Fios Dvr - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking of making the switch to Verizon Fios. I currently have vonage, Direct TV and Optimum on Line and that idea of saving money by having all three on one bill is tempting. The one thing that is holding me back is that I really like the Direct TV DVR recording options and I hate cables's DVR. Can anyone tell me how FIOS Multi Room DVR works. Can you create season passes and search by different categories like actor, movie and name. I am trying to get the info from Verizon and I am not having any luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 AM

I am not sure of all the features of Verizon Fios. I do know that you can use the new HD Series 3 Tivo DVR with FIOS. Which would give you all of the features that you mentioned.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Screenshots of the FiOS DVR

The FiOS DVR has the equivalent of season pass, but it's not as easy / intuitive to use as the Tivo. FiOS is currently working on a major STB/DVR software update due in the first half of 2007 that will significantly improve usability and functionality, but even then, it is not likely to match the Tivo. The FiOS DVR has dual-tuners and does HDTV.

As noted above, if you aren't satisfied with it, you could buy the Tivo Series3, which works great with FiOS.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

What size HD do the DVR's come with. My Comcast box is 120 but you can get 160GB if they have em.

There is no "best", best is what's best for you...

Have you tried searching first?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2007, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Those screen shots were all I needed. Looks a lot a better than the cable dvr systems I have seen. The multi room DVR is 160GB. Another quick question can I use an older pioneer tivo/dvd burner with my Fios. Are any of the TIVO products compatible with FIOS?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 AM

I've had FiOS for a week now. I will say I like the the verizon DVR a bit better than then what I had with cablevision (sa8300HD). But as others have stated it still doesn't have the polish of a tivo or replayTV.
I had no problem integrating a replayTV with the standard def box. should be same for your pioneer.
Assuming everything goes smoothly with the install, yuo should be quite pleased with the services/price vs. what you have now.

good luck.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-27-2007, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I have always had the TIVO/DTV boxes all in one. Is the TIVO series II just as compatiable as the series III with FIOS. I am planning on getting the multiroom DVR from Verizon but I will also put the TIVO series II or pioneer TIVO DVD recorder in my bedroom. Can someone explain how I would hook it up to my FIOS Std box.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM

The SA Tivo does work with Fios as I have been using my TIVO for almost a year with it. Verizon has not enabled the serial port on the stb so you have to use the IR cable to change channels, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page