SA 8300HD, faint, scrolling red/green bars - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got an SA 8300HD from TWC Cincinnati. I've had it for ages, connected through my Onkyo receiver via component cables, which is in turn connected to my 55" SONY LCD.

Long story short, this weekend I added a PS3 to my arsenal, and while connecting it I noticed these narrow horizontal bars that were very faint - moving from the bottom of my screen to the top. It appears they alternate between green and red, but most of the time they are very, very faint. I assume at first it's the PS3, since it was the new kid on the block, but after troubleshooting further - it seems it's the cable box.

Here's how I arrive at this conclusion:

These scrolling bars were present on Video 4 (on the TV), which is what I had my Onkyo component OUT connected to. ALL my devices are output via Video 4 on the TV, including the SA 8300, Wii, and 360. I ran the PS3 directly TV for now on Video 5, but that's another story.

In any event, these bars are present when viewing anything from the SA, Wii, or XBOX - all on the TV's Video 4. I now assume my cable to the TV from the Onkyo is bad, or the receiver might be bad. I try a new cable, still it persists. Finally after different cable swaps and what not, I remove the SA 8300 from the mix - PROBLEM GONE. Finally, I connect the SA 8300 directly to Video 4 on the TV, to eliminate the receiver as a variable. The problem persists when the SA is directly connected, albeit slightly less easy to detect than before. However, clearly when the SA is removed from the receiver, I no longer have the issue.

What's counterintuitive about all this is the SA is plugged into Video 2 on the Onkyo, I'm watching Video 1 on the Onkyo, and yet these bars are still present. Unplug the SA from the Onkyo and they go away. Why would the Onkyo allow that messed up signal to interfere with an entirely different video source (actually the bars were evident on ALL the video sources in the Onkyo)? In fact, the Onkyo seemed to amplify the messed up signal as it was more intense when passed through the Onkyo, then when the SA was directly connected to the TV. One thing is for sure, no SA - no problem in any configuration I could come up with.

I'm going to try to swap the SA tomorrow for a new one, but I'm just curious if anybody else has seen something like this. Perhaps I don't have a bad unit, but I've done something wrong? Any ideas at all would be appreciated, this was quite maddening when all I wanted to do was connect my PS3 and play some Resistance.

On a side note, when connecting the SA or PS3 to my SONY TV via HDMI - I briefly see a message flash on screen about HDCP not being supported. Is it really true that my one-year old $2400 SONY TV cannot display HDMI delivered content from my $600 PS3? Oh the humanity?!

I apologize for my verbosity, just trying to be thorough. Thanks in advance!

I turned on the XBOX 360 and paused a DVD, there were the faint lines scrolling upward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

The new unit didn't fix this issue. As soon as I plug the 8300 back into the TV or receiver, these faint horizontal bars start up the screen again - green - red - green - red - over and over. Doesn't matter what video source I use on the receiver OR TV ... connect the 8300 with component cables to either device and there they are - disconnect and they are gone.

Very strange. Nobody has any idea what this is, but trust me I see it clearly. It's clearly not present on games and DVD's (unless of course the 8300 is connected).
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisutley View Post

The new unit didn't fix this issue. As soon as I plug the 8300 back into the TV or receiver, these faint horizontal bars start up the screen again - green - red - green - red - over and over. Doesn't matter what video source I use on the receiver OR TV ... connect the 8300 with component cables to either device and there they are - disconnect and they are gone.

Very strange. Nobody has any idea what this is, but trust me I see it clearly. It's clearly not present on games and DVD's (unless of course the 8300 is connected).

I've been told many times that these types of lines are characteristic of a ground loop problem. There are various types of isolators available (RF coax, s-video, etc) for this problem but I won't profess to know which one, if any, would resolve your issue. I'm having my own issues with TWC and an SA 3250HD box (in the DVD Recorders forum).

I hope you get yours resolved!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to the folks that replied. TWC did seem to think it was a voltage on the line issue, but 3 visits and extensive testing seems to have ruled that out.

Here's the scoop as of today ... this problem only occurs when the PS3 and TWC are connected at the same time. Remove the PS3 and the problem goes away, remove the TWC and the problem goes away. It's never present with just one, but the combo makes my TV suck.

The TWC people seem to think perhaps I have a short somewhere, and that the SciAtl HD and PS3 are somehow feeding back the garbage? I don't even know what that means really, and I'm not sure what to do next. I have a suspicion that if the PS3 was connected over HDMI this might all go away. Great excuse to upgrade to the SXRD 60", but not particularly practical or even a guaranteed solution.

Ugh.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

I had the same issue and then I switched it to HDMI and all was good.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page