Pace Vegas TDC575D SD-DVR - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 309 Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfanatik View Post

Hi, I've got a Pace box and a Comcast DVR remote, and can't seem to get them to talk to each other. The cable is hooked into the box and then out to the TV, but the POWER light stays red. I tried reprogramming the remote, but without the unit on it doesn't seem to work, and the remote is the only way to turn the box on and off so... also I tried entering the 5 digit codes (as the instructions say to do) but it does the "double blink" after four of the numbers are entered.

What am I missing?

Depending on the version of the remote the code will be either 4 or 5 digits (5 is for the new ones). If set to the wrong cable code you have to 'unlock' the cable button first (some remotes in MA meant for Moto/Pace boxes were preprogrammed with SA codes). Info is in the Moto DVR wiki, remote section (toward the bottom of the page, factory reset), on how to do this, new code should be 0476 or 00476).

Just my 2¢
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 309 Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie42 View Post

I just got a Pace TDC575D from Comcast and it has an intermittent problem: when it is fast forwarding (>>>) the screen will freeze, but the progress bar advances and the dvr is actually advancing through the program. My firmware version is 9.18. Anyone know if 9.24 fixes this? Or if anything else does?

Thanks,
Bill

I had exactly the same problem as you describe. When I exchanged the box this particular problem went away. Both boxes were using firmware version 9.18. Other people also reported this problem at the start of this thread

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #183 of 309 Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM

I got my box about a week ago...it's been working fine until today. Now it won't turn on at all. Symptoms, etc:
-no lights at all in the front
-yes it's plugged in (I tested the outlet with another device...it's OK)
-when plugged in, the optical audio out port on the back glows red, so it seems to be getting power
-when it's plugged in, the TV receives a signal from the cable. I can't change the channel or do anything else. When I unplug the box, the TV goes to static.

I called Comcast (in the philly area) and they had me unplug it for a minute then plug it back in. Nothing happened. They tried to send a reset (or something like that), but it seemed like they couldn't detect the box at all.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
post #184 of 309 Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgourdo View Post

I got my box about a week ago...it's been working fine until today. Now it won't turn on at all. Symptoms, etc:
-no lights at all in the front
-yes it's plugged in (I tested the outlet with another device...it's OK)
-when plugged in, the optical audio out port on the back glows red, so it seems to be getting power
-when it's plugged in, the TV receives a signal from the cable. I can't change the channel or do anything else. When I unplug the box, the TV goes to static.

I called Comcast (in the philly area) and they had me unplug it for a minute then plug it back in. Nothing happened. They tried to send a reset (or something like that), but it seemed like they couldn't detect the box at all.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

I have not seen this problem with any of the DVRs I tried. It does not surprise me though

Can you tune any analog channel from the signal off the wall using a TV or VCR? It seems to be sensitive to the existence of the signal.

post #185 of 309 Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

I have two of these....and they are crashing with overwhelming regualrity. I think its something to do with flipping between the twin tuners. As that has been the prompting of the crashes in may instance

The flipping is done via the programmed macro.

other issues.

When fast forwarding....the picture is often lost on the higher speeds.
Hour markers are not placed on the recordings....so finding or skipping up a half hour at a time is impossbile.

I would be fine with a 15 minute fast jump...and just hitting 4 times for an hour.

When I as for a show to be recorded on Fox everday....Oreilly Factor....it tapes it 4 times no matter what I call it out to do. Something in the way Comcast identifes the show makes each show look like its brand new.....all settings fail. Each show looks new to the DVR

When I try to set up a manual recording of a specific time period. I can not schedule to repeat that time zone to repeat.

This DVR has not be tested by an agressive QA team. Plenty of easy fixes that programmers just need to be told to do it. This DVR is buggy and more or less a BETA released to the public
post #186 of 309 Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

When I as for a show to be recorded on Fox everday....Oreilly Factor....it tapes it 4 times no matter what I call it out to do. Something in the way Comcast identifes the show makes each show look like its brand new.....all settings fail. Each show looks new to the DVR
When I try to set up a manual recording of a specific time period. I can not schedule to repeat that time zone to repeat.

When setting up the manual recording set the channel & time, when it prompts to set recording use next option down which should be 'recording settings' & set advanced options (frequency) there. Some work definitely needs to be done with the 'New' or 'repeat' recording options though.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #187 of 309 Old 07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

I have two of these....and they are crashing with overwhelming regualrity. I think its something to do with flipping between the twin tuners. As that has been the prompting of the crashes in may instance

The flipping is done via the programmed macro.

other issues.

When fast forwarding....the picture is often lost on the higher speeds.
Hour markers are not placed on the recordings....so finding or skipping up a half hour at a time is impossbile.

I would be fine with a 15 minute fast jump...and just hitting 4 times for an hour.

This DVR has not be tested by an agressive QA team. Plenty of easy fixes that programmers just need to be told to do it. This DVR is buggy and more or less a BETA released to the public

Yes, this DVR is very crash/freeze-friendly! It seems to have file-system issues which cause all these crashes when transitioning from one thing to another.

As far as your O'Recording, the most efficient way is to do what the poster above suggest. An alternative is to create a series recording and tell it to only keep one copy around. But it will unnecessarily be recording and deleting the same episode each day, and if you have an older episode that you want to keep, it will probably delete it.

Another option is if the program before it is only shown once a day, you can set up a series recording for that program, and have it end 1 hour after its actual end. So it will record the O'Factor as well.

post #188 of 309 Old 07-14-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

One of the Comcast reps told me that this box, unlike all the other Motorola DVRs, is designed to be turned off when not in use (eg overnight). This is the first time I heard this. Has anyone else heard this?

post #189 of 309 Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM

ok, first off, i live a ways north of pittsburgh pa, and i have armstrong cable.

i've had the pace vegas with firmware 9.18 for about 3 months now, and it's been nothing but trouble

right now i have a much larger issue, than random reboots, and loss of programming information

last night i set it to record a program, the 4400 specifically. today i turned it on, and got a 'no disc space blah blah blah' message, i should NOT have this message as there should have been a total of 3 hours on the dvr at this point...
so i bring up the list of recordings, and i see the 4400 hundreds of times. each one listing as 1 min. none of them would play anything.
so i started deleting them, all of them, everything by the time i got done deleting all the 4400 'videos' and 2 episodes of monk, it said 96% full, with NO recordings.

i left the listing screen and came back, and it went back up to 99% full

again NO recordings

i went into diagnostics, and it still lists all of the videos even though i said to delete them

power cycling the box doesn't work, and i can't figure out how people accidentally format the drive since i can't figure out how to do it intentionally

i'm hoping someone knows what to do other than call the cable co and get a new box
post #190 of 309 Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm ready to call it, the gloves are off, no more mr nice guy to this DVR. After three different boxes and countless hours of usage the verdict is in: This DVR is a POS if you plan to use it.. There is no free lunch, that's why this was offered at $1/month or even free in some cases. No wonder it is no longer offered. I really wanted to like this DVR, and I tried to be as nice to it as possible. But enough is enough.

Pace and Comcast should act like grown-ups and take ownership of the problem and admit to the file system bugs of this DVR instead of the usual blah-blah-blah. The issues are chronicled in the link below:

post #191 of 309 Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

I'm ready to call it, the gloves are off, no more mr nice guy to this DVR. After three different boxes and countless hours of usage the verdict is in: This DVR is a POS if you plan to use it.. There is no free lunch, that's why this was offered at $1/month or even free in some cases. No wonder it is no longer offered. I really wanted to like this DVR, and I tried to be as nice to it as possible. But enough is enough.

Pace and Comcast should act like grown-ups and take ownership of the problem and admit to the file system bugs of this DVR instead of the usual blah-blah-blah. The issues are chronicled in the link below:

Actually the reason they were given out so cheaply was to try to get them all out before the July 1 FCC deadline date, otherwise the boxes couldn't ever be used. The crash issues are being looked at & firmware is being worked on to fix it (don't hold your breath).

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #192 of 309 Old 07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Actually the reason they were given out so cheaply was to try to get them all out before the July 1 FCC deadline date, otherwise the boxes couldn't ever be used. The crash issues are being looked at & firmware is being worked on to fix it (don't hold your breath).

Yeah that too was a factor but they were not including Motorola DVRs for $1 or discounting by the promo price (eg pay the difference between the promo and the HD price)

The Pace has a cable card slot, but I don't know if it is (or can be made) compatible/compliant with CableCard 2.0. It is certainly compliant with crashing and freezing :-) Are the Moto DVRs (or can they be made) compliant/compatible with Cable Card 2.0?

post #193 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtw View Post

i went into diagnostics, and it still lists all of the videos even though i said to delete them

power cycling the box doesn't work, and i can't figure out how people accidentally format the drive since i can't figure out how to do it intentionally

On the main diagnostics page, press

Replay
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

buttons on your remote

*This may be labeled List on your remote

This will bring up a format screen. At that point, you can choose to format your Hard drive.

Note: Comcast customers won't see the format screen with associated options. When you press that key sequence, the drive will format automatically.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #194 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the Comcast reps told me that this box, unlike all the other Motorola DVRs, is designed to be turned off when not in use (eg overnight). This is the first time I heard this. Has anyone else heard this?

When Pace settops are placed in standby, they spin down the HDD. This differs from competitor's solutions.

Linden
Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #195 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Pace has a cable card slot, but I don't know if it is (or can be made) compatible/compliant with CableCard 2.0.

The slot you see on Vegas isn't a CableCARD slot. We do offer a version of Vegas with separable security functionality (i.e. it can accept an M-Card).

I intend on posting a firmware release note thread for that box (and other CableCARD boxes) relatively shortly.

Linden
post #196 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

NcaaHoops,

Quote:

Pace and Comcast should act like grown-ups and take ownership of the problem

I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing. You indicate that you think Pace needs to improve its handling of the issue. We have acknowledged there is a bug here and have been trying to replicate it in our labs (so far no luck).

How do you think our handling of the situation could be improved?

Quote:

and admit to the file system bugs of this DVR instead of the usual blah-blah-blah. The issues are chronicled in the link below:

I don't see any evidence that there is a file system bug in your reports. There definitely is a software bug, but the symptoms are not consistent with a file system issue. I realize that from your perspective it may appear this during continued investigation into the issue.

BTW,

Given your user name, who's your favorite college bball team?

Linden
post #197 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindend View Post

On the main diagnostics page, press

Replay
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

buttons on your remote

*This may be labeled List on your remote

This will bring up a format screen. At that point, you can choose to format your Hard drive.

Note: Comcast customers won't see the format screen with associated options. When you press that key sequence, the drive will format automatically.

sweet, that worked, fixed it, now i just need to wait a few hours while programming repopulates

fyi apparently armstrong also auto formats with the keysequence
post #198 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When Pace settops are placed in standby, they spin down the HDD. This differs from competitor's solutions.

Thanks! So is it recommended to turn them off at night or when they are not going to be used for a few hours? Or it doesn't matter one way or the other?

The reason I'm asking is because part of the reason Comcast recommended to keep the Moto DVRs on all the time was because they seemed to get more flaky/buggy when they were turned off/on/off/on. I do not know if the problem was with Moto boxes or with the "Comcast software" which could perhaps affect the Pace box if its the latter.

post #199 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The slot you see on Vegas isn't a CableCARD slot. We do offer a version of Vegas with separable security functionality (i.e. it can accept an M-Card).

I intend on posting a firmware release note thread for that box (and other CableCARD boxes) relatively shortly.

Thanks for the correction! I saw the slot and I (wrongly) assumed it was a cable card slot.

post #200 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NcaaHoops,
I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing. You indicate that you think Pace needs to improve its handling of the issue. We have acknowledged there is a bug here and have been trying to replicate it in our labs (so far no luck).

How do you think our handling of the situation could be improved?

Thank you for taking the heat from frustrated users (like me) :-)

Since you asked, I do have some ideas, - I should be charging a consulting fee

Pace could ask Comcast for some of the boxes that were returned because of the crashing/freezing. Then Pace can take half of them in their labs for post-mortem and see if they can find the cause of the problems. The other half are used in trying to reproduce the problem. This will be telling either way: If the problem can be reproduced, then this is good. If the problem cannot be reproduced with the freezing/crashing boxes, then it points to the problem perhaps being linked to teh Comcast system. Then Pace takes these boxes and connects them to the Comcast systems in areas where users have reported having these problems, and then tries to see what is happening.

Also Pace/Comast could find volunteers that are having these problems and test/diagnose/experiment/monitor the boxes that are having the problems.

Quote:

I don't see any evidence that there is a file system bug in your reports. There definitely is a software bug, but the symptoms are not consistent with a file system issue. I realize that from your perspective it may appear this during continued investigation into the issue.

Well the reasons I think it is a file system issue are:
1) This error message at freeze/crash time: Cannot delete while file in use, close file and try again, Code: CIU
2) The freezes/crashes always happen at transitions between one pre-record program to another, end of playback, stopping/exiting playback, from live tuner to scheduled recording, and changing channels (this only with my 3rd box)
3) _sometimes_ deleting a program does not reclaim its space right away. It may take a few hours or a couple of reboots before the space is returned.
4) This only happened a couple of times: DVR kept giving me a CIU (error deleting file) error every time I changed the channel
5) Pre-recorded programs adjacent in the listing (sorted by time) to the program that the crash happened on have their "tape position" adjusted all the way to the end of the program, even though that program was not played.
6) In some occasions, after a crash/freeze/reboot, one upcoming scheduled program disappears from the list of programs to be recorded.
*) This I am only mentioning in case it might be helpful: When a recording ends or when playback ends, and the live buffer picks up, the green PLAY arrow on the front display is on, even though I have not touched the remote. This also happens when going to the background tuner. Pressing the LIVE button makes the green PLAY arrow on the front display disappear, although the picture continues to play without jumping ahead.

post #201 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah that too was a factor but they were not including Motorola DVRs for $1 or discounting by the promo price (eg pay the difference between the promo and the HD price)

The Pace has a cable card slot, but I don't know if it is (or can be made) compatible/compliant with CableCard 2.0. It is certainly compliant with crashing and freezing :-) Are the Moto DVRs (or can they be made) compliant/compatible with Cable Card 2.0?

The overstock really was the main reason, we can't keep up with the demand for the Moto boxes. As of now, after July 1st we have a lot of customers in need of Moto's for installs or service calls & we just don't have them. We get some refurbed Moto boxes & already have been getting some of the new DCH3416 (M-card/cable card) boxes but just can't keep up with demand. One thing that held up getting the Pace boxes out earlier was an issue we had in HRC cable systems towns. We just couldn't use them at all for a few months due to OnDemand not working on them till a software fix was sent out to them, between that & the fact most techs just install the Moto box when they think of DVR's.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #202 of 309 Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! So is it recommended to turn them off at night or when they are not going to be used for a few hours? Or it doesn't matter one way or the other?

There is no official recommendation per se. It depends on your usage pattern and where the box is located. If you've got it in a bedroom, it probably would be beneficial to hit the power button when not watching TV.

Just note that it will take a couple of seconds to spin the drive up once its spun down so coming out of standby won't be as fast.

Quote:

The reason I'm asking is because part of the reason Comcast recommended to keep the Moto DVRs on all the time was because they seemed to get more flaky/buggy when they were turned off/on/off/on.

To my knowledge, there are no known TV Guide or Pace firmware bugs going in/out of standby. If you look at the Tahoe thread, there are some complaints that the drive doesn't always spin down, but I haven't seen this reported on Vegas.

Linden
post #203 of 309 Old 07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no official recommendation per se. It depends on your usage pattern and where the box is located. If you've got it in a bedroom, it probably would be beneficial to hit the power button when not watching TV.

Just note that it will take a couple of seconds to spin the drive up once its spun down so coming out of standby won't be as fast.

To my knowledge, there are no known TV Guide or Pace firmware bugs going in/out of standby. If you look at the Tahoe thread, there are some complaints that the drive doesn't always spin down, but I haven't seen this reported on Vegas.

Thanks! I started shutting it down a couple of days ago when 'm not going to use it in the next 4+ hours. I haven't seen any differences/issues relating to turning it off/on so far. I like the way it recognize that you use the remote when it wakes up and doesn't go back to sleep when the pre-scheduled recording ends.

post #204 of 309 Old 07-22-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

The overstock really was the main reason, we can't keep up with the demand for the Moto boxes. As of now, after July 1st we have a lot of customers in need of Moto's for installs or service calls & we just don't have them. We get some refurbed Moto boxes & already have been getting some of the new DCH3416 (M-card/cable card) boxes but just can't keep up with demand. One thing that held up getting the Pace boxes out earlier was an issue we had in HRC cable systems towns. We just couldn't use them at all for a few months due to OnDemand not working on them till a software fix was sent out to them, between that & the fact most techs just install the Moto box when they think of DVR's.

That explains why they couldn't give me the discount on the Moto instead of getting a new Pace. If the freezing/crash bugs are resolved, the Pace boxes would be a great value for those without HDTVs or on a budget.

post #205 of 309 Old 07-26-2007, 07:26 PM

A couple of days ago, our Pace box, without warning, began displaying the wrong times, both for the current time and the times of programs. For example, right now it is 8:20pm and the box says that is it 4:07am (in the guide/info). I've unplugged it several times, and had Comcast send their reset signal (which, incidentally, seems to have knocked out the RF output completely, so we are now forced to watch via RCA output...). The programs in the guide are similarly offset, so it actually will record the program you ask it to, but it's off-putting, at best. Also, it's not offset by a full hour, so it doesn't look like timezone/dst issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Have any ideas on how to fix it? Our other cable boxes show the right time, so it doesn't look like a 'network' issue, and the Comcast guys are otherwise stumped. Help!

Thanks!
ms
post #206 of 309 Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchoose2 View Post

A couple of days ago, our Pace box, without warning, began displaying the wrong times, both for the current time and the times of programs. For example, right now it is 8:20pm and the box says that is it 4:07am (in the guide/info). I've unplugged it several times, and had Comcast send their reset signal (which, incidentally, seems to have knocked out the RF output completely, so we are now forced to watch via RCA output...). The programs in the guide are similarly offset, so it actually will record the program you ask it to, but it's off-putting, at best. Also, it's not offset by a full hour, so it doesn't look like timezone/dst issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Have any ideas on how to fix it? Our other cable boxes show the right time, so it doesn't look like a 'network' issue, and the Comcast guys are otherwise stumped. Help!

Thanks!
ms

That is a rather unique error. Do you recall anything else happening to the box before it went time-crazy? Any crashes or freezes before hand?

I did not have this problem and I do not recall reading about it in the Comcast/Moto threads, but those threads are so huge I haven't read all of the posts.

Did the Comcast guys try to connect the faulty box to one of the other RF outlets just to see what happens? And connect one of the working boxes to the outlet with the problem? This would pin-point the problem to the box, although it sounds like it is the box...

post #207 of 309 Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Question on releases...once the box is out in the field, how does it get updated? Am still having my VOD problem & in talking with Comcast, they said updating the box firmware is up to the manufacturer, not them (??). My box is on 9.18..they said they would send out a technician but if it is a documented problem with this box, I don't see how that will help - unless they replace the box with one with a newer version of firmware. But whenever I say "firmware" to the Comcast people, I am greeted with silence on the other end. Am at the point of watching dvr on one set & vod on another...and paying for the priviledge!
Thanks
post #208 of 309 Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:

That is a rather unique error. Do you recall anything else happening to the box before it went time-crazy? Any crashes or freezes before hand?

I did not have this problem and I do not recall reading about it in the Comcast/Moto threads, but those threads are so huge I haven't read all of the posts.

Did the Comcast guys try to connect the faulty box to one of the other RF outlets just to see what happens? And connect one of the working boxes to the outlet with the problem? This would pin-point the problem to the box, although it sounds like it is the box...

No, nothing else. It's possible that it we had just rebooted it when the time went crazy, and I'm pretty sure that that RF went out after the Comcast guy on the phone tried to reset it. The RF outlets all work fine. It must be the box. Is there any way to do a "harder" reset of this box than just unplugging it? It really does its best to remember the time, it seems, which is irritating when the time is off by 7 hours and 46 minutes....

Thanks!
post #209 of 309 Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsisandy View Post

Question on releases...once the box is out in the field, how does it get updated? Am still having my VOD problem & in talking with Comcast, they said updating the box firmware is up to the manufacturer, not them (??). My box is on 9.18..they said they would send out a technician but if it is a documented problem with this box, I don't see how that will help - unless they replace the box with one with a newer version of firmware. But whenever I say "firmware" to the Comcast people, I am greeted with silence on the other end. Am at the point of watching dvr on one set & vod on another...and paying for the priviledge!
Thanks

The manufacturer writes the firmware & then sends it to the cable co. so they can test it & approve it. It is then sent out, with no customer interaction, to the box. Most phone tech support & unfortunately some field techs, will give the silent (I don't know what you're talking about) treatment.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #210 of 309 Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 PM

So here's my next q...is this problem I'm having with VOD universal? Or will swapping out the box fix it. I mean, if it is universal, I would think there would be more of a revolt. If it is sporadic, how can it be firmware related. Sorry to be kind of dense here but can I be sure that swapping out the box will solve the problem? Comcast is saying this problem is "unreported" even tho I have reported it and have seen others on this forum complaining of the same issues. Even if it is a firmware problem and is corrected in future releases, it seems Comcast is way behind on uploading new firmware so that's not really going to address my issue. Maybe tivo is the only answer.
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page