Who would have the firmware update for the Motorla DVR from Comcast? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just subscribed to Comcast high definition and got the Motorola
DCT6412 box. I have the box connected to a Pioneer Elite VXS-84TXSi
receiver, which is connected to a Sony VPL-VW100 front projector through an
HDMI cable.

The problem is that the Motorola box only works through the receiver if
its connected with the composite cables. If I connect it with the HDMI
cable I get an error message saying "the set top box does not does not
support HD Content Protected Repeaters. Please use the YPbPr outputs
for your HD connection." While its saying this you can see the picture
displayed correctly in the background. After a few seconds this
message goes away and only a green screen is shown.

Now if I connect the Motorola box directly to the front projector with
the HDMI cable I get a perfect video signal. This suggests there is a
problem with the signal going through the receiver and coming out to
the front projector.

I called Pioneer and they told me that the issue is that the Motorola
box is using HDMI version 1.0, which does not support the content
protection needed to use a HDMI version 1.2 device, such as the receiver. I
was told that the solution is for Motorola to provide a firmware update
to the box.

I emailed Motorola and they said "You will need to contact Comcast to see if they have a firmware update available for this modem. You need to have 12:35 or higher to be able to connect to the receiver with HDMI."

When I called comcast they had no idea what I was talking about and said if the signal works with the composite cables and when its connected correctly the box is working and its not their problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Who should provide the firmware update? I posted a pic here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 AM

I just got a Motorola DCT 3416 box from Comcast yesterday and had the exact same problem when sending HDMI through my VSX-81TXV. I was planning to try the direct DVR -> PJ connection tonight. Based on your experience I am hopeful that it will work.

The woman I talked to last night from Comcast also had no idea what was happening. She suggested I disconnect the component cable from my PJ because it was "probably getting confused" by getting more than one signal.

-Steve
Old 01-31-2007, 04:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiebrock View Post

I called Pioneer and they told me that the issue is that the Motorola box is using HDMI version 1.0, which does not support the content protection needed to use a HDMI version 1.2 device, such as the receiver. I was told that the solution is for Motorola to provide a firmware update to the box.

I emailed Motorola and they said "You will need to contact Comcast to see if they have a firmware update available for this modem. You need to have 12:35 or higher to be able to connect to the receiver with HDMI."

When I called comcast they had no idea what I was talking about and said if the signal works with the composite cables and when its connected correctly the box is working and its not their problem.

I believe all three companies are correct. Pioneer is correct about the source of the problem; Motorola is correct about firmware version where they put in the fix; and Comcast is correct that their CSRs don't provide support for such technical issues, when there is a viable workaround (i.e., remove the receiver from the topology). Your best bet is to try to find a way to contact the engineers at your local head-end. That's who you need to talk to about this. However, cable comnpanies generally don't allow customers access to the engineers. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Same problem here, only with an Onkyo SR-874 reciever and a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV.

Comcast simply refuses to update the firmware on their boxes, despite a fix being available. Not only do they have a firmware fix, but it has been around for about 6 months!!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Liked: 11
Same problem with two different receivers (Onkyo 674, and Sony DG-1000).

You'll have to wait for Comcast to push out a fix. Their certification process is painfully slow, so you'll be waiting a while.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiebrock View Post

I just subscribed to Comcast high definition and got the Motorola
DCT6412 box. I have the box connected to a Pioneer Elite VXS-84TXSi
receiver, which is connected to a Sony VPL-VW100 front projector through an
HDMI cable.

The problem is that the Motorola box only works through the receiver if
its connected with the composite cables. If I connect it with the HDMI
cable I get an error message saying "the set top box does not does not
support HD Content Protected Repeaters. Please use the YPbPr outputs
for your HD connection." While its saying this you can see the picture
displayed correctly in the background. After a few seconds this
message goes away and only a green screen is shown.

Now if I connect the Motorola box directly to the front projector with
the HDMI cable I get a perfect video signal. This suggests there is a
problem with the signal going through the receiver and coming out to
the front projector.

I called Pioneer and they told me that the issue is that the Motorola
box is using HDMI version 1.0, which does not support the content
protection needed to use a HDMI version 1.2 device, such as the receiver. I
was told that the solution is for Motorola to provide a firmware update
to the box.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Who should provide the firmware update? I posted a pic here:

I have the exact same issue. I think I have a work-around though which I'm going to try this weekend.

My receiver will upconvert component video to HDMI.

So I'm going to try running component from my Comcast 3412 to my receiver. The receiver will then upconvert that and output it over HDMI to my projector.

So I'm wondering if that will work, since the initial signal received by the receiver will be component (not HDMI). It will just output it via HDMI.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I have the exact same issue. I think I have a work-around though which I'm going to try this weekend.

My receiver will upconvert component video to HDMI.

So I'm going to try running component from my Comcast 3412 to my receiver. The receiver will then upconvert that and output it over HDMI to my projector.

So I'm wondering if that will work, since the initial signal received by the receiver will be component (not HDMI). It will just output it via HDMI.

That should definitely work. My only concern would be picture quality with multiple conversions going on (D/A in the cable box, A/D in the receiver). I think I tried the same thing successfully, but ultimately went with a direct HDMI connection between the cable box and the PJ. Of course that only works if you have no other HDMI sources -- currently I don't. Good luck.

-Steve
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 PM

why are you guys so intent on running the cable signal through the receiver??? Just go cable box HDMI to TV. You can still run optical audio out of the cable box into the receiver. Seems like a waste to run component just to upconver to HDMI.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenet View Post

why are you guys so intent on running the cable signal through the receiver??? Just go cable box HDMI to TV. You can still run optical audio out of the cable box into the receiver. Seems like a waste to run component just to upconver to HDMI.

So I can have BOTH my DVD player and cable box using HDMI (my projector only has one HDMI input). And so the receiver can do the switching, making it less cumbersome to change between the DVD player and the cable box.

Component is my only choice direct to projector with HDMI input already used on my projector.

I would love to stick with HDMI, but firmware of the morotorola cable box doesnt' allow it to be switched right now.