Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The HDHomerun is a ATSC/QAM dual-tuner device for a computer. It does not do anything on its own. I would highly recommend the HD extender because it avoids hassles with PC->TV connections, PC remote control, PC audio output, and PC picture quality. That said, if you really want to use a PC and you already have a remote and sound card with optical output, you can.

If I use PC to avoid the cost of an extender, do i get the same picture quality? Would that increase the minimum requirements for the PC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseeb View Post

If I use PC to avoid the cost of an extender, do i get the same picture quality?

As long as the machine in question has the horsepower to play back the content, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haseeb View Post

Would that increase the minimum requirements for the PC?

Definitely. It takes a fairly beefy machine to play back MPEG-2 HD 720p/1080i content, especially if there's the possibility that it's going to be capturing one or more streams to disk while it's also playing back a stream.
post #33 of 39 Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

Definitely. It takes a fairly beefy machine to play back MPEG-2 HD 720p/1080i content, especially if there's the possibility that it's going to be capturing one or more streams to disk while it's also playing back a stream.

I have found that even simply playing live HD from a tuner card takes more horsepower that I would have imagined.

I have a Hauppauge HVR-1800 card.

The PC is an AMD64 4200 X2 (dual core) 2GB of fast OCZ RAM and 2 nVidia 6800GT cards in SLI mode and SATA-2 hard drives.

This PC can play most newer video games at 1600x1440 resolution and still maintain a fast smooth frame rate but I get frequent audio dropouts when just trying to watch HDTV channels, and recording HD has been disappointing to say the least.

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #34 of 39 Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM

If you get a video capture card and use it as a DVR to record HDTV does it record in some weird proprietary format or can I have it directly record onto my Buffalo LinkStation 1TB NAS which I already have tons of AVI movies and TV shows which I watch on my xbox 360.

Need lighting for your home theater?
http://www.lightmyworld.com
post #35 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 264
It doesn't record anything, it just passes the native HD MPEG-2 stream to the computer where it is written to disk. There's no transcoding involved.
post #36 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM

But will it be in a format the xbox 360 can playback? Because on the torrents when you download TV shows in HD they are almost all .MKV files and the xbox will not play those.

Need lighting for your home theater?
http://www.lightmyworld.com
post #37 of 39 Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntblu View Post

But will it be in a format the xbox 360 can playback? Because on the torrents when you download TV shows in HD they are almost all .MKV files and the xbox will not play those.

That's not how the shows were recorded. People recompress their shows using AVC for illicit internet redistribution.

Your shows will record in MPEG-2 format, either as a TS or MPG depending on the product.
post #38 of 39 Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm in the same boat - looking for an OTA DVR. I found this thread and wanted to bump and see if anyone has any new input since the last post many months ago.

I don't have cable and currently record OTA TV using my Tivo Series 1, controlling an OTA DV tuner.

I'm in the process of upgrading to an HD setup and would like to be able to continue recording shows over the air, without cable or Tivo fees (my old Series 1 has a lifetime subscription - I don't want to "upgrade" to a newer model and then have to pay a monthly fee).

It seems pretty amazing this market isn't being met.... a lot of us have ditched cable since the OTA went digital (it looks a lot better than analog cable, even on my crappy SD TVs). I'm not interested in giving the cable company any more money, and what comes over the air is all I want.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: sorry for bumping this old thread - this was the newest the search function found. I have since found this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72197&page=111

More detail on this unit:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071
post #39 of 39 Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Liked: 11
Yup, that's the only real answer, in that lower price range. (There is, of course, the TiVo HD, but that runs more than double. It's really best for folks who want a DVR that can handle either OTA or cable.)

I think the market isn't being satisfied because the market really isn't all that big, at least with regard to folks willing to pay enough to make offering such a device worthwhile.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page