM

I have followed the process mentioned in earlier posts to display the diagnostic screen. TV on ,press power and then select button, but the unit turns off, no diagnostics. I have a comcast remote and pace tdc575d. Is the remote using the wrong codes? I have tried 0476,1376,and 1877.

Thanks
post #119 of 309 Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_niles View Post

I have followed the process mentioned in earlier posts to display the diagnostic screen. TV on ,press power and then select button, but the unit turns off, no diagnostics. I have a comcast remote and pace tdc575d. Is the remote using the wrong codes? I have tried 0476,1376,and 1877.

Thanks

I think if you have the "RF Bypass ON" option it will not bring up the diagnostics.

I can get to the diagnostics page with the same setup (comcast remote, and pace 575d) with RF Bypass OFF. I have firmware version 9.18.

post #120 of 309 Old 05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Basically about once a day the box would freeze on a "transition" operation, eg when switching tuners, or at the end of a program, or when switching from one recorded program to another. The freezes only happened during operation. It never froze on its own and so far no overnight issues (which were occasional with the Motorolas). Maybe the box didn't like me :-(

Is anyone else getting this type of freezes?

I switched to a new box to see if the problem was in the box or the firmware or the cabling/setup or something else.

Both boxes are firmware 9.18

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page